Ride from BKK to Khon Kaen via Petchabun and Lom Sak

Dec 27, 2007
BKKPetchabunKKMapSSR.jpg

The STUNNING Highway 12 from Lom Sak through Nam Nao National Park- honestly one of the most beautiful roads I've ever ridden in Thailand!
Highway12Petchabun.jpg

Hmmm... Not too sure about the weather though...
weatherxo.jpg

Saturday morning the weather looks good! Let's Go!
092609CaltexSm.jpg

Kawasaki ER6n and Ninja 650R and Yamaha R1 and FZ6!

Waiting for Jim...
092609Er6n2Sm.jpg

Finally ready to go!
092609KwackersSm.jpg

My ER6n packed with new Pirelli enduro tires!
092609Er6n1Sm.jpg

Peter molesting my bike yet again at a lunch stop in Lom Sak...
092609Bikes1Sm.jpg

John from Khon Kaen met us near Lom Sak on his new Yamaha FZ1 and we rode to Khon Kaen together on Highway 12.

Photo stop in Nam Nao National Park- what a beautiful road!
092609NamNaoBikes1Sm.jpg

092609NamNaoBikesSm.jpg

Mr Yeesip feeling a little tired and hung over...
092609TrentSm.jpg

Good times!

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks Tony for putting up the report. Good to ride with you guys again.
Well Marco, not quite the right conclusion on the weather. Coming from Lomsak the roads were generally good, but alternating wet and dry. Approaching Chumpae the heavens opened and the roads awash.
Dried out a bit before black skies again dumped on us before reaching Khon Kaen.
Out in the evening a thunderstorm threatened to dampen activities and caused a prolonged meal at the excellent Waterside restaurant. However the SSR boys were not to be put off and set of into the rain to find some suitable places to continue the night.

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Guys! Hoping to see John and Ray next month!

Who says a little rain will dampen the fun?!
092709ChaiyaphumFloodSm.jpg

Ride On! :mrgreen:

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
I went to see John G in KK on Friday, missed you guys by 1 day, might manage to meet up next time?

Dec 27, 2007
Tubber wrote: I went to see John G in KK on Friday, missed you guys by 1 day, might manage to meet up next time?
Sorry we missed you! (Have we met?) Hope to visit John in Khon Kaen again next month. See you then!
Tony

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Tony,

How did your new Pirelli's perform? Were you happy with it in the rain and on the road?

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
No we haven't met, I swapped the FZ-1 with Johns FJR. I should have stayed another night in KK, it rained heavily all the way home. Going back to work next week for a couple of months so will miss you again, And that Nam Nao road is a good run.

Dec 27, 2007
Auke wrote: Tony,

How did your new Pirelli's perform? Were you happy with it in the rain and on the road?
Cheers Auke,

Loved the Pirelli MT60's! What great versatile tires! Here's what John Gooding had to say:

"Tony stayed on another day, because he was able to do the deal and hand over the bike to its new owner. He was a really lucky 'cock' because Jim decided he needed to fly back quick to BKK and so Tony got to ride Jims bike back this afternoon. And he described the tyres as great on the road, and the way he was flying around the bends even on wet roads, they must have been fine. Cheers John"

And in my words-

"Man- those Pirelli MT60's are actually quite good on pavement. I was a bit nervous at first not knowing how far I could push them, but by the time we reached the highway 12 twisties I had a pretty good feel for them and John and I blasted through the bends at a good pace.

I didn't push the bike over as far as I did when running the Dragon Supercorsa Pros, but I was still able to leave softcock Pete and his groupies in the dust.

John and I had to pull over a few times to let the slowpokes catch up :mrgreen: "

So- for anyone looking for a good dual sport / enduro tire I would highly recommend giving the Pirelli MT60's a try!

Ride On!

Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Tubber wrote: No we haven't met, I swapped the FZ-1 with Johns FJR. I should have stayed another night in KK, it rained heavily all the way home. Going back to work next week for a couple of months so will miss you again, And that Nam Nao road is a good run.
Ah! Gotcha! Well, John certainly seems very happy with the FZ1 and I trust you're enjoying his FJR1300.
Hope we can all hook up for a ride one of these days.
Ride On!
Tony

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
FZ-1 is a good bike but I just couldn't get comfortable on longer trips. FJR is obviously a big improvement in that respect. The 650 Ninja is really a very nice bike but I don't think I can justify 4 bikes in the garage. Hopefully we can meet December/January time for a ride. Have you been on the roads around Dan Sai, Phu Ruea?
Regards
Jim

Dec 27, 2007
Hi Jim,

Yeah- the FJR is a real mile muncher- do you do a lot of long distance riding? We're planning a metric iron butt which we hope to do after the rains stop-
SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

If you're around when we do this perhaps you can join us along the way.

I've ridden some of the stunning roads between Loei, Dan Sai, Nakhon Thai and Lom Sak and can't wait to return to that area and explore some more as I'm sure there are plenty of good twisties that I've not yet ridden in that area.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
TonyBKK wrote: Hi Jim,

Yeah- the FJR is a real mile muncher- do you do a lot of long distance riding? We're planning a metric iron butt which we hope to do after the rains stop-
SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

I've ridden some of the stunning roads between Loei, Dan Sai, Nakhon Thai and Lom Sak and can't wait to return to that area and explore some more as I'm sure there are plenty of good twisties that I've not yet ridden in that area.

Happy Trails!

Tony
Darn Tony :lol:

1018Km ride, that is 2km longer than i did,,, so i have to ge back in the saddle again,,soon...LOL

Tubber

Oct 20, 2006
TonyBKK wrote: Hi Jim,

SSRIronButtFlyer.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony
Hi Tony
Problem with being so far east in Sakon Nakhon is everything is an Iron Butt ride, so yes I do some long distance riding. Probably more so with the FJR. I used to go up to Chiang Mai via Udon Thani, Khon Kaen then follow the 12, 11 and 1 up to Chiang Mai which was 900 odd km. I now go Udon, Nong Bua Lamphu, Wang Sa Phung, Phu Rua, Dan Sai, Nakhon Thai, Chat Trakan and then up the 11 and 1. It is shorter, quicker and beautiful scenery.
If I am around when you do it I will definitely join you probably in Petchabun. I should be back mid-December but I have a sneaky suspicion you will have done it by then. I like Loei too and would like to ride around there more, Robot nightclub is a good place for a bit of debauchery. I also plan going to Song Khla at some point. Will have to do a trip report at some time too, now I have a camera.
Regards
Jim