Shipping your bike into Cambodia

Jun 8, 2007
If you are flying into Phnom Penh from Bangkok and you want to bring
your bike with you is it feasable to ship it by land. Can you keep the Thai registration or do you need to re-register it in Cambodia?
Also, are the shipping costs prohibitive?

Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.

[?]

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
Why ship? Rent in PP. If you are going to keep the bike in Cambodia, you can ship it from BKK but it's fairly expensive by regular companies.

What kind of bike? How long in Cambodia?

Jun 8, 2007
it's a city bike for transport within and around pp, a 125 cc scooter.
not suitable for riding all the way to phnom penh
from thailand. actually i wouldn't ride it even from pattaya to bangkok.
so what's more expensive? selling it and buying a new one in pp or
shipping it to pp and keeping the thai reg. and insurance which is already paid for. i'm staying in pp for several months, perhaps a year or more.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
In Thailand your Thai registration is worth something and would add to the resale value of the bike?
In Cambodia that Thai registration is worth nothing in resale value
If you're thinking of selling the bike, I would suggest selling it in Thailand
In Cambodia I believe you can ride around with a Thai registered bike but some police may give you a hard time about it.
Buying a bike in Cambodia is an easy process and the bike shops can organize legitimate import tax and registration papers for you.
The on road costs are a lot cheaper here than Thailand.
A Cambodian drivers license (still optional in Phnom Penh for motorbikes but required by law in Sihanoukville if you're a foreigner) can be obtained thru the bike shops for ~$30. The dept of transport needs to see the license from your own country , and will issue the Cambo 1 year license based on that plus the $30 fee.
3rd party insurance for a 125cc will cost ~$60 per year, and you must have a Cambodian registered bike and Cambo license to qualify.

Aug 7, 2003
If you look at the ride report for an attempt to get into Vietnam a group of guys rode scooters from Pattaya right thru Cambo and Laos.

The no hassle way is buy your bike in Cambo, the interesting way is ride it across, don't go thru the main crossings.To stay legal in Cambo make sure to get a Cambo import paper. The main problem you will have is the Thai customs only give a restricted time on the temporary export paper (usually only 30 days), you guarantee a payment of a fine usually 150% of the value if the bike is not returned within the stated time.I have never heard of anyone getting a long export permit(more than 3 months). For permanent export you need to cancel the Green book and plate (ie.unregister the bike)a hassle to then register in Cambo.What bikes do all the khmers ride in the bush ? Scooters!

Buy your bike in Cambo if you looking at long term. Good luck.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Bill wrote...'In Cambodia I believe you can ride around with a Thai registered bike but some police may give you a hard time about it.'

***I know a few farang residents in Sihanoukville which have Aussie and/or Thai licensed bikes and they have had no problems. Nor have they sought to convert the bikes to Cambo plates.
"Laud John", on this forum, can best expand on this topic as well potential probs in PPenh.

Harrythefinn wrote...'To stay legal in Cambo make sure to get a Cambo import paper. The main problem you will have is the Thai customs only give a restricted time on the temporary export paper (usually only 30 days), you guarantee a payment of a fine usually 150% of the value if the bike is not returned within the stated time.I have never heard of anyone getting a long export permit(more than 3 months). For permanent export you need to cancel the Green book and plate (ie.unregister the bike)a hassle to then register in Cambo.'

***Hmm...I've ridden into Cambo a few times (at Ban Hat Lek/Koh Kong), obtained my visa, but was never asked about my Thai licensed bike. Nor was I asked for such a document when I exited Cambo and into Laos in the north or on the times I've returned back thru Koh Kong. I was unaware you needed a Cambo import document? Maybe I've just been lucky?? What does the doc cost??

When I did my Cambo-Laos-back to Thailand trip I was given a 30-day temp export document from Customs upon exiting Thailand at Ban Hat Lek to enter Cambo. I told the Customs officer I wouldn't be returning to Thailand for 2-months...he replied 'no problem'...that the 30-days was just the standard...and there were no questions or problems at Customs upon re-entering Thailand in the north. Again, maybe I was just fortunate...and need to learn the finer points of crossing borders.

Aug 7, 2003
Cdrw,

Every border is slightly different and all the above in some variation have happened to me over the years. We used to cross unregistered for free, then it was a B1000, then it was you needed a Import duty paid paper, then you needed a green book in your own name. To do it "with in the law" takes some research as the laws change and/or the border customs don't know the regs and/or have been told to toe the line and do the paper work.This is Asia you might get away with no papers for years and then one official who has been reamed by his boss decides that you are in the wrong or needs money for his mum's funeral ,insists on all the correct paper work, and then you are f**ked.

Ref: Bill.. You cannot stay long term on a temporary export, you need to keep re-crossing the border, after a while even the local police will notice.

Ref: Sihanoukville, if you check the current situation there it is no rentals or no no plates and they are checking papers AND taking bikes.

Ref: Harrythefinn: correct legal details (from personal exp)

Ref:****Hmm...: He needed an export paper to get out of Thailand, there is no exit out of Hat Lek without the correct papers nowadays, Cambodia side can still pay but getting difficult.He is correct that exiting Cambodia the Cambodian customs rarely if ever ask for any Cambodian paperwork.Usually it is only a stamp on the back of the Thai paper, some times a seperate form.

Ref: When I did...: In law it is the same overstay fine for temporary export vehicles as with people overstaying a visa, if the customs guy doesn't know or care on re-entry you get away with it.

Take your pick, like I said they are or were all valid at some time or at some crossing point, if you have most of your ducks in a line then most of the time you will have no problems.
Hope it is clear as mud now.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
ACK!! Thanks...perfectly clear...as mud.[:D]

Slightly OT...
A five years back I managed to make an acquaintance of the then head of the Cambo Immigration border check point at Cham Yeam [Ban Hat Lek/Koh Kong]. I've kept his mobile number and whenever enter Cambo at Cham Yeam I contact him if the current border officials are adamant in the common ploy of trying to overcharge me for the visa. I may be one of the rare visitors who has _never_ been scammed and paid more than $20-US for the standard visa, or $25 for a business visa.[8D]

He was recently promoted from Lieutenant to Captain and now mainly works at the main Immigration office in PPenh. Next trip, I'll be sure and ask him what the current Cambo law is to be perfectly legal
everywhere in country when entering with a non-Cambo licensed bike.
Of course, that still won't prevent some dufus Cambo cop from seeking a few extra Riel on some trumped-up claim [:)]

Dec 30, 2003
Sirlion,

I suggest that you sell your bike in Thailand and buy one in PP.I bought a brand new 125cc Honda Wave in PP a month ago for $1250, plus the registration card/process. Heaps easier than what you are suggesting. It will beregisterd in your name.

The cost of getting your bike to PP and then back will be quite a bit. You will loose around $200 when you sell it when you depart. Plus good luck dealing with Cambodian customs if you ship it in rather than fly it in.

Alternatively you can buy a moto secondhand fop anywhere from $300 up to $1,000 depending on bike and condition.

The easiest way would be put the bike on the train the Aranyaprathet, ride it across the border (no customs, just get your visa stamped at immigration) and then put it on the back of a pick up to PP for around $25-40.

One guy on Khmer400 message board is having hell clearing his computer through customs that he shipped into PP....

good luck,

cheers,
LaudJohn

Jun 8, 2007
Thanks everyone for the input.
I think I may just sell the bike and buy one in Pnom Penh.
Seems like less hassle and less risk that way.