Temporary import KTM 990 Adventure Dakar

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
268377=3488-ktm-990-adventure-da_460x0w.jpg

Hi

I know this subject has been broached so many times but basically before I order the bike next week I would just like to see what response I receive to actually see how stupid I am,or it may work?

I have two Nationalities both UK and NZ, the NZ gives me the ability to travel and work in Australia where I will be heading to work and live in approx 3 years time, morefor the education of my two Thai boys.

I was looking to buy a KTM Adventure Dakar Edition here in Thailand, but at 1200000 baht crazy prices and then would struggle to take to Auz from here. The same bike in UK I can buy 9500 quid OTR registered in my name, or approx 460000 baht, as my next destination will be Australia this will be an ideal bike for touring that country.

So my question is how long can I keep the UK registered bike in Thailand on Temporary import papers? Do you think I can manage 3 years, I live in Mukdahan and Laos is basically 1.5 km away so no problem to leave just put the bike in the pickup and cross the bridge or travel 180km downstream to Ubon and cross the landborder there?

I read I would need a tourist visa if the bike flew into BKK but not if it came by sea, again no problem as the Thai Embassy in Savannakhet will issue one in a couple of hours.

So I was wondering who has had bikes here on the temporary import paper and for what length of time?

Jul 9, 2011
I know it's late on the reply.

I have a UK Plated GD Dakar in Asia at the moment.
I got a full VISA before arriving by plane into BKK ariport. 60days passport, and the TIP paperwork was filled in for 60days. I extended to 90 days (max for visa) and they Extended the bike also (free) but had to write a reason why, 'I like your country and want to see more please'. I have then moved onto Cambodia who say as long as you VISA is valid you can import on your Carnet Du Passage. -- One month Visa One Month Entry,

LAOS also say 1 month visa, 1 month Carnet DU Passage. Which makes life a little difficult.

** The Catch ** I Cannot find out how many times you can Import the mortorbike into Thailand each year. -- Nepal is 180days for each Carnet. India is 180 days a year apparently. --- Thailand is Computerized so unless you can find out the rules, you won't know until it's too late.

** The GOOD News. ** Cambodia issue 1 year work visas (multiple entry) and you can keep the bike here for the duration of your visa. so to get the time limit's up, find somewhere to store the bike here for a few months at a time and use that to extend the time imports. The one year visa apparently is around $300 but then you can go back and forward as much as you like.. and the bike can stay all the time.. I've just met a Austrian guy, who crossed back into Thailand after 5 months on his carnet in Cambodia.. no problems and will be back again for a while.

Hope it helps ...

Fatlad

Nov 27, 2010
Andrew K-Fox;269649 wrote: I know it's late on the reply.

I have a UK Plated GD Dakar in Asia at the moment.
I got a full VISA before arriving by plane into BKK ariport. 60days passport, and the TIP paperwork was filled in for 60days. I extended to 90 days (max for visa) and they Extended the bike also (free) but had to write a reason why, 'I like your country and want to see more please'. I have then moved onto Cambodia who say as long as you VISA is valid you can import on your Carnet Du Passage. -- One month Visa One Month Entry,

LAOS also say 1 month visa, 1 month Carnet DU Passage. Which makes life a little difficult.

** The Catch ** I Cannot find out how many times you can Import the mortorbike into Thailand each year. -- Nepal is 180days for each Carnet. India is 180 days a year apparently. --- Thailand is Computerized so unless you can find out the rules, you won't know until it's too late.

** The GOOD News. ** Cambodia issue 1 year work visas (multiple entry) and you can keep the bike here for the duration of your visa. so to get the time limit's up, find somewhere to store the bike here for a few months at a time and use that to extend the time imports. The one year visa apparently is around $300 but then you can go back and forward as much as you like.. and the bike can stay all the time.. I've just met a Austrian guy, who crossed back into Thailand after 5 months on his carnet in Cambodia.. no problems and will be back again for a while.

Hope it helps ...

Hi
I was under the impression that the Carnet only lasted for a 12 month period and then the bike must return home to the country where the Carnet was issued???
As you would have to take some sort of insurance or bond out to be issued with the Carnet in the first place.
Actually decided to buy the new Super Tenere in Australia as soon as i transfere my Kiwi licence over in August, will be staying there untill early December then was going to fly the bike here for a 6 month period, having spoken to Customs here in Mukdahan it seems no problem and can be actually kept here for upto 6 months as a temp import.

Jul 9, 2011
The Carnet is issued and lasts for 12 months. Paul from the RAC in the uk will explain for you the rules really well. I have been using carnets for the past 3.5 years, and the easiest thing to do is to organize an overlap of a couple of weeks and in that period change countries. so that you expired carnet is completed and can bet sent back to the issuing authority. And then you new caret can be stamped in to the new country.

The customs bond that i have is through LLoyds TSB in the uk and is just a bank account with the amount agreed with the RAC Issuing authrority according to the value of the bike & the maximum customs duty that your carnet is valid for. (e.g. £100 value of bike, 800% egypt(the worst normally 100%,200%) = £800 in the bank). A nice document is written and kept and associated with the RAC in england. and each year i pay less than £40 to roll it over for another year, and my next years carnet is issued accordingly.

Once you have it all set up with the Bonded Bank Account & The Carnet People, It is actually as simple as buying an expensive book, and returning after a year. I have been completely satisfied with the setup i have managed.

Value of the bike.... My Brand new BMW '07 model has NEVER been serviced by a UK Dealer, (even missed it's 600 mile run-in).. and has lived on dirt roads ever since and been around a lot, so from year 0 it was worth nowhere near the value of the bike (Excluding Tax & On the road costs).

And it is defiantly not the price that you paid at the garage with all those fancy bits you put on extra. (Extra fuel tanks, uprated suspension, lights etc.) Think more of the value once you've crashed it and snapped all those bits off.

It will be 4 years on the road 9/9/2011 so i'm up for my 4th carnet soon.

I hope i've got most of that right (i'm sure a few people will correct me but that's fine)

Jul 9, 2011
Search on google for "bike valuation carnet " and you will find plenty of information on working out the value of the bike. As i said, " Think more of the value once you've crashed it and snapped all those bits off." . If you don't have the spare cash to put away, there are insurance companies who will do the bonds etc to.

Personally I think if you are traveling multiple years, a band bond will work out a lot cheaper and less hasltle (lloyds even paid ok interest on my money for the first year ('07) before the interest rates dropped)