SSR / GTR ride from Bangkok-CNX-Chiang Dao-Phrao-Phrayao-Nan

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Liam, old fern you refer to the branch without leaves right ? Because the other 'leaves'-less subject in the picture we ususally refer to as also 'old' but not fern, start's with 'f' too followed by an 'a', 55555555555555 :D :D :D . Hihi waiting just for Peter's response...........jeeppee, Franz

PS; for the ones who don't know, Peter is my and I am his 'teasing & punching buddy'......

Apr 20, 2009
Dougal, if anyone calls you "Old Fern" after this then I sincerely apologize. That was an accident. :oops:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
TonyBKK wrote: So, been playing with Google maps and found this road (1257) to the south of the 1081 that looks amazing on the map-
PhuFaMapZm.jpg

Anyone ridden this 1257 recently that can tell us what kind of condition it's in? Would love to check it out in January- who's in? :mrgreen:

Happy Trails!

Tony
Here it is, but it's been awhile.
This was a trip to Nan with Silverhawk.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2007
HTWoodson wrote: Dougal, if anyone calls you "Old Fern" after this then I sincerely apologize. That was an accident. :oops:
Sure, an accident, yeah, whatever you say Liam... :wink: :wink: :wink:
(Besides, I think he'll forgive you as he's certainly been called far worse) :mrgreen:
Ha ha ha!!!

madjbs

Apr 10, 2006
The road is in good condition. From what I can remember there are a couple of short sections of dirt where they are resurfacing the road. Other than that it is a great road for riding. I didn't pass another car in literally an hour or two of driving.

Jun 21, 2006
visually a stunning road, although checkered by patches of gravel and other low side inducing niceties. not too much of it if i remember correctly. that was may 2009.
ride it, but be careful on those big road bikes, i was on my drz400sm perfect for it.
enjoy.

Jun 21, 2006
for the guys on the 1000's, i remember having fun on me ninja on the 1162 running SEE from wiang sa. that was a beautiful surface. the 1026 running south from the wiang sa isnt bad although not quite as grippy as 1162.

Dec 27, 2007
madjbs wrote: The road is in good condition. From what I can remember there are a couple of short sections of dirt where they are resurfacing the road. Other than that it is a great road for riding. I didn't pass another car in literally an hour or two of driving.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply- sounds like another great road worth checking out. Can't wait!

Feb 14, 2007
Captain_Slash wrote: I havent ridden the 1257 since april
And I ridden with my friends same R1257 on may 2009

Here is some picture this road. We call this road "jungle roads" :D

172_G.jpg

176_G.jpg

178_G.jpg

179_G.jpg

181_G.jpg

182_G.jpg

183_G.jpg

185_G.jpg

188_G.jpg

191_G.jpg

190_G.jpg

192_G.jpg

194_G.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
thailasse wrote: [quote quote=Captain_Slash]I havent ridden the 1257 since april
And I ridden with my friends same R1257 on may 2009

Here is some picture this road. We call this road "jungle roads" :D
Looks gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pictures- very much looking forward to exploring this road soon!

Happy Trails,

Tony

madjbs

Apr 10, 2006
Actually I was mistaken, I didn't travel on that road last weekend at all.

But, I did ride it in 2007, and although the road is small it was a really fantastic ride. It isn't a road for speed lovers and litre sports bikes but for smaller bikes it is great fun and the scenery is fantastic. Really worth riding in my opinion.

madjbs

Apr 10, 2006
The pictures reminded me that I also have some snaps of that road. Give me some time to upload them.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
madjbs wrote: Actually I was mistaken, I didn't travel on that road last weekend at all.

But, I did ride it in 2007, and although the road is small it was a really fantastic ride. It isn't a road for speed lovers and litre sports bikes .
Then it's fantastic road for Tony 650 ninja and for "banana boy" :wink:

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
No need to apologise Liam.

It seems you tickled the funny bone in some small minded people.

But, yes Tony, I have to confess to having been called a lot worse.

Mostly it was "Old B*st%rd", and for the life of me I still don't know how someone found out that I had to get a day off school to attend my parents wedding!??

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Ooops, Peter I won't call you any of the am, I will just stick to SWMBO's calling card: 'Hua Lahn' hihihihi. I know myself too: hua lahn mahkmahk lae ooan dooaey......... :mrgreen:
BTW, 1257 another road to go to in 2 weeks time, thanks for getting this one here tonybkk, thailasse, david & madjbs, Peter you ever been on that one ??........, cheers, FR

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: Ooops, Peter I won't call you any of the am, I will just stick to SWMBO's calling card: 'Hua Lahn' hihihihi. I know myself too: hua lahn mahkmahk lae ooan dooaey......... :mrgreen:
BTW, 1257 another road to go to in 2 weeks time, thanks for getting this one here tonybkk, thailasse, david & madjbs, Peter you ever been on that one ??........, cheers, FR
Cheers Franz!

Are you headed to Nan again in a couple of weeks? A New Year's ride? Would LOVE to tag along and I promise to try and keep up on my little 650 :wink:

Happy Trails!

Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony, yessssssssssssssssssssir !!!! Close the plant on the 24th afternoon and reopen on the 4th of Jan, so that are 10 days pure pleasure. Intend to go to my partners place Phrae first for 3 days/2 nights and then on to Nan again on this wonderful road a.m.
Who's keeping up with whom here ????? Just remember how I had to struggle around these small bends uphill to the NP entrance just to keep up with some devil on a greenish Ninja.......... :lol: , not mentioning the f.. watertruck who made me us a special gift in giving us a clue on where the road was........
This time will be on a slower pace as my better half will also be on a bike, most probably the SRX6 if I can't finish the 400 Bros in time (what I intend as the Bros is even slower).........
Want to join :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ?????? That would be a real pleasure, intend to go all the way up to Chiang Saen and return to CNX again via Phayao........Timing's not crucial, just go and sleep wherever we feel to. Only program is Phrae (home of the local: haee rabert..... :p :p :p ).
Ask someone from Phrae what this translates to but cover your cheeks before carefully........ :twisted: ...
Matti Marco Jaekkimaekki and Peter Hua Lahn you read this ???? You two too get to attend another bikeweek in CNX end of December, right ????
Cheers, Franz

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Franz wrote: just go and sleep wherever
Franz

You really gonna do this..i mean sleep wher ever?? :shock: Dammn that felt good to put that in here,,,555

Bike week by end of Dec?
I think i have to pass as i still dont have any advice about extra cash as that heps me to fill out the tank,,but if i win in lottery,,i'l let you guys know...

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: Tony, yessssssssssssssssssssir !!!! Close the plant on the 24th afternoon and reopen on the 4th of Jan, so that are 10 days pure pleasure. Intend to go to my partners place Phrae first for 3 days/2 nights and then on to Nan again on this wonderful road a.m.
Who's keeping up with whom here ????? Just remember how I had to struggle around these small bends uphill to the NP entrance just to keep up with some devil on a greenish Ninja.......... :lol: , not mentioning the f.. watertruck who made me us a special gift in giving us a clue on where the road was........
This time will be on a slower pace as my better half will also be on a bike, most probably the SRX6 if I can't finish the 400 Bros in time (what I intend as the Bros is even slower).........
Want to join :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ?????? That would be a real pleasure, intend to go all the way up to Chiang Saen and return to CNX again via Phayao........Timing's not crucial, just go and sleep wherever we feel to. Only program is Phrae (home of the local: haee rabert..... :p :p :p ).
Ask someone from Phrae what this translates to but cover your cheeks before carefully........ :twisted: ...
Matti Marco Jaekkimaekki and Peter Hua Lahn you read this ???? You two too get to attend another bikeweek in CNX end of December, right ????
Cheers, Franz
Cool! Well, I'll be celebrating Christmas with my son the weekend of the 25th but I'll be READY TO RIDE after I drop him at school on Monday, so I'll call you then, find out where you are, and do my best to catch up with you then.
Glad to hear there will be a slow bike- means I'll have a chance of keeping up :mrgreen:
Ride On!
Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Marco wrote: [quote quote=Franz] just go and sleep wherever
Franz

You really gonna do this..i mean sleep wher ever?? :shock: Dammn that felt good to put that in here,,,555

Bike week by end of Dec?
I think i have to pass as i still dont have any advice about extra cash as that heps me to fill out the tank,,but if i win in lottery,,i'l let you guys know...
Under a bridge, in a ditch, on bamboo, noooooooooooo, yes you got me there............ :oops: .
Bike week is always on once you need to get away from SWMBO.......win in the Thai lottery might not work more like 'waiting for Godot'...........or like:

@@ john opens the 'jinny bottle', goast is freed and offers John the fullfillment of one wish only. John you can wish whatever you want so think carefully. john thinks and thinks and thinks, finally, well, I like Hawai but live in SanFrancisco so if you could build me a bridge that would be great. Jinny replies: oh come on that's not even possible for a Jinny like me, think again and give me another easier wish. John thinks and thinks and thinks, well if you could explain to me in detail how the female brain works that would do the trick.
Jinny answers: you want the bridge with 2 or 4 lanes ??????@@

:lol: :D :) :? cheers, Franz

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote:

Under a bridge, in a ditch, on bamboo, noooooooooooo, yes you got me there............ :oops: .
Bike week is always on once you need to get away from SWMBO.......win in the Thai lottery might not work more like 'waiting for Godot'...........or like:

@@ john opens the 'jinny bottle', goast is freed and offers John the fullfillment of one wish only. John you can wish whatever you want so think carefully. john thinks and thinks and thinks, finally, well, I like Hawai but live in SanFrancisco so if you could build me a bridge that would be great. Jinny replies: oh come on that's not even possible for a Jinny like me, think again and give me another easier wish. John thinks and thinks and thinks, well if you could explain to me in detail how the female brain works that would do the trick.
Jinny answers: you want the bridge with 2 or 4 lanes ??????@@

:lol: :D :) :? cheers, Franz
Females have brains?!?! :shock:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony, I will leave CNX for "Muang Hae Rabert" Phrae most probably on Saturday 26th and stay there until earliest Monday 28th if not 29th. Then we will head to Nan, stay there one to two nights then to Phayao for a night, to WiangPaPao-Phrao-Doi Angkhang for a night and maybe even to MHS, nothing's planned all by coincidence........looking forward to ride with you again !!!!! Gerhard-Bakerboy, Bard, NotonaYamaha, Bananaboy coming too ???? Just this time I must take it easier as my BF will also be on a bike, tired of ferrying him around like a Pasha on the pillion..... :oops: Cheers, FR

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Franz,

Sounds great! Not quite sure who is coming yet- I am very much looking forward to heading north again.

Bard is picking up his new R1 on Monday and sounds like he'd like to go.

BananaBoy too!

I think unfortunately BakerBoy will be stuck minding the oven over the busy holiday period.

Don't know about the other guys yet.

Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Happy Holidays,

Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony as we met up with David yesterday, will do the X'mas ride with several GT-Riders first on Sat 26th. Will leave CNX for Phrae on Sun 27th and stay there 2 nights. Going over to Nan then on Tue 29th !! See u there soon, cheers, Fr