Riding the Himalaya's Razorback on the Enfield 350

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
It was almost not to be. Though I felt a bit off, the opportunity was too good to miss - I had a track session in Pasir Gudang early National Day and by afternoon I had a fever of 39degress. The doctor was not too enthusiastic - he took a sample of my blood to check for dengue, as he put it.

But the medicine had me sorted out, and by the time I had to take the plane the fever had gone down, and with a sense of trepidation that I might have dengue, I was on the plane and deposited into a balmy Delhi in about 6 hours.

Almost a year in the planning, this trip was promising to be quite a ride: A 900+ kilometres trip into Leh from Manali, through the Himalayas and some of the highest mountain passes in the world; thereon to Srinagar from Leh.

In Delhi I managed to snag an Enfield Thunderbird, a 350cc four stroke in Karol Bagh - a place choked with bikes and spares:

india_day1_01.jpg

Karol Bagh

india_day1_02.jpg

Karol Bagh

india_day1_03.jpg

Karol Bagh

india_day1_04.jpg

Identity Crisis

india_day1_05.jpg

The Thunderbird

The First Leg: Delhi - Shimla
The day started well, the rental shop gave me a ride out of town. Delhi is not a place you want to do much riding. It's a chaotic mess, more bumper car than proper driving. There are no rules when driving in India - it makes for very hectic and dangerous driving.

We rode for about 150km through sunshine before the wheather turned vicious: the rain started lashing down pretty good. It was crazy for a while - riding two up and trying to keep the bike upright through ankle deep waters that were churning round street corners and there was the Thunderbird, splonking through large potholes. The rain was so bad even the cows were off the streets and standing under awning giving us looks as we passed.

india_leg1_01.jpg

The Delhi - Amritsar highway. Pretty smooth, most of it anyways

india_leg1_02.jpg

At a gas station in Chandigarh. In case youre wondering what the plastic cans are for, theyre for the fuel I need to carry cause there arent that many gas stations on my route.

india_leg1_03.jpg

A rare let up in the rain.

india_leg1_04.jpg

india_leg1_05.jpg

india_leg1_06.jpg

india_leg1_07.jpg

A glimpse of Shimla

Unfortunately I didnt get the chance of take much pictures. The rain came on so suddenly I didnt even have the chance to put on my rain pants or rain covers. By the time we got to Shimla I was cold and freezing!

Some scenes from Shimla
india_shimla1.jpg

india_shimla2.jpg

india_shimla3.jpg

india_shimla4.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Second Leg: Shimla - Manali
The day started miserably, holding on to the coattails of the previous day. We made our way out of Shimla in the drizzle, but the wheather improved the further into Himachal Pradesh we went.

india_day2_01.jpg

india_day2_02.jpg

india_day2_03.jpg

india_day2_04.jpg

india_day2_05.jpg

india_day2_06.jpg

Narrow mountain roads - this was a constant: roads so narrow it was amazing how the Indians squeezed pass themselves.

india_day2_07.jpg

Mud

india_day2_08.jpg

More mud

india_day2_09.jpg

Tea stop - by now the sun was beginning to show itself

india_day2_10.jpg

india_day2_11.jpg

india_day2_12.jpg

Another constant - rockfalls

india_day2_13.jpg

184kilometres to Manali

india_day2_14.jpg

Coming out of Bilaspur

Everything came undone a few kilometres outside of Bilaspur - mudslides had made the road impassable. A long queue of cars, trucks and buses stood aimless around, waiting for the heavy cranes to restore sanity. Riding a bike does have advantages: most bikers were having a go at the mudslide. I managed halfway through the first slide, halfway through the second one before I bogged down in squelching mud halfway up t my knees. Bummer.

Somehow I madeit through with the help of a bunch of locals who lifted the bike over the worst of the mudslide. I was thinking was out of the woods and Manali was still a good possibility. Boy was I ever wrong: there was an even bigger mudslide ahead - the path took the bike down the road till at a point where all the bikers had to gun the bike over a 2 metre hedge. By then the cranes were there and laid a steep 70 degree muddle slope. The Thunderbird made it through, barely, with a dozen hands grabbing the bike to ease it over.

The bike was caked with mud, my rain covers were gone, sucked in by the mud, my shoes were more brown than black, but somehow I was out on the other side. Now all I had was about 5 kilometres of backed up traffic to navigate. Abreast the trucks werent giving much space - did I mention the entire road clung along the side of a mountain, and I had to thread the Thunderbird along the edge - trucks on my right and a sheer cliff edge to the left. At a point I even had to give that meagre space up for an elephant (you heard right) that was lumbering up.

Incredible India!

india_day2_15.jpg

Trying to get to the front

india_day2_16.jpg

Traffic backed up

india_day2_17.jpg

That not the mudslide

india_day2_18.jpg

This is the mudslide

india_day2_19.jpg

Well and truly stuck

It was somewhat of a pity I didnt take too many pictures - wished I did. But man, I was way too busy getting myself out that mud.

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Second Leg Continued: Mandi - Manali
By the time I was sorted out it was pushing 5 in the afternoon and I was bushed. We decided to stay in the nearest town, Mandi, and carry on to Manali the next day. Come morning we were out in the sunshine and we had a comfortable ride to Manali.

Some pictures from the Kulu Valley ride:

india_day3_01.jpg

india_day3_02.jpg

india_day3_03.jpg

india_day3_04.jpg

india_day3_05.jpg

india_day3_06.jpg

india_day3_07.jpg

india_day3_08.jpg

india_day3_09.jpg

india_day3_10.jpg

india_day3_11.jpg

india_day3_12.jpg

india_day3_13.jpg

india_day3_14.jpg

india_day3_15.jpg

india_day3_16.jpg

india_day3_17.jpg

india_day3_18.jpg

india_day3_19.jpg

india_day3_20.jpg

india_day3_21.jpg

india_day3_22.jpg

india_day3_23.jpg

india_day3_24.jpg

india_day3_25.jpg

india_day3_26.jpg

india_day3_27.jpg

Some shots from Manali:
Im not doing Manali much justice with these few pictures - its actually a very pretty place in beautiful alpine setting:

india_manali1.jpg

india_manali2.jpg

india_manali3.jpg

india_manali4.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Third Leg: Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Leh
The next morning we started out at 7am, hoping to beat the crowd. The Thunderbird barged its way past many trucks, slipped and slid on the sharp slopes up to the first pass: Rohtang Pass.

The roads were atrocious - correction, there wasnt much of a road - mud mixed with stones both small and large make for a very slippery ascent up. By the time we got up, there were patches of blue in the sky.

As we got higher a vulture swopped out of the morning mist - there was a calf on the mountain that was on its last breath.

Manali to Leh was taken in small steps, firstly to enjoy the scenery and secondly to aclimatise to the high altitudes. Due to some Indian National Day celebration we couldnt find a place to stay in Keylong, a smallish town. Instead we had to settle for Jispa, a small village with a hotel, a further 30km from Keylong. Even though we did about 130km on the first day they felt like a thousand kilometres - the roads were aweful, the 20km from Keylong to Jispa was basically rocks. The bike vibrated so much through those rocks the fuel cap came undone and flew off - as far as I knew its still somewhere along the road. I had to use the hotel's bathing cap and a rubber band to keep the fuel from evaporating!

However despite that the scenery was awesome, huge mountains sprang up around every bend, each one more larger than the last. You can see huge waterfalls from the melting snow, and most mountains peaks were snow capped. The country was rugged and amazing.

Now the pics:

indiamain101.jpg

Out of Manali, early morning and cold

indiamain102.jpg

Almost the top of Rohtang Pass

indiamain103.jpg

Couple of coffeeshops there

indiamain104.jpg

indiamain105.jpg

A vulture drying out its wings and giving us the stare as we pass by

indiamain106.jpg

indiamain107.jpg

indiamain108.jpg

Top of Rohtang Pass

indiamain109.jpg

indiamain110.jpg

indiamain111.jpg

A dhaba, or coffeshop on the other side of the pass. The two of us had aloo prathas and tea for 50 Rupees or $2

indiamain112.jpg

indiamain113.jpg

indiamain114.jpg

Tandi gas station - no more for the next 360km till Leh

indiamain115.jpg

indiamain116.jpg

indiamain117.jpg

Another water hazard - there are numerous streams you will have to cross on this leg

indiamain118.jpg

indiamain119.jpg

indiamain120.jpg

indiamain121.jpg

The little village of Jispa

indiamain122.jpg

Our hotel, nestled among hulking snow capped mountains and the Beas River

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Third Leg(Continued): Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Leh
The day was clear and bright and sunny - in fact we didnt have any trouble with the wheather untill we returned to Delhi. Everyday was gloriously bright, more so for people from the tropics because the wind was very cold. Standing in the shade was an easy way to start shivering, we spent as much time in the sun as possible, and might have gotten a few shades of brown because of it.

We had an easy (if there's such a thing) ride of 80ish kilometres to Sarchu where we had a tent waiting for us. We rode through gorgeous scenery again and came up Zing Zing Bar (4287metres) - with a name like that I expected something more than just a couple of shacks! After Zing Zing Bar it was uphill to Baralacha La (5029metres). The thunderbird, like its occupants was panting by the time we were up. The headaches which started in Jispa were pounding here, the situation somewhat compounded by the bad roads - our brains were rattling in the helmets.

From the top it was mostly downhill through bad roads to Sarchu and the tents.

The tents are pretty basic - just beds with thick blankets. Its pretty awefully cold in Sarchu, youre looking at 6 or 7 degrees celsius. The wind swoop down the valley (its a pretty high valley mind you - at 3.8km above sea level) in a steady howling stream. There's absolutely nothing to do in Sarchu except maybe tend to your headache and look at the raw vistas that stretch out before you. I will not even go into the pretty basic toilet facilities - taking a dump in a small tent in a toilet bowl that's propped up by slabs of rock while the freezing wind ruffles and howls around the tent can be very exciting - enough said.

indiamain201.jpg

More from around Jispa

indiamain202.jpg

The scenery was food for the eyes

indiamain203.jpg

More streams fed by snow melting high up in the mountains

indiamain204.jpg

I wont say bad roads!

indiamain205.jpg

indiamain206.jpg

Zing Zing Bar arounds

indiamain207.jpg

Zing Zing Bar arounds

indiamain208.jpg

Zing Zing Bar arounds

indiamain209.jpg

Zing Zing Bar arounds

indiamain210.jpg

indiamain211.jpg

Baralacha La - 5029metres. I just stood up and took a a couple of pics.

indiamain212.jpg

Baralacha La - 5029metres. We stayed maybe about 20 seconds before we moved on!

indiamain213.jpg

indiamain214.jpg

indiamain215.jpg

indiamain216.jpg

Dhabas - bloody in the middle of nowhere, but the tea was very good!

indiamain217.jpg

indiamain218.jpg

indiamain219.jpg

indiamain220.jpg

Finally at Sarchu.

Pictures from around Sarchu:

indiamain221.jpg

indiamain222.jpg

indiamain223.jpg

indiamain224.jpg

indiamain225.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Third Leg (Continued): Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Leh
The final day on the Leh ride. We got up early after a restless night - I was up every hour wondering how long I had before daybreak. We were off by 7am and boy it was bloody cold in the shadows of the mountains.

First up were the Gata Loops, a collection of bends that resemble a long twisted noodle. That got us up to the first pass of the day: Nakee La at 4.7km. Next up was Lachulung La at 5.06km. From there it was mostly bumpy rocks till Pang, a tent town. From Pang it was onwards to the Moores Plains which are situated in a plateau at 4.6km above sea level. You might otherwise considering how flat the terrain is and how the mountain sprout out on both side of the plateau like tooths.

The Moores Plain was pretty bad even though I heard otherwise. There were roadworks going on, and sections of the road was 2 foot deep sand. The Thunderbird spent some time trying to twist upon itself. It also blew a fuse here - for a while there it was panic station as I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the bike. I didnt fancy getting stuck in the middle of nowhere!

After Moores it was upwards again to Tanglang La at 5.35km. Did I say there are no roads, just rocks - big rocks! The views at the top were impressive. Then it was downhill, shuddering all the way to Leh where the roads improved.

indiamain301.jpg

Gata Loops

indiamain302.jpg

Gata Loops

indiamain303.jpg

Gata Loops

indiamain304.jpg

At the top - Nakee La

indiamain305.jpg

Traffic Jam. The place a couple of large rocks under the front wheel of the army truck

indiamain306.jpg

That lifted the army truck and provided that couple of inch for the tanker to scrap metallicly through

indiamain307.jpg

Approaching Pang

indiamain308.jpg

Pang

indiamain309.jpg

Moores Plains - doesnt look like its more than 4km above sea level

indiamain310.jpg

Moores Plains

indiamain311.jpg

Moores Plains

indiamain312.jpg

Tanglang La

indiamain313.jpg

Tanglang La

indiamain314.jpg

Ladakh and getting closer to Leh

indiamain315.jpg

indiamain316.jpg

indiamain317.jpg

indiamain318.jpg

indiamain319.jpg

Just outside of Leh

indiamain320.jpg

indiamain321.jpg

indiamain322.jpg

Finally in the guest house in Leh

indiamain323.jpg

Guest house in Leh

Some pictures from around Leh:

indialeh01.jpg

the twisty back alleys of Leh

indialeh02.jpg

indialeh03.jpg

indialeh04.jpg

indialeh05.jpg

indialeh06.jpg

indialeh07.jpg

indialeh08.jpg

indialeh09.jpg

indialeh10.jpg

indialeh11.jpg

indialeh12.jpg

the view from our guesthouse

indialeh13.jpg

indialeh14.jpg

Guy's Kawasaki broke down in Pang - about 150km from Leh

indialeh15.jpg

Its amazing what you can put on the top of a bus!

indialeh16.jpg

indialeh17.jpg

View from Shanti Stupa at dusk

indialeh18.jpg

View from Shanti Stupa at dusk

indialeh19.jpg

Shanti Stupa

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Fourth Leg: Leh - Kargil - Srinagar
Next up was a comfortable 400km saunter to the Kashmir valley and Srinagar with an overnight stop in Kargil. The 200km stretch to Kargil took us about 6 hours and through mostly good roads (subjective here - compared to what we have been riding on!).

Leaving Leh we managed to pass the Dalai Lama who had a long train of cars following him. The roads were lined with people hoping to glimpse the Dalai Lama and had to deal with a dusty Enfield till the Dalai Lama drove by. The high road through Lamaruyu was amazing, though I didnt get any proper pictures of the thousand year old monastery there. We bumped into a bunch of Polish riders who had shipped their bikes over to India and were footloose and fancyfree through the Himalayan and Zanskar ranges with the BMWs and Africa Twins.

Kargil was pretty dull. We didnt do much except watch tv - miraculously they had satellite tv and managed to catch the Motogp. The next day we were held up in Kargil while the local school had a race on the local roads. We finally got on the road and made our way to Zoji La Pass, the pass that pass from the brown Ladakh ranges into the green verdant valleys of Kashmir.

Zoji La Pass itself was in a terrible state - large rocks, exceeding narrow roads, and potholes so large they were craters.

indiamain401.jpg

Out of Leh we bumped into a Polish ragtag bunch of riders

indiamain402.jpg

Lamaruyu

indiamain403.jpg

One of the many quirky roadsigns put up by BRO

indiamain404.jpg

Lamaruyu

indiamain405.jpg

indiamain406.jpg

indiamain407.jpg

indiamain408.jpg

indiamain409.jpg

indiamain410.jpg

indiamain411.jpg

indiamain412.jpg

Approaching Kargil

indiamain413.jpg

Kargil

indiamain414.jpg

Kargil

indiamain415.jpg

Kargil

indiamain416.jpg

Hmmm - the enemy is evidently just over the hills. Close to where the Pakistani came over in 99

indiamain417.jpg

A village just outside of Kargil

indiamain418.jpg

A village just outside of Kargil

indiamain419.jpg

indiamain420.jpg

indiamain421.jpg

indiamain422.jpg

indiamain423.jpg

Approaching Zoji La Pass

indiamain424.jpg

indiamain425.jpg

Climbing the Zoji La Pass

indiamain426.jpg

The top

indiamain427.jpg

Tourist - you find them everywhere nowadays - this bunch took a bus up.

indiamain428.jpg

The road down the pass and into Kashmir

indiamain429.jpg

Going down - I wouldnt even call that a road!

indiamain430.jpg

indiamain431.jpg

indiamain432.jpg

The green Kashmiri valley

indiamain433.jpg

More from Kashmir

indiamain434.jpg

More from Kashmir

indiamain435.jpg

More from Kashmir

indiamain436.jpg

More from Kashmir

Pictures from Srinagar, with the Daal Lake and several mosques:

indiakashmir01.jpg

indiakashmir02.jpg

indiakashmir03.jpg

indiakashmir04.jpg

indiakashmir05.jpg

indiakashmir05a.jpg

indiakashmir06.jpg

indiakashmir06a.jpg

indiakashmir07a.jpg

indiakashmir07.jpg

indiakashmir08.jpg

indiakashmir09.jpg

indiakashmir10.jpg

indiakashmir11.jpg

indiakashmir12.jpg

indiakashmir13.jpg

indiakashmir14.jpg

indiakashmir15.jpg

indiakashmir16.jpg

indiakashmir17.jpg

indiakashmir18.jpg

indiakashmir18.jpg

indiakashmir19.jpg

indiakashmir20.jpg

indiakashmir21.jpg

indiakashmir22.jpg

indiakashmir23.jpg

indiakashmir24.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
The Fifth Leg: Srinagar - Amritsar
A 430ish kilometre jaunt, the ride to Amritsar was done in one day. We went from the cool valleys of Kashmir into the dry and hot plains of Punjab. The road was mostly good - early morning in Srinagar and the road to Jammu saw loads of military personnel combing the road and surrounding countryside for mines. The day passed pretty much uneventfully and by 6pm we were in Amritsar.

We did a bit of a walkabout in Amritsar, and the evening the next day we went down to the Wagah border to watch the border closing ceremony. More of that on YouTube here - . Its a bit of a show the 2 sides put up with flag waving and goose step marching and taunting.

indiamain501.jpg

Last looks at Kashmir

indiamain502.jpg

Last looks at Kashmir

indiamain503.jpg

Last looks at Kashmir

indiamain504.jpg

Last looks at Kashmir

indiamain505.jpg

Last looks at Kashmir

indiagt1.jpg

The Golden Temple in Amritsar

indiagt2.jpg

indiagt3.jpg

indiagt5.jpg

indiagt4.jpg

From around Amritsar

indiamaritsar01.jpg

indiamaritsar02.jpg

indiamaritsar03.jpg

indiamaritsar04.jpg

indiamaritsar05.jpg

indiamaritsar06.jpg

indiamaritsar07.jpg

indiamaritsar08.jpg

Attari Wagah Border Ceremony

indiaborder1.jpg

indiaborder2.jpg

indiaborder3.jpg

indiaborder4.jpg

indiaborder5.jpg

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005
Nothing much to say about the last day on the bike. A 500km kilometre jaunt went smoothly till about a 100km from Delhi when a stray spoke peeled back the chainguard, pushing it rearwards. Luckily it didnt get stuck in the wheel, and after taking off the wheel I managed to hammer it back to place. It held for another 70km but by then it was raining and I made it into Delhi and back to the bikeshop with the chainguard rubbing against the spokes.

And thats about it.

Some pictures from around Delhi, and the Taj Mahal (which I managed in a day trip from Delhi)

indiadelhi01.jpg

indiadelhi02.jpg

indiadelhi03.jpg

indiadelhi04.jpg

indiadelhi05.jpg

indiadelhi06.jpg

indiadelhi07.jpg

indiadelhi08.jpg

indiadelhi09.jpg

indiadelhi10.jpg

indiataj01.jpg

indiataj02.jpg

indiataj03.jpg

indiataj04.jpg

indiataj05.jpg

indiataj06.jpg

indiataj07.jpg

indiataj08.jpg

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Thank you for taking us on such an epic journey.
Awesome pix of an amazing trip.
Was there any reason you chose a 350 instead of the 500?
How many kms & how many days in total?

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Totally impressive, especially considerring the state of this roads and indian style driving habits !!! How long did this take you ??
Himachal Pradesh & Ladakh are for sure the most amazing states in India. Back in 1988 I walked alone from Leh-Lamayuru-Manali, by then the roads were even worse or non-existent. Did you access the Manali-Leh track without any hassles ?? Or still the frequent stops trough police//military personnel ?? Oh I would love to go back to India and follow your tracks on a big bike............cheers & congratulations for this sucessful trip, Franz

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Wow. Congratulations. Amazing trip, photos & write up - Robert H (The China Rider) has some competition now!
Many thanks for contributing this to the GT Rider board.

FB666Y

Sep 15, 2005

Thank you for taking us on such an epic journey.
Awesome pix of an amazing trip.
Was there any reason you chose a 350 instead of the 500?
How many kms & how many days in total

Rhodie:
Well let's see - we were riding two up, myself and the girlfriend and the Thunderbird was somewhat friendlier that way.
Plus the Bullet has the brakes and gears on the wrong feet!

We left Delhi on Sunday 12 Aug and were back by Friday 24 Aug. So thats a total of 13 days.
Unfortunately I didnt have much time in the way of leave - plenty of stuff that I didnt get to see or do.

Distance wise it was about 2000km, give or take.

Totally impressive, especially considerring the state of this roads and indian style driving habits !!! How long did this take you ??
Himachal Pradesh & Ladakh are for sure the most amazing states in India. Back in 1988 I walked alone from Leh-Lamayuru-Manali, by then the roads were even worse or non-existent. Did you access the Manali-Leh track without any hassles ?? Or still the frequent stops trough police//military personnel ?? Oh I would love to go back to India and follow your tracks on a big bike............cheers & congratulations for this sucessful trip, Franz

Franz:
You walked?! And I thought the cyclists were crazy!
Anyways no hassles from Delhi - Manali - Leh. It was only around Kargil that we had to register at the police checkpoints.
In all maybe 3 or 4 checkpoints - one before Kargil, one right outside of kargil, another 2 at the Zoji La pass.
Other than that there was a heavy military presence all along the Kashmir valley right up to Srinagar. Every hundred metres or so along the 100km stretch into Srinagar you see the soldier standing just off the road - must be bored - most of them were on their cell phones!

As for the roads - what roads! It made riding in Laos on my R1 a cakewalk! My gas cap vibrated off after shuddering through a 20km stretch of loose pebbles where I didnt dare go above 30kmh. A lot of roads were basically just rocks - its a wonder how the trucks and buses handled those roads.

But I guess thats just part and parcel of the whole journey. The scenery made up for anything the roads lacked. Round every corner and as far as the eye can see - those pictures fail to put into perspective how it feels to be there.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
[Franz:
You walked?! And I thought the cyclists were crazy!

Not crazy but when I was 19 years younger I liked mountaineering; wanted to start in Leh, go up the Ganges, round the Kailash, follow the Brahmaphutra down to Lhasa, but the Chinese wouldn't let me in, nor did the Pakistanis so I had to shorten the trip and simply walk down to Manali, went up to 6.500 m but had to turn back because of heavy snow. One year later I tried the "white needle" but had a deep plunge, that's when I decided to climb mountains with the help of motorbikes. Now I'm getting really jealous about your tour.........

Another good place to make tours like this should be Nepal, have been there many times but did not bike there but was aware of a lot of overseas Bmw's, XT's and AT's, even in Phokara.....just have a look, fancy to do another tour???? If you do just email me, might do so myself !! Cheers, Franz

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Thanks for writting up your epic journey...

I have been following it as you posted but wanted to wait until the end to comment to keep it all together...

I hope that you gave the 'soft' riders from Poland on their purpose built bikes all sorts of hell [:D]

Cheers,
Daewoo