Northwest Thailand Lockdowns?

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
My wife and I are starting to plan a trip up to Chiang Mai. She either driving or flying from Loei to visit her cousin in CM, me to travel via motorbike. She is telling me that even after Songkran, much of Thailand will still be on lockdown and checkpoints might interfere with travel plans. I have seen checkpoints set up for Songkran in my "area of operations", but wondering how it is up Chiang Mai way. I would like to be in CM area when my wife is there so that I can take advantage of a free place to stay while I go out and do my daily loops in that area, and then go off and do my own route back to Loei, possibly including a few days in Nan area. So please, give me your thoughts on the current situation with pandemic lockdowns/roadblocks/check points/etc. Is this a good or bad time to travel?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
It is certainly not the best time to travel.
If cases in Chiang Mai & the north continue to rise it could well mean that you need to quarantine on your return home?
Rules are changing almost daily, such that it could get quite complicated, possibly spoil your trip, and you have not even left home yet.
So I would not recommend travelling in the North until after the 19th or 23rd, when the next announcements are due.
You may not be terribly welcome in some communities, so just postpone it for the time being.

Reactions: Desmocrat

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Thanks guys for the input. We are watching closely. I'd like to get in a trip up that way before the rainy season starts in earnest, but if not, no big deal, I've ridden in torrential rain before.

Reactions: Alamo

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks guys for the input. We are watching closely. I'd like to get in a trip up that way before the rainy season starts in earnest, but if not, no big deal, I've ridden in torrential rain before.

There's no big rain until July or August.
September is usually the wettest month.

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
July or August is a great time to travel in the north, sure you will probably get wet, I could count on one hand how many days it rains all day.......................the air is alot clearer and some fine days are thrown in the mix.

Ive been told to call it the green season not the wet season for obvious reasons.

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
July or August is a great time to travel in the north, sure you will probably get wet, I could count on one hand how many days it rains all day.......................the air is alot clearer and some fine days are thrown in the mix.

Ive been told to call it the green season not the wet season for obvious reasons.
I like that way of thinking. I will endeavor to call it that in the future. Although I see nothing wrong with a rainy/wet season either.

Bruce

Jan 18, 2021
A lot of Provinces have gone into lockdown and Chiang Mai has had an outbreak just recently.
I'd advise against travel at this point in time as a lot of Provinces may not welcome anybody from outside their area.
Safe bet to stay put.

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Mosquito season.
I'd take covid over malaria or dengue,
which are much more prevalent.

Bruce

Jan 18, 2021
Mosquito season.
I'd take covid over malaria or dengue,
which are much more prevalent.
I've had Dengue and I'd certainly don't want that again but Covid can kill me at my age and bronchial history...bring on the Vacine.

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
Yes, throwing in the towel for now and staying put in Loei province, just doing local day trips. Still finding my way around, so never boring. Man, I'll be glad when this pandemic shite is over.

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
What are you guys hearing as far as vaccine availability for farangs. I've heard mid June. But never know what to believe anymore.

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
I've had Dengue and I'd certainly don't want that again but Covid can kill me at my age and bronchial history...bring on the Vacine.
Truly hope these vaccines are effective.
Nobody knows.
Many differences of expert opinion there.
Saw that Europe has stopped vaccinating in some countries,
secondary to adverse reactions,
including paralysis and death.
&
Apparently, mRNA vaccine testing
killed all the mink in previously run studies.
Maybe fake news; dunno.
Hoping things cool off by July.
Be heading north on the ceeber
for some squiggly rides then,
Buddha willing.