Mukdahan crossing?

Jan 22, 2005
Could someone please tell me what sort of issues I might be in for if I ride across and into Laos? Or alternatively if I were to drive my truck with bike in the back. I've been across many times, but not with a bike.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
For Mukdahan used to be the worst province to exit Thailand from.
The reason being you needed written permission from the governor himself to exit with a motorbike - or at least to ride across the bridge on one.
Does it apply if you put it in your pick-up, I don't know, but would think not, but then again this is Thailand.
I'd suggest you get the missus or a Thai speaking friend to ring customs at Mukdahan to enquire on your behalf.

Post covid I've heard they have had a change of governor at Muk, so maybe they've relaxed the policy?

See also

Jan 22, 2005
OK, we tried this. Loaded up truck with bikes. Got truck "passport", motorcycle green books, 2x2 color glossy photos, copies of everything and made our way to the border at Mukdahan. We made it through immigration, got our passports stamped, and proceeded to customs where we were told that bikes cannot enter Laos. On a truck or not. It's not Thailand, but a Laos customs issue. Never noticed it, but NOBODY rides a bike across the border. We were told that we would require written permission from the Laos authorities to proceed to the Laos side. And that will likely include purchasing insurance in Laos. So this is why we need a travel agent from Laos to arrange this for us. We tried Deaw at Nong Khai, but he couldn't help us through Mukdahan. So we went back and had our departure stamps "Cancelled" and reinstated to the original stay length. We'll try again, but this time with even more papers in hand. I've toured across Laos 5 times so far on rented bikes. Love to ride my own gear. And this would get us a long day south of Vientiane to explore Southern Laos.

Jan 22, 2005
That would be great! We had no problem leaving Thailand. I was told that the problem is with Laos not allowing bikes in without extensive paperwork. Specifically an invitation from someone on Laos side to clear customs. If I don't join that Thailand/Laos/Vietnam group next time, I'll look for a Laos travel agent who can help us get across.

Jan 22, 2005
We had similar intel from Mukdahan, but it wasn't correct. I just don't trust to rock up there expecting to cross without a solid stack of papers and an agent on Laos side. We lost too much time that I could have spent on a bike instead of in a queue. Rather pay a bit to move it along quickly. I suppose that it's easy to cross back into Thailand once you're in Laos. You could choose any re-entry point?

Jan 22, 2005
That makes sense. I'll try a few travel agents and let you know how our next attempt goes. Thanks for the information!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Contact this gal in Laos & she should be able to get you across @ Mukdahan.
Anna does a lot of bike tour permits for S Laos.

The only issue at Muk may whether you still need permission from the Mukdahan governor to exit, however I understand there has been a change of governors.

BTW if it was me I'd be inclined to try & bluff my way out of Thailand.
Just say you're going to Laos & want the paperwork to exit, you can sort it out on the other side, the Laos side.
They tried saying no cannot go @ Nakhon Phanom twice, but I convinced them to let me go & it couldn't be easier entering @ Tha Khek.
For Muk I have never tried because you needed the Muk governor to sign off on the papers.
But I've ridden across all the bridges, even from Savan to Mukdahan 3 times, when they say you cannot. Patience & the "gift of the gab" sweet talk, in Thai, holding your ground helps.

upload_2019-8-25_23-30-14-png.131994

There's an interesting story - 2013 - here for crossing at Mukdahan - Savannakhet

Last edited: