Question On Trip From KL, Malaysia To Hong Kong!

Nov 4, 2008
I probably in the wrong forum, because I will do this trip with a car not a bike, i am sorry for this, but this forum is my only hope.... due to the information about crossing border. I believe you guys are incredible... and experience enough to give some advise to me.

Let start.

My plan trip is Malaysia - Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - China - Hong Kong
KL - Sadao - Savannakhet - Nakhon Phanom - Ban Nape - Kim Cuooong -Phu Thach - Vinh - Mong Cai - Guangzhou - Kowloon

If you go to the maps.live.com and type in Rawang, Malaysia to Kowloon, HK. It will return this route.

Here the question start.
My car is registered in Malaysia and is that possible I can do this trip?
1. Anything I will need to apply before my trip?
2. There is some alternative route
- Malaysia - Thailand - Laos - China - Hong Kong
- Malaysia - Thailand - Myammar - China - Hong Kong
which route is the perferable?

I will need every piece of information as possible.

And last, thanks in advance.

burnjr

Dec 28, 2005
bro,
no way u can drive in mymar,
1 how many car u wanana to bring i means a group or just ur car..
for info in china u need a guide and translater..and your car will be inspect,when u entre china at yuyi..
for more detail pls meet china embesy..
hv nice days :D :D

Almost nobody has managed to enter Vietnam on a foreign registered vehicle recently. I assume Lao and Cambodian vehicles can enter, but if you are not a citizen or at least resident there, then I don't know.

For China (unless you are a Chinese national), you need to organise your trip with a recognised tour company. Fixed itinerary and guide for the whole time in mainland China are compulsory. Lead times for organising this vary from 2 to 4 months. Expect to pay about 150 $US per day.

We used Transhimalaya.com. Very professional and fast, but not the cheapest.

Nov 4, 2008
I understand that is almost impossible to crossing border from laos to vietnam......

So the trip change to Malaysia - Thailand - Laos - China - HK!
The total milleage is 3030miles............... which 700 extra compare with the vietnam route......

The Transhimalaya.com is not working.....

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
cyruspee wrote: I understand that is almost impossible to crossing border from laos to vietnam......

So the trip change to Malaysia - Thailand - Laos - China - HK!
The total milleage is 3030miles............... which 700 extra compare with the vietnam route......

The Transhimalaya.com is not working.....
Despite signing govt to govt cross border transport agreements, the Viets won't let in vehicles other than left hand drive. So no rocking up at the border & expecting to drive / ride in.

Drive Indochina are the S E Asia experts
http://www.driveindochina.com/
to consult, if you want to buy a package.

Nov 4, 2008
One question here!

I heard the Highway 3 in Laos is fill with bitumen from Thailand to China, isn't it true?

If is it true, then is a good news for.

I have managed to get the China Government Website to get the information about the china temporary vehicle entry permit.

The only problem now is with Hong Kong. I heard no car can enter to HK...anyone know about it?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
cyruspee wrote: One question here!

I heard the Highway 3 in Laos is fill with bitumen from Thailand to China, isn't it true?

If is it true, then is a good news for.
If you try looking at some of the trip reports for Laos

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t4496.html

you might see...

Make a right at Na Toey & you think oops, this can't be the right road.

391195197_8SCNZ-M.jpg

but it is & that's how the road is all the way from Na Toey to Oudom Xai - bumpy dirt / asphalt, alternating every few hundred metres. No consistency & totally unenjoyable. It would be better if it was all dirt or all bad broken asphalt, at least you would know how fast or slow to ride, but now it's a terrible mix of bad bumpy & then 200-300 metres of good then bad bumpy again.
and

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t4525.html

to see this...

Hwy 13 for the first lets say 140km to near Song Cha is rough and run down with short exposed sections of dirt, you can expect to average around 45-50km per hour here, passing through the villagers seeing the peoples simple way of living and waving to the kids smiling faces will keep you entertained through this section, sometimes the smiling faces can turn to fear if you stop to take a photo they may disperse and sprint for their life
Marcus tackling a little mud on his Honda XR 250
PA080115.jpg