Northern Vietnam on A Minsk - February 2006

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Flew into Hanoi and rented a Minsk for USD8 for a week.
The Minsk has a reputation for tackling the mountains of Northwest Vietnam:
minsk.jpg

Evidently it also has a reputation of being slightly unreliable - I got a rectifier, alternator, spare plug and toolkit along with the bike:
minsk2.jpg

The route, totalling about 1000km:
Hanoi - Mai Chau - Son La - Lai Chau - Sapa - Yen Bai - Hanoi

Outside of Hanoi it was bitterly cold and wet, the bike on some mountain, enveloped in mist:
maichau1.jpg

Finally found the village of Mai Chau, and spent the night in a Thai stilt house:
maichau2.jpg

The view from the room:
maichau3.jpg

Padi Fields:
maichau4.jpg

Other pics from Mai Chau:
maichau5.jpg

maichau6.jpg

maichau7.jpg

maichau8.jpg

The wheather improved the next day on the road to Son La:
sonla1.jpg

sonla2.jpg

sonla3.jpg

sonla4.jpg

Some pics of Son La:
sonla5.jpg

sonla6.jpg

The next day on the road to Dien Bien Phu, the wheater was bitterly cold even though the sun was out:
db1.jpg

db2.jpg

db3.jpg

More mountains, more roadworks. Went through 10km of roadworks, loose sand - I can imagine how bad it'll be in wet wheather:
db4.jpg

db6.jpg

Road works - a traffic jam in the mountains as the diggers moved some bits of moutains from one side to another:
db5.jpg

Decided to forgo Dien Bien Phu and decided to take the road from Tuan Giao to Lai Chau. Gorgeous sceneries of vista and mountains as the road dipped and rose through the mountains. The first 20 or so kilometres was fine, but the road started falling apart such that the last 60 kilometres or so it was dirt and gravel and huge portholes. It took 4 hourse to cover 90 kilometres:

laichau1.jpg

laichau2.jpg

laichau3.jpg

laichau4.jpg

laichau5.jpg

laichau6.jpg

laichau7.jpg

Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel, the small town of Lai Chau nestled in the valley:
laichau8.jpg

More pics from Lai Chau:
laichau9.jpg

laichau10.jpg

laichau11.jpg

The next day, struck out across to the top of Vietnam, through Tan Duong into Sapa and the highest mountain pass in Vietnam, the Tram Tron Pass before the hill station of Sapa:

2pass1.jpg

2pass2.jpg

2pass3.jpg

2pass4.jpg

2pass5.jpg

2pass6.jpg

Windy as hell, the scenery was awesonme, conical mountains that sprout around you as you tilt the bike round the bends, and there were a LOT of bends:

2pass7.jpg

2pass8.jpg

2pass9.jpg

2pass10.jpg

2pass11.jpg

The Tram Tron Pass:

2pass12.jpg

2pass13.jpg

2pass14.jpg

Sapa:

sapa1.jpg

sapa2.jpg

sapa3.jpg

Cat Cat Village - a tribal village just 3km off Sapa. Walking up and down the ridges is a lot of work:

catcat1.jpg

catcat2.jpg

catcat3.jpg

catcat4.jpg

catcat5.jpg

catcat6.jpg

The ride from Sapa to Hanoi through Yen Bai was pretty uneventful. It was cold and wet mostly. Good thing I had my rain gear with me. By the time I got back to Hanoi I was pretty much splattered my mud all over.

Here's a gas station youll find in all the small villages in Vietnam (and Thailand) as well:

gastation.jpg

Hanoi pictures -

hanoi1.jpg

hanoi2.jpg

hanoi3.jpg

hanoi4.jpg

Thit cho - New definition of dog meat:
hanoi5.jpg

Water Puppets
waterpuppet1.jpg

waterpuppet2.jpg

Hanoi Hilton
hhilton1.jpg

hhilton2.jpg

hhilton3.jpg

hhilton4.jpg

hhilton5.jpg

hhilton6.jpg

hhilton7.jpg

< ---- Thats about it. I will try to fit in some more pictures when I find the time for it! ---- >

Nov 14, 2004
Hey fb,beast! Pics were a gas,that loop looked awsome,where did you have your best Pho? was a week enough to see the hilites of the loop?
regards Scott

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
Enjoyed your pics FB. Hanoi looks dead interesting!

Another great example of what can be achieved on modest machinery.

Cheers,

Tomo.

Oct 3, 2007
north loop needs at least 12 days. wonderfull moto trip. I had a guide from voyagevietnam.net, excellent!