Recommended bike repair shop in Phnom Penh

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
The Mikuni carburetor on my 1998 Suzuki 250XC Djebel...was dying.
The internal slide, which governs engine idle speeds, was worn out and couldn't be replaced.
The bike had become unsafe to ride in stop & go traffic as it would either stall or the idle
would race at up to 2500-RPM at stops.. Yet, the bike ran fine at highway speeds.
Also, the engine was also showing it's age, burning oil and was due for an overhaul.

The Pattaya shop I regularly use, Nippon Bikes, and a few others were unable to obtain a replacement carb.
I also made my first visit to Pattaya's Road Machine, which is popular with owners of big bikes.
I'll never go there again and will post separately of my costly experience there.

So, I phoned the shop in Phnom Penh which has helped me in years' past.
Vay's Motorcycle Shop (pronounced 'ways') has repaired and rebuilt dirt-bikes for nearly
two decades. They also work on some big road bikes.

Vay said he could locate a replacement carb as well overhaul the engine with original
Japanese parts. I drove the Djebel to PPenh.

Vay installed a new Japanese piston, rings and valve seals, a set of rear brake pads, and
a brand new _Honda_ carburetor. The crank bearings were still good. The swing arm was cleaned
and given new seals; the bearing were still good. The valves and value seats were still in
great shape and needed no work. Vay informed me that he found the valves setting were
way out of tolerance. That was thanks to Road Machine, in Pattaya, who had adjusted them
just
a few weeks prior to my going to PPenh.
Now that my Suzuki has a Honda carb, so is it now a 'Sukonda' motorcycle??
The new Honda carb accounted for nearly 40% of the rebuild cost (4,500-Bt).
Total cost, including labor and oil, was 10,470-Baht.

The motor had been reborn, it now rev'ed much quicker, is much stronger at the top end,
and now doesn't burn any oil!!

Recommended:..reliable and honest:
Vay's Motorcycle Shop is located on the north side of Confederation de la Russia (str 110) at str 51.
His English is pretty good. E-mail: [email protected] Mobile (Cambo): 012-869-661

Apr 10, 2012
Great, thanks for the tip. Was just ripped off by another moto mechanic in PP and am looking for a new one. Will check him out. Wil

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Another decent shop in PPenh is Flying Bikes.
Though I've not used their services, a number of farang friends who reside in Cambo have recommended that shop.
The shop is located on the _south_ side of Confederation de la Russia (str 110), on the other side of the center median strip and a few blocks west of Vay's location.
They seem to work more on bigger bikes.

Aug 23, 2012
Lucky Lucky One Motorcycle shop just off 51 near the Central Markets is also pretty good. They are pretty fast also.