Motorbike ok in Siem Reap?

Jul 24, 2005
I noticed many people passing by Siem Reap in this forum so I assume that it would be fine for me as well. However, in my Lonely Planet for Southeast Asia (p58, printed March 2004) it says that driving motorbikes in Siem Reap is currently prohibited. Does anyone know about any problem driving there or heard anything similar?

john

Oct 6, 2003
Swed Rider, No problem riding in Siem Reap. I was there several months back. It is worth the stop. John

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
You are not allowed to drive with a motorbike at the temple area. They will quite sure stop you and take you to the police station for questioning. You may get a permit to visit the Ankor Wat area by motorbike by applying for a permit at the ASPARA authority situated a few km before ANKOR WAT main entrance and after that you must go to the police station 200 meter before the main entrance and present the paper for the police. Since the main road to Anglong Veng goes through the temple area you can also go to the police station direct and tell the police that you need to travel through the temple area and they will permit you but if you are caught visiting the temples you are in trouble... I*ve been in Siem Reap with a motobike first time in 1992 and been there every year since several times a year and the last three times this year they have been very strict with no foreigners on motobike. HIKO

hiko

Aug 7, 2003
Can confirm all the above, even guys with fluent Khemer are having problems without the permit.

Hey Hiko,Im in Taiwan, back in Thailand later this month. Bike has brassbronze in the oil filter dont know from where yet.
XR650R Harry the Finn. ([email [email protected]][email protected][/email])

Jul 24, 2005
Excellent info guys. Basically I will ride there and if I can get a permit I will ride to the temple area as well. Thanks alot for your replies!!

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by harrythefinn

Can confirm all the above, even guys with fluent Khemer are having problems without the permit.

Hey Hiko,Im in Taiwan, back in Thailand later this month. Bike has brassbronze in the oil filter dont know from where yet.

hiko

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Harri I go next week to Cambodia and hope to see at the end of the month. Probably your bike is to old and repaired to much so maybee you should look for a new bike HIKO PS Why you not answer me in Finnish....

quote:

Originally posted by harrythefinn

hiko

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
Swedish Rider SIEAM REAP ÄR EN PROVINS OCH EN STOR STAD DÄR KAN DU ÅKA MED MOTORCYKEL HUR MYCKET DU VILL MEN "ANKOR WAT TEMPLE AREA" ADMINISTRERAS AV EN SPECIELL ORGANISATION ASPARA SOM I PRINCIP BESTÄMMER ÖVER OMRÅDET. OM DU INTE HAR MYCKET TID SÅ LÄMNA CYKELN PÅ HOTELLET OCH TITTA PÅ TEMPELN MED EN MOTOTAXI. ATT SKAFFA TILLSTÅND UTAN KHMER KUNSKAP KAN TA DIG ETT ETT PAR DAGAR... HIKO

quote:

Originally posted by SwedishRider

Excellent info guys. Basically I will ride there and if I can get a permit I will ride to the temple area as well. Thanks alot for your replies!!

hiko

Aug 7, 2003
Hiko,
Vaikea kirjotaa Suomea, laita minulle suoraan e-mail.Etin uutta pyoraa mutta kilven kansa.(KTM?)

XR650R Harri.

JimCA2

Jan 3, 2004
I rode thru in october. bought a pass as I wanted to go to banteay srey. guy mentioned the police stn behind the ticket booth. told him it was my bike and I was on my way to banteay srey and this is the same road to anlong veng, he said ok tell it to the cops inside. lunch time and no cops around to banteay srey. after that all back road stuff to banteay samre and bakong. rentals even from pnh have more of a problem.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by SilverhawkUSA

Hey, come on guys! We illiterate, one language, type of guys want to know what is going on also.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

hiko

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
SORRY SILWERHAWK I AM A NEW USER BUT I WAS SO HAPPY THAT HARRYTHE FINN AND SWEDISHRIDER ANSWERED ME THE SAME TIME SO I USED MY SKILL TO SPEAK BOTH LANGUAGE. FROM NOW ON I SPEAK ENGLISH WHICH IS MY GRANDFATHERS LANGUAGE hiko "WHAT IS THE HECK"

hiko

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Hiko-
That is quite all right. I wish I could speak more than one language. I speak only English and have had a terrible time trying to learn Thai. Good to see "new users" on the board.

quote:

FROM NOW ON I SPEAK ENGLISH WHICH IS MY GRANDFATHERS LANGUAGE hiko "WHAT IS THE HECK"

"Heck" is an alternative word (more polite) for "hell". This quote was from Marilyn Monroe. It means instead of thinking toO much or too long about a situation just say "Why not? (What the hell!)" and DO IT. You usually find you were correct, or at least had fun trying.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

Sep 22, 2004
Greetings from Hidden Cambodia Dirt Bike Tours Siem Reap.

They dont want any dirt bikes in the main temles area, dont think there is much enjoyment riding a dirt bike from temple to temple with it full of moterbikes, taxis, busses, bicycles and tuk tuks anyway and thousands of people.

For heading out of Siem Reap, 60 to 100kms, have a look at our web page for all inlcusives tours
www.hiddencambodia.com

Ride Free, Ride Safe into the Hidden Cambodia

mussen

Nov 14, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by hiddencambodia

Greetings from Hidden Cambodia Dirt Bike Tours Siem Reap.

They dont want any dirt bikes in the main temles area, dont think there is much enjoyment riding a dirt bike from temple to temple with it full of moterbikes, taxis, busses, bicycles and tuk tuks anyway and thousands of people.

For heading out of Siem Reap, 60 to 100kms, have a look at our web page for all inlcusives tours
www.hiddencambodia.com

Ride Free, Ride Safe into the Hidden Cambodia

Hi Hidden, does that include the area where all the buses and motorbike taxis stop? I would have thought is possible to ride into that section.