New Africa Twin Crf1000l

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Oh Sorry I Misspelt that. It was meant to Read MT 07 Tenere. They have Prototypes Testing already just a Matter of When they will be released for Sale! The MT 09 does not have a Tenere Version expected! The 07 will be a Ripper. Great Engine, Light Weight and Good Horse Power! If it comes before a Decent Coloured Africa Twin DCT OK.
The Tube Wheels is also a let down in My Opinion! But There is a Kit Available to Make Tube Rims Tubeless. I know some Guys using it and No Problems. I posted a Link on this Website ages back so maybe You can find it? I will look?

Jun 18, 2011
Pattaya
To be honest , the more i ride the vstrom the more convinced i am its the right bike for Thailand .i rode from Pattaya to Buriram today and loved every minute of it , my search is over lol .

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
To be honest , the more i ride the vstrom the more convinced i am its the right bike for Thailand .i rode from Pattaya to Buriram today and loved every minute of it , my search is over lol .

Ha Ha I told you, I think....
I loved my old AT & wouldn't mind another one....so
compared to the (old) AT the Vstrom 650 bike is only let down by smaller front wheel & lower ground clearance.
You could get a new AT for another 200,000 baht, but what extra riding would you do on the AT that you don't do on the Vstrom that equates to 200,00 baht more riding?

Jun 18, 2011
Pattaya
Ha Ha I told you, I think....
I loved my old AT & wouldn't mind another one....so
compared to the (old) AT the Vstrom 650 bike is only let down by smaller front wheel & lower ground clearance.
You could get a new AT for another 200,000 baht, but what extra riding would you do on the AT that you don't do on the Vstrom that equates to 200,00 baht more riding?
I test rode the AT in uk . Its a good bike . But you will never use the speed in Thailand its big and heavy . But for me tubed tyres are a big turnoff . When you think my last bike in uk was the 2016 BMW 1200GS LC . Top of the range , fantastic bike for Europe , rode down to France and spain rode from atlantic to mediterranean over the Pyrenees , superb bike. But its horses for courses and i think the Vstrom is a better bike than the AT and certainly better value .

Nov 2, 2008
In Canada we have a choose of the standard version in rally red colors or black, and the DCT model in silver. Decided I wanted the rally version, as the new African Twin sounds fantastic for northern Canadian exploring with a comfortable amount of gear aboard, but it sounds' like it's not going to happen this year. A Honda dealer in one of the closest larger cites has me 11th on a list of 30 plus buyers that are willing to put a deposit down on the new AF. They were promised 8 bikes, which have all been spoken for since last year, but with the recent factory damage in April they will only be receiving 3 bikes very soon. Delivery dates are not known, but excepted soon for these 3 bikes for this one dealer. Smaller dealers in surrounding towns are receiving one bike or none at all. Hope you have better luck getting these bikes in Thailand.

News of the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake that sadly took dozens of lives;
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...pausing-motorcycle-production-in-wake-of.html
Toyota, Honda suspend plants rattled by Kumamoto quake | The Japan Times

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2006
To be Honest I have not seen any on the Road here in Thailand yet and don't know anyone who has got one! Only seen One at the Motorshow in BKK Ha Ha! If they are not Careful they are going to Miss the Boat if they don't start supplying Customers and Supplying in a Colour those Customers Want!!! There are so Many Great New Bikes coming all the Time any would be Customers will just Buy another Model!!!

In Canada we have a choose of the standard version in rally red colors or black, and the DCT model in silver. Decided I wanted the rally version, as the new African Twin sounds fantastic for northern Canadian exploring with a comfortable amount of gear aboard, but it sounds' like it's not going to happen this year. A Honda dealer in one of the closest larger cites has me 11th on a list of 30 plus that are willing to put a deposit down on the new AF. They were promised 8 bikes, which have all been spoken for since last year, but with the recent factory damage in April they will only be receiving 3 bikes very soon. Delivery dates are not known, but excepted soon for these 3 bikes for this one dealer. Smaller dealers in surrounding towns are receiving one bike or none at all. Hope you have better luck getting these bikes in Thailand.

News of the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake that sadly took dozens of lives;
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...pausing-motorcycle-production-in-wake-of.html
Toyota, Honda suspend plants rattled by Kumamoto quake | The Japan Times

Nov 22, 2005
It seems like the thai Africa Twins are not produced yet
and it should be possible to order other colors.
SO IF ANYBODY FROM HONDA THAILAND IS READING THIS .....

i would like to have a white one with DCT ! And I would order
it immediately !

Probably we could get a bigger order with other colors from
Forum members.

Jun 18, 2011
Pattaya
It seems like the thai Africa Twins are not produced yet
and it should be possible to order other colors.
SO IF ANYBODY FROM HONDA THAILAND IS READING THIS .....

i would like to have a white one with DCT ! And I would order
it immediately !

Probably we could get a bigger order with other colors from
Forum members.

Jun 18, 2011
Pattaya
Hi , the Africa twin is in uk . I have test ridden it . I believe someone on the forum saw it at the Bangkok bike show .

Sep 19, 2006
I asked at the Motorshow in Bangkok and they will not change Colours or order Special Colours!!! I said if You can Order a Tri-Colour DCT I will give You the Money Now and they refused!!! T.I.T, This Is Thailand? I can't Figure that one out?

Jun 18, 2011
Pattaya
I asked at the Motorshow in Bangkok and they will not change Colours or order Special Colours!!! I said if You can Order a Tri-Colour DCT I will give You the Money Now and they refused!!! T.I.T, This Is Thailand? I can't Figure that one out?
As you say " this is Thailand " lol. I am sure it will arrive soon enough .

Aug 20, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a delay on the Africa Twin now due to the recent quake? Heard a container ship went down with bikes for E.U!

Jun 18, 2011
Pattaya
Hola , no idea re container ship . I had test ride at 21st moto . Swanley England . Manual. Red white and blue.
Very good bike . But tubed wheels let it down for me .

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
There's plenty of them in Austraila. They do look the goods, classic Honda, beautiful finish, but too big for the riding I do.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a delay on the Africa Twin now due to the recent quake? Heard a container ship went down with bikes for E.U!

Indeed delivery does seem to be delayed

What the Honda Kumamoto Closure Means for You
After devastating tremors in the region, Honda’s Kumamoto factory, as well as the facilities of their nearby suppliers, were closed for equipment and structural repairs.
The Kumamoto factory is Honda’s flagship installation, and it produces many of Honda’s top motorcycles
While most of Honda’s 2016 units have already been produced, for American riders the closure will affect most the 2016 Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L production and delivery to dealers.
Honda’s initial shipment for these bikes is already in transit from Japan, however the timing of the earthquake comes mid-stream of the Africa Twin’s production run for North America.

Honda motorcycles delayed by earthquake - Motorbike Writer
Delays in Africa Twin and Goldwing deliveries are expected after the Honda factory in Kumamoto was damaged in the recent earthquake and won’t begin re-opening until Friday, May 6, 2016.
In a letter to all Australian Honda dealers, Honda Australia motorcycle GM Peter Singleton says “it may be weeks before the full effects of the earthquake are known”.
While there were no fatalities of Honda workers, the factory has sustained damage, affecting production as the majority of production being prepared for shipping was damaged.
“Africa Twin will be most affected,” Peter says.
“It will be at least three weeks before we can grasp the effect due to the large production quantities. We can identify at least 40 units destined for Australia which were due to be shipped this week.
Delivery of the 2016 Goldwing was also affected, although there are some units already on the water.
The flagship motorcycle factory also makes the Fireblade, VFR1200F and NC750X as well as parts for many overseas models.
“It will take time to understand the knock-on effect for other production countries, particularly Thailand”.
“We don’t know the situation for parts vendors located near the factory. A damaged vendor may present the biggest risk for resuming production.
“The current events are heart-breaking for the Japanese people and our thoughts are with them.
“Earthquakes and Tsunami are a part of Japanese life and the country and companies respond quickly to rebuild. I thank you for your patience and understanding at this time.”
Honda has announced the factory will resume production in stages and is expected to achieve full operation in mid-August.

OFFICIAL UPDATE | 2016 Honda Africa Twin USA Release / Shipment Delay
All remaining 2016 Africa Twin orders have been rescheduled for delivery in late November. As production from the Kumamoto plant has resumed, this timeline may improve. As before, confirmed quantity has not changed, only the delivery dates. The unfortunate delay is simply due to the devastating earthquake that had a significant impact on this model’s production timing. Honda is keeping dealers informed on all delivery information and updates as more information is available.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
An Africa Twin review from from AMCN in Australia

28 June 2016

Honda’s reborn Africa Twin has a lot to live up to and much more competition than the now legendary original ever had to fend off.

The all-new CRF1000L Africa Twin was one of the most eagerly anticipated new models of 2016. This is partly due to the legendary status of the original Africa Twin, and partly down to the current popularity of adventure bikes. Considering how big this market has become, it seems remarkable Honda has been so slow to enter the fray. According to some sources, the CRF1000L project started back in 2009. If accurate, this amounts to a lengthy development period by industry standards – five years from concept to production is more usual. It seems that, despite the gaping hole in its model line- up, Honda was in no hurry to rush the Africa Twin to market. Fully formed prototypes, production ready in appearance, have been in the public eye for a couple of years. I guess when Honda’s head honchos decided to resurrect a legend, they knew they couldn’t leave anything to chance.

So, the question is, did they get it right?

From the very first inference of a new Africa Twin being in development my expectations have been high, and they were only elevated further when early images broke the internet.

These inflated expectations came from a combination of the Africa Twin name, and the photographic illusion of it looking like a compact and light, trail-shredding off-road focused adventure weapon. In my wildest dreams I imagined a CRF450R with the heart of a CBR1000RR. If the bike had lived up to my, in hindsight, outrageous expectations and still been as cheap as it is, it would have been the bike of the century, maybe even the GOAT. The fact it’s as good as it is, and undercuts the competitors’ retail price by so damn much, well, that just might make it the bargain of the century.

Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT)

Honda has released two versions of the Africa Twin, one with dual-clutch transmission and one without (see New Tech on p22). We were pooh-poohed on social media for testing the DCT model, and for me this was confirmation the right choice had been made. I wanted to try what most riders would instinctively avoid. And I was particularly keen to see how it performed off-road.

Somewhat prophetically, a guy interested in the Africa Twin approached me near the start of my ride. His elderly brother in the UK has the DCT equipped VFR1200, and loves it. His hands, which have probably shovelled coal and hammered nails for not far short of a century, are riddled with old- people ailments, and too knackered for pulling clutches in and out all day.

This got me thinking: ‘Who exactly is DCT for?’ The answer is, DCT is for many different folks: left leg amputees, limp left wristers, plain lazy bastards, technophiles, gearophobes, your momma, and maybe even at some point in time, for me. That’s who. And many more besides. The point is, it’s not a revolution, it’s not an abomination, and it’s not necessarily the future, it’s just a motorcycle with more choices for you and me to accept or reject.

So does it work? Too bloody right it does. Brilliantly in fact. Would I buy one over the manual model? Nope, I’d spend the extra cash fitting out the bargain base model with all the fruit it needs to tackle seriously rough terrain and go longer distances between drinks. If my left ankle was fused together due to one of my many stupid crashes, that choice may be different.

There are two important things to know about the DCT bike. Firstly, this version can also be ridden just like a manual bike with an automatic clutch, similar to the Rekluse clutches which are now a popular mod with enduro riders. So it’s not a case of choosing between an automatic or manual model, because with DCT you get a version of both.

The second thing to know is that you won’t miss having a manual clutch until you are at walking speed. If you intend to do a lot of slow technical off- road riding, this is absolutely where you’ll miss it the most. In fact the DCT bike is less adept at any type of slow-speed manoeuvring, whether off- or on-road.

Selecting the G mode adjusts the operation of the DCT to suit steep technical terrain – detecting the incline and either controlling your rate of descent via engine braking or keeping the engine powering uphill. It also reduces the amount of clutch slip between gear changes. This snappier gear selection gives the bike faster acceleration, and for me feels smoother and far more natural.

Even in the lower 850mm seating position, I only make ground contact with the tips of my toes on both sides (inside leg 76cm, thanks for asking). And as with all big adventure bikes, this makes the low-speed manoeuvring style known as ‘paddling’ feel just as awkward and comical as it looks – even more so without the aid of a manual clutch to micro-manage power to the rear wheel. To compensate, at slow speed I preferred to use the Toni Bou technique (I bloody wish!): stood up on the pegs ‘trials style’, carefully balancing the throttle and rear brake. With both feet down for security, balancing the throttle and front brake is the only option, but not quite so elegant.

Because DCT returns to neutral when the engine is killed, the Africa Twin has a park brake, operated by a lever where the clutch lever would normally be. To prevent the rider from absent-mindedly grabbing a handful of rear brake, the lever blade is so far away from the bar that only a fully grown mountain gorilla could possibly reach it with the tip of his middle finger. What I found curious about this arrangement is that a cable-operated caliper is used, positioned under the swingarm opposite to the bike’s regular foot-operated hydraulic brake caliper. I can only assume this is a cheaper option than a system which uses the bike’s primary braking system, in the way some hill-hold park brakes work. However, it also constitutes extra unwanted unsprung weight. I’d have liked the option to use the hand rear brake in certain technical off-road situations, like some riders are fitting to enduro bikes, but I doubt the caliper would cope well since it wasn’t intended for that kind of sustained abuse.

MANUAL

Comparing the manual and DCT bikes back to back confirmed my initial thoughts. Having a clutch lever in your left hand gives you the ability to feed power to the ground 0.1kW at a time, and chop it in an instant. DCT will have to come a long way to match this level of slow- speed control. But the 14kg difference in weight between the DCT Africa Twin and the manual gearbox, non-ABS model is the real deal breaker for me. The extra heft inhibits the DCT bike’s off-road handling, and makes it a daunting prospect to pick up off the ground when the inevitable happens. The manual Africa Twin, on the other hand, is just on the right side of how light and manageable a production 1000cc dirt bike can be, with plenty of potential to be even more trim and focused with a touch of tinkering. I can’t wait to see what some owners will do with True Adventure in their mind and the standard Africa Twin as the starting point.

CHASSIS

For tarmac touring and taking most gravel detours, the Africa Twin’s Showa suspension soaks up the bumps with luxuriant plushness. However, as capable and enjoyable as it is to ride on the tarmac, it’s certainly no sports bike on the black top. Fork dive under heavy- braking is considerable – a normal characteristic of conventional long travel suspension. The Africa Twin’s more expensive competitors now use semi-active electronic suspension systems to eliminate excessive weight transfer, but this adds both cost and weight.

For rough off-road and fully loaded use, I felt the Africa Twin’s suspension would benefit from some extra spring support, even for my rakish 68kg. Admittedly, I probably worked the bike’s suspension harder than it will be in regular duty. But there are also plenty of owners who will want to go big, or who are big themselves. They are sure to find the limits as I did.

Bottoming out the suspension proved easy on the more extreme off-road tracks, and damping performance faded slightly once the units were hot.

I guess 90 per cent of Africa Twin owners will wonder what the hell I’m on about; the other 10 per cent will still love their new Honda, but perhaps even more so after a suspension tune up to suit their weight and aggression, and intended terrain.

Although the front brake lever feels spongy, the Africa Twin has ample stopping power, with a level of control and feel that excels in loose off- road conditions. The front ABS works brilliantly off-road – a relief since it’s a non-switchable single- level system. Switching the ABS to off-road mode deactivates the rear ABS only. This combination gives plenty of feel and progression at the rear brake lever for greater off-road control. Top marks here. Ground clearance is a respectable 250mm, but the aluminium sump guard is still essential for off-road antics. Even if you don’t smack it down on terra firma, there’s always the chance of a flying rock puncturing the crankcases. I expect many adventurers will feel the need to fit something fuller, to further protect the low slung exhaust headers and wrap up around the engine side covers.

Standing up for off-road sections I found the pegs-to-bar distance quite close compared to other big adventure bikes, and more akin to an enduro bike’s cockpit dimensions. This will suit regular trail riders, and will simply require some adapting for those coming from another maxi-adventure-tourer.

The grippy serrated off-road style pegs have removable rubbers, but the metal platform is very small in terms of modern off-road standards.

While a generously wide range of steering lock is often a good thing for manoeuvrability, in the case of the heavily weighted front end of the DCT model Africa Twin, there is too much steering angle. As you turn the handlebar to make a tight turn there comes a point in the steering axis where the front end pulls forcefully toward full steering lock. I found the best way to counter this was to anticipate this point and physically resist the bars from flopping to the side. Once at full lock the bike tends to shovel the front tyre rather than turn anyway, so I’d be tempted to modify the steering stops and reduce the lock slightly. This would also help when performing spin turns on dirt to get out of tight spots.

A quick check of the DCT-equipped bike with a digital angle gauge confirmed the source of this steering sensation, a comparatively shallow head angle of 28o, which will increase further with rider and luggage. A shallow rake and/or a large fork offset requires you to lift the bike’s weight further as the bars are swept from full lock to straight ahead. Conversely, it also causes the bike’s weight to pull the steering towards full lock when the bars are turned. The shallower the rake, greater the fork off- set, and heavier the bike, the greater the ‘flop’ effect. While I’m moaning about the finer details, the accessory centre stand is too high with a pivot too rearward. Other packaging considerations possibly forced the designers’ hand here, but the result is a stand which is a pig to swing the bike up onto, particularly when fully loaded.

It’s the small details which can make a bike your best friend, or just your current ride. They matter.

ENGINE

Although the Africa Twin gives up 200cc to its main class rivals, there wasn’t a situation where I found the Honda’s 270o 1000cc parallel twin under-gunned. Relatively soft low-rpm torque is followed by a distinct kilowatt kick at 6000rpm, and it’s at this engine speed where the Honda really lights up and sparkles. I don’t expect owners to be left particularly wanting or disappointed – power is only a small part of the satisfaction and capability equation – even if comparatively speaking there are far bigger hitters in this weight category. Bang-for-buck, the standard Africa Twin has them all beaten.

Honda’s ‘torque control’ system is a traction control system by any other name, and works in the same way. TC level three should be kept strictly for riding wet tarmac on knobblies, because using it off- road is just a good way to get nowhere, as you spend more time waiting for the motor to stop spluttering than you do going forward. Levels two and one are more useful as they reinstate power far sooner. Where TC was most effective was controlling the DCT bike’s initial, ‘un-clutchable’, throttle response in super-slippery off-road conditions like wet clay.

Resetting the TC, ABS and DCT modes every time you stop and turn off the ignition quickly becomes a chore, even though the process isn’t a terribly difficult or time consuming one. Why can’t they just assume we’re not idiots who forget where we left it?

As with any large capacity adventure bike, the Africa Twin is a physically imposing heavyweight when ridden in the dirt, and its off-road capability is determined predominantly by the confidence, skills and strength of the rider. Anyone lacking in these areas who dreams of tackling seriously spirit- sapping terrain on a Honda, frankly, should buy a CRF250 or 450X. But of course that goes for all of the Africa Twin’s hefty competitors, too.

If it seems I’ve been a little critical of the Africa Twin, well tough, that’s my job. The fact is I loved the bike, and despite its few shortcomings, I couldn’t justify spending my own money on any other litre- plus adventure bike while Honda can offer the base model Africa Twin for such a great price. Sure, I’d end up spending more to get it set up to my taste and adventurous ambitions, but I reckon I’d still be up on the deal. If I had money to burn, my choices might be different. But then again, probably not.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
I read in another review that by stopping the bike with the side stand, the settings you have changed remains when you start the bike again. Neat feature..

Nov 2, 2008
Just returned from the city of Edmonton Alberta, where they received only 4 of the 8 bikes intended for their dealership. Five of us with deposits down were given letters offering up better than cost, supposedly, prices on Africa Twin branded Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants. That I can get before the the riding season is over, though it is looking like many, myself included, will have to wait until next year before getting a new bike.

The Silver DCT model, available in Canada, was in the Honda showroom. Not my favorite color scheme but pretty sweet to see the bike in person for the first time. Quick impression from a test sit, feels shorter, lower, and narrower than both the 1190R and the R1200GS. More like the Tiger 800KC I had a chance to ride last month, where both feet can be flat footed at rest. And even the DCT model doesn't cost more than the new SUV I bought a couple of years ago, which can't be said for the KTM and BMW.

africa_klim02.jpg

Attachments

• africa_klim02.jpg
    africa_klim02.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 180

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The new AT is to be for sale / delivered on August 23 nationwide.

Honda Big Wing Chiang Mai has one on show now
DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

The manual version sells for 550,000 baht
The DCT version sells for 580,000 baht.
11 models have been sold at Honda Big Wing Chiang Mai & will be delivered on 23 August.
One assumes a test ride is available from the 23rd as well, because the model on show now is a customers, so no touchy touchy. NO sitting. Look only.

Reactions: scotty007