Step-Thru Info needed

Feb 16, 2006
Hi All,
A few friends and I will be taking a scooter tour of Northern Thailand in October/November this year.
We intend to use the Honda 110-125 4strokes as most of us ride scooters back in Melbourne as part of an informal scooter club. I know many will think it odd to tour 800K on a 125, but that is a long weekend ride for us:)
I would like to put together a small tool backup pack and am looking for some information which I can't locate on the web.

Are the tyres on the step-thrus tubed or tubeless?
If they are tubes, what is the wheel size for spare tubes?
Any ideas what the spark plug is for the above?
What size globes are the brake, indicator, park light?
I can avoid ridding in the evening so a headlight repalcement is not something I would need to carry
I was planning on bringing along a couple of sets of the following:
Multigrips
10-12mm spanners
14-16mm spanners
combination screwdriver
Spark plug spanner
Can of CRC or WD40
Insulation tape
Gaffer Tape
Replacement bulbs.

How does that sound, especially the spanner sizes?

Thanks very much in advance

Cheers

Richard
Link removed

Jul 6, 2004
It's obvious that us old adventure bikers had better find another developing country to ride in, the urban yupps are about to invade!

"I used to spend all of my money on fast cars, women and booze, now I just squander it." George Best 1946-2005 RIP

Feb 16, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Tom Forde

It's obvious that us old adventure bikers had better find another developing country to ride in, the urban yupps are about to invade!

Not the boring old Scooter/Yuppie Big Bike/Big Strong Man same old same old crap.....Brighton Beach was more than 40 years ago, get over it.
By the way I see from you web page that you are an engineer, i'm a blue collar worker myself and have proudly been all my long life......um doesn't that make you a 'Yupp' not I or as you are 56 an Oupp

[;)]

Oct 16, 2005
quote:

Gday Richard
Dont worry about Tom ... hes forgetting that the locals go everywhere he does, but without the broad seat, long travel suspension, big wheels and extra horsepower ... far more "extreme" than old Tom ... they all ride scooters.

You dont really need to bring any tools ... garages, dealerships, tyre repairs and "backyard boys" are just about everywhere, perhaps just a shifter and a couple of screwdrivers to tighten anything that rattles loose along the way.

Drew.

Jul 6, 2004
Sorry old chum, I thought you might have a sense of humour, seeing you are a blue collar worker, which happens to be the same colour I have on at the moment, I thought you might know about spark plugs and dity things.
If I offended you I appologise, too many people are getting upset these days over trivial matters like cartoons etc.
And I don't ride a big bike, just a bike for the right riding conditions, a scooter is designed for the city mate!

"I used to spend all of my money on fast cars, women and booze, now I just squander it." George Best 1946-2005 RIP

Feb 16, 2006

Sorry old chum, I thought you might have a sense of humour, I thought you might know about spark plugs and dity things.
And I don't ride a big bike, just a bike for the right riding conditions, a scooter is designed for the city mate!
No offence taken, I added the winking smilie as I thought you might just be taking the piss.
The reason for the spark plug/tool query is that I am leading the ride with 5 others who range from late 30's to mid 60's and would like to be able to get minor problems fixed on the spot.
I can't find on the net what plug the Honda Dream uses and am hoping that someone might know.

As for scooters being designed for the city.
Where would the fun be if everything we did was guided by appropriate use
[:)]
A couple of fellow scooterist are planning a round Australia 26000K trip on Vespa PX200's to raise funds for 'Cure Cancer Australia'
http://www.rightaroundaustralia.com/
Inappropriate but worthy and damn fun.

Cheers

Richard

Jul 6, 2004
Hi Richard,
You won't have any problems in Northern Thailand with a Honda 125cc, everyone can fix them,check out Col's ride around Thailand on a Honda dream, posted on this site.
Cheers
Tom

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Richard

1. Do read about Colin's tour - 20,000 km in 4 months on a step-thru.
Link removed
Also read this report of doing the MHS loop - 600km - in one day on step-thrus.
Link removed

2. Parts are much cheaper here, and every town has one or more repair shops. Breakdowns between towns are easily taken care of with a little cash and a ride to the nearest town in the next pickup truck to pass by.

3. If you are renting the scooters, I suggest that you don't tell them about the high milage you intend to put on them.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."