Ride thru the Cardamoms for UNICEF,

Oct 1, 2009
Hi guys! There is a ride being planned to go thru the Cardamoms in Late November. We meet in Pailn on the 23rd to head up. The ride is planned for 5 to 7 days, and will also pass thru the Kirirom National Park. All riders in Cambodia wishing to participate, Please call me on 077 97 80 85, or mail me on [email [email protected]][email protected][/email], you will need to arrange or have your own bike, and pay your own expenses. The trip will be published in three dirt mags, as well as on this and 8 other forums.

If you cant make the ride, donations and or sposorship are welcome.

You can also mail to Bard in this forum as he is the organizer of the trip.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
This will be a great tour, and it is for a good cause. So I really hope as many as possible can at least meet us during the ride, at least ride with us to meet up when we donate etc.

Please PM for details.

Sincerely

Bard

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Hi LaudJohn,

Here is the proposed route we will do;

22nd Bikers who rent in Phom Phen will ride to Pailin
23rd Bikers from Thailand will pop border and meet riders from PP in Pailin, then ride to Osom
24th Ride to Koh Kong (1 - 3 days depending on the conditions)

-- Ride from Koh Kong to Kirirom through Cardamoms
-- Ride from Kirirom to Kep / S'Ville through Bokor
-- Rider from Kep / S'Ville to PP

In PP we will meet up with CMAC and UNICEF

After this rental bikers will return home, bikers from Thailand might continue on more, not a part of the program so we will take it as it comes.

Support, we have a GPS tracking system on one of the bikes who reports in our position to support center at all times, they can always see where we are.
Also have; Satellite phone, with backup satellite phone, 6 wheel drive truck to rescue, full trained medic on the tour with kit. International air rescue insurance, and communication radios to Army / Police and emergency services.
We also have comprehensive equipment to get through situations, so we should be prepared to solve situations.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Hi LaudJohn,

Here is the proposed route we will do;

22nd Bikers who rent in Phom Phen will ride to Pailin
23rd Bikers from Thailand will pop border and meet riders from PP in Pailin, then ride to Osom
24th Ride to Koh Kong (1 - 3 days depending on the conditions)

-- Ride from Koh Kong to Kirirom through Cardamoms
-- Ride from Kirirom to Kep / S'Ville through Bokor
-- Rider from Kep / S'Ville to PP

In PP we will meet up with CMAC and UNICEF

After this rental bikers will return home, bikers from Thailand might continue on more, not a part of the program so we will take it as it comes.

Support, we have a GPS tracking system on one of the bikes who reports in our position to support center at all times, they can always see where we are.
Also have; Satellite phone, with backup satellite phone, 6 wheel drive truck to rescue, full trained medic on the tour with kit. International air rescue insurance, and communication radios to Army / Police and emergency services.
We also have comprehensive equipment to get through situations, so we should be prepared to solve situations.

Dec 30, 2003
Thanks Bard,

I'll consider it and see if I can get the time off.

I'll have to belt down to Sihanoukville to get the bike (DR650) outta storage then up to PP for a service and new knobbies then up to Batambang for a beer first.

Very tempting trip, I have wanted to do the Cardamons for a long while.

cheers

LaudJohn

Oct 30, 2009
Hello there guys

I am tuouring the world on my 1200gs , just landed with bike in Bangkok yesterday, and heading north to laos and hopefully head down to Cmabodia. I am already doing a fundrais for UNICEF through my website. I opened up a online account before leaving UK.

Would be delighted to join the group in late NOvember .

www.uk2sydney.blogspot.com

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Awesome mate,

Can't wait too meet up with you, please PM me so we can come up with a meet-up point etc.

Cheers Bard

Oct 12, 2005
Kebabtomten.

Come on the ride by all means. It'd be great to have you along I'm sure.

Just make sure to leave that beloved GS in your hotel and don't even think about taking it on the ride. No matter that the BMW marketing department has almost irresponsibly marketed that bike as an off road viable candidate you'd be far better served by renting a Honda XR250 in Cambodia than wrestling the BMW.

Hope to see you there.

Oct 1, 2009
I have mailed you personally mate, I am on the tour, suggest you let me arrange a 250cc for you, as suggested in my mail.

Oct 30, 2009
Hi Guys

I can see that you have mixed felligs about the Gs. But let me assure you that I have crossed rivers in the Karakoram ,climbed mountains Kyrgystan, mudd,sand in Kazakstan, high passes , you name it I have done it WITH ROAD TIRES and fully loaded at about 300kg hahaah. Just Imagine what it will do with offroad tires on and without luggade!!!

So the hype s real.

I even managed to get it airborn In Pakistan ( did not see the bump) , so personally I feel more comfy on my bike. You guys now the situation off the roads and the river crossings better than I do . If theres will there hope

Anyways I am heading to MAe sot tomorrow , to continue up to Soppong ,Chang Maei . Chang Raei , Mae Saei then Into LAos and follow the Mekong down to Pakse .

cheers

Oct 12, 2005
Kebabtomten - Love your desire and willingness to take the GS but at least be informed before you make that decision.

Read this post about the trail:
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/riding-through-the-cardamom-mountains--a-trip-report-t5225.html

Look at the bridges that the bikes have to pass over on this route. Your GS weighs if I remember correctly about 585 pounds....dry. I'm reckoning there is no way it will be able to cross the bridges since they were designed for the weight of scooters, not lardy touring bikes, and will collapse. Just getting off road enduro bikes across is a challenge, a full dress tourer is maniacal in my eyes. The pictures in the linked post are prior to this years rainy season which will have damaged and washed out those bridges so they will be in even worse condition than the pictures dictate.

I don't doubt your riding capabilities, as you state you've been a lot of places round the world on dirt roads. It's just the trails on this ride are remote jungle walking tracks, not 4wd roads.

Far be it for me to tell anybody what can or cannot be accomplished. Its just that lugging that 600 pound bike through the terrain is not only your responsibility, its the responsibility of your fellow riding buddies also and trying to wrestle that bike through the intended path just may be a mouthful that may prove too big. This is a remote jungle track and there is not an easier alternative to get through the Cardamom mountain range yet.

Anyway I encourage you to read the linked ride report then let us know if you still feel driven to take the BMW.

Love your enthusiasm :D .

dtd

Oct 6, 2009
try to turn around ur bike with the heavy luggage when u r on a small trail, imagine how hard it is n imagine when they are no way to push start --even if ur bike is push-able to start it--ur heavy bike. i would kick n call my bike a modafuka in that situation n call the bike sweet on the easy road with tons of luggage n praise it for the well done job. DONT BE A BURDEN FOR THE GROUP BUT A BE HELPFUL ONE--JUST IN ANY CASE.

Oct 12, 2005
Forgot to add Kebabtomten when you are coming to Chiang Mai gimme a ring on 0879727673, can get together for a meal somewhere if you like.

shadow

Jun 27, 2007
While I agree with the others about the GS suitability for the trip there is no reason not to give it a go. As long as he is willing to turn around and ride out alone. You can quickly access when you come to a point where you are not happy to proceed.

River crossings are the one of the places that it normaly very easy to turn around. The other thing that brings most riders undone is big ruts in the road and I mean several feet deep or high depending on your perspective. The road will gradually get smaller or in some places may go from a wide 4 wheel drive track to a narrow detour very quickly.

Personally I think it will be too wet and muddy for any of you to get through.

there are two types of mud in Cambodia deep thick mud that just holds your bike in one place and a very thin glaze of mud on a hard road that turns to something slipperyer than ice.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
I second that the GS is a beast on a trail like this.

Also note we might have to turn around on dirtbikes if it's to hard to get through. I hope we can do it, and see how hard it is at this time of the year. Certainly we will do our best to get through, I do not believe a GS can do it at all let alone this time of the year.

We have been predicted a 30% chance to succeed with purpose built dirt bikes. That encourages me to make it even more. Nothing is better than a challenge like that.

Cheers Bard

Oct 1, 2009
Mate, all of the above comments are valid ones. You are welcome to come on the trip with us, I still strongly advise you to store the 1200 and hire a 250, but if you insist on trying the 1200, I ask only that if your bike becomes a burden to the group, that you will turn back. Please send me your private mail so I can send you a release form and emergency card. You will need to print it out and have it with you when you come please.

I have no doubt as to your riding ability, but a 1200 in the jungle.......If you had a KTM, stripped down to mx, better. Please allow me to book you a 250 for the trip.

Mick

Oct 1, 2009
Shall I arrange you a 250, or do you want to try the 1200, under the provision that you will turn back if you cant proceed further? Can get you a 250 for 15 usd per day mate, need the riders. What say?

Mick :idea:

Oct 1, 2009
Mate, if you hire a 250, its ready to go, it will save on wear ad tear on your 1200, plus, if you have any major mechanical problems, you cant get them fixed right away, your parts will have to be ordered, you will have to buy them out of customs, pay severe import tax, not to mention the cost of getting your damaged 1200 out of wherever and back tp PP.

Take the advice, hire a 250, come along for some adventure. The group has voted, you are welcome on the tour, but please take a 250.

Mick

Dec 30, 2003
I was on a trail ride in the Melbournne bush last weekend. There was a GS1200. The guy, a very capable rider dropped it at the only bit of mud. No lugague .. boy was it heavy to lift .. wouldn't be able to do it many times.

A mate took his DR650 into the Cardamons a couple of years ago. He burnt the clutch out. Toook 4 days and 6 guys for them to bring the bike out in pieces.. All up over $1k to get it out of the bush and put back together .. no tother way out for the bike. They wern't gentle when they broke it down.

The DR650 weighs 147kg dry weight.

After Micks comments to me I remembered this and remembered why I was looking to buy a DRZ400E .. to do this trip .. but probablly later in the season when it is drier .. some year.

This is not an easy 4wd track, it is a washed out single track in many places with deep ruts and single log bridges. It is the hardest ride in Cambodia.

I did Death Highway back when it was a track all the way in 2005 in the early wet season on a 250 .. it took us two days, over 18 hours of riding to get through about 125kms and we lost one bike to a burnt out clutch .. that is the second hardest track in Cambodia.

If you take the GS1200 into the Cardamons, don't be surprised if it doesn't get ridden out.

good luck guys... If you are doing it in late Feb I would be interested and probablly available.

cheers

LaudJohn

Oct 30, 2009
Cheers Guys

I have seen the pics and get that it is a tough track. I was keen on doing this on my own bike . But as said dont want to be a pain in the ass for an entire groupe . I dot have any inrerest in renting bikes etc so I will continue my journey on my own as planned :D :D

I just thought it would be fun to join a groupe. I might see you all for a beer or two in Phom Phen :D .

By the way I have dropped the bike several times and picked it up without any problem. The only time its a issue is when i dropped it in desert and in rivers .

Now I need to find me a set off new tyres in chiang mai as i seem to have a pucture on the front :wink:

Have fun on the trail guys

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Hi Dave,

Great thanks a lot, hope we get a lot of good pictures to share from the tour. Without the help from GT-Riders it would not be possible to get this underway so nicely.

Thank you guys for helping out for this tour, I really appreciate it.

Cheers Bard