The (Other) New Year Rides

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
HMONG NEW YEAR
Starts Dec 22 & should run for up to a week in the real traditional villages, otherwise about 4 days, which would take it from Dec 22 - 26.
I plan to be in & around the Chiang Khong area to join the Hmong for this fantastic spectacle, drink the odd drop of corn moonshine whisky & get some great snaps of the girls & guys in full costume.
If you're interested, pls leave a message here.

LISU NEW YEAR
Coincides with Chinese New Year, & this should be 22 Jan 2004 (a month after Hmong New year Dec 22.)
Not sure where I will be for this one, either Wawi / Pang Ma Pa / Phrao area.
But if you interested in checking this one out, leave message here too.
Should be awesome. I rate the Lisu one as slightly more spectacular than the Hmong one. And probably on account of the beauty of the young Lisu girls.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

mja34

Apr 24, 2003
hi david,hows things,looks like i will be back in time for the lisu new year,please keep me posted. marcus in a wet and foggy london.
LISU NEW YEAR
Coincides with Chinese New Year, & this should be 22 Jan 2004 (a month after Hmong New year Dec 22.)
Not sure where I will be for this one, either Wawi / Pang Ma Pa / Phrao area.
But if you interested in checking this one out, leave message here too.
Should be awesome. I rate the Lisu one as slightly more spectacular than the Hmong one. And probably on account of the beauty of the young Lisu girls.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

marcus ackerman

jake

Feb 23, 2003
CM - BKK - Koh Chiang - P.P (Cambodia) - CM
'again' this xmas the trip will be a lot slower as I'll be going the Harley and with pillion!

Set off on the 18th Dec - returning 4th Jan.

Jake

To The Thai & Ital Tarmac Company in Hang Dong - Splash it all over and lay it on think and heavy, chaps!

john

Oct 6, 2003
Hi David, I'd like to join you on your Hmong New Year Trip. I plan to get out of here next week with a few stops on the way. I picked up the 96 African Twin from Peter at Siam Super Bike. John

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
HMONG NEW YEAR
The tentative plan right now is leave Chiang Mai Dec 21 for Chiang Khong & return to Chiang Mai Dec 24.
Spend the nights of 21 & 22 in Chiang Khong, with the 23rd open for either Chiang Khong or Chiang Kham. If things dont go so great in Chiang Khong on the 22nd, then the option is to take route 1155, with heaps of Hmong villages en route, down to Chiang Kham & spend the night there.
Route 1155 is one of my fave "old" roads, - narrow, very winding & steep thru the mountains, with plenty of good hill tribe villages.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

phuah

Feb 7, 2003
Hi David:
From route 1155, there is another loop that go to Phu Chi Fa. Do you know what is the condition of the road?

Understand from some bikers that that road is very bad quite some times back, do not know what is the condition now.

Thinking of going there if road condition has improved.

Rgds..phuah

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Phuah
Yes there is a new asphalt short cut to Phu Chi Fah from off route 1155 & I think that it should be / is good. But I dont know anyone who has actually done it on a bike. Most riders do the full route 1093 run along the Lao border, from start to finish. Its just a bit bumpy at the Pha Tang end going down to route 1155. Check out my last report on it at
Link removed
When and if you do it, it would be good to see a report, so that we all know.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

phuah

Feb 7, 2003
Hi David:
We will start off from Singapore on 26th Dec.
This will be the places that we will be going:

Singapore-Hatyai-Hua Hin-Khao Yai NP-Nong Khai-Loei-Nan
-Chiang Rai-Mae Salong-Chiang Mai-Mae Hong Son-Sukothai
-Ayutthaya-Chumphon-Hatyai-Singapore.

Plan to complete the loop with 23 days.

Where to look out for you when we are in Chiang Mai? Based on the plan,will be in Chiang Mai around 5th-7th jan 2004.

Rgds..phuah

Dec 13, 2003
Peter Reid (Siam Superbike) is delivering a new to me Duck 900 SS tomorrow and I am itching for a ride. The Hmong New Year one sounds great if the new wife will let me away from my manly duties for a few days.

How about the roads? this bike looks on the harsh side of firm in the comfort department and I just hate dirt roads.

sri

Dec 18, 2003
David...hope we see you up our way. Lisu New Year does indeed begin on 22/1 this year, and the celebrations will continue on for a week or so after that. The all night Lisu dance parties will sort of alternate between villages, since there are quite a few Lisu villages with a short walk of Soppong (Pangmapha). We are trying to get more details as we can find them and set up a page at our website, but until then, if anyone is interested, we will try to post some updates in the Announcement section of our forum:

Link removed

We'll save you a comfy bed and a cold Black Tiger beer if you like!

Oh, sorry for the new user id...just coudn't remember the old one password....

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
THE PLAN:
Breakfast at the Kafe 10.30 am Sunday 21st December.
Read the papers & wind each other up.
Depart Chiang Mai by 11.30 am.
Leisurely ride to Chiang Khong via Chiang Rai & Chiang Saen.
Routes 118 – 1 – 1016 – 1129.
Coffee break at Charin Resort & Chiang Saen.
Arrive Ch Khong mid-late afternoon.
Play it as it comes, for the next 2-3 days, but it WILL be FUN.

Note for Robert Straghan.
No dirt, apart from “about 6 kms from Chiang Khong,” to the main Hmong village, but you can hitch a ride on the back of an Africa Twin 50 or BeeEm GS1150 for that distance no trouble – just cost you a couple of beers after the event. Please come! (You don’t need a leave pass, just put your foot down – who’s calling the shots?)

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Dec 13, 2003
Still waiting for the bike to arrive as Peter has been sick, then hurt his back at the track. it is to arrive boxing day so it will be the next ride for me.

No pass needed.

Ride it like you stole it!!
Robert

john

Oct 6, 2003
THE TRIP Sunday 21st
David, Philippe and I met up at the "Kafe" for breakfast. I think we got away around noon. It was a nice clear, cool day for riding, but there was a short sprinkle of rain early in the morning. Traffic was a bit heavy as we departed Chiang Mai northbound on Route 118. Of course our Fearless Leader was setting a quick pace, with myself in the middle and Philippe, with all his worldly possesions, bring up the rear. He's moving house, you know.
We stopped at Charin Garden Resort for coffee and some of their delicious pies. They are a must! Connecting to Route 1 we passed thru Chiang Rai. Be careful of the "oil slick" intersections at the stop lights in Chiang Rai. Continueing up Route 1 we connected with Route 1016 and proceeded into Chiang Saen for a drink break, at the riverside. Many Chinese cargo vessels there. Leaving Chiang Saen on route 1129 we arrived in Chiang Khong a bit behing schedule and missed the sunset. Lots of guest houses here. David and I stayed at Baan Tam-Mi-La and Philippe returned to his old stand by Baan Fai.
Following a relively quite night we ventured out on Monday to one of the many Hmong villages nearby. This one is the home of Khun "A". Hmong people are very friendly. We ventured around a bit and learned or the New Year Celibration schedule. Returning later in the afternoon, we were lucky enough to observe ritual chanting removing the old year's spirts and welcoming in the New Year's spirits, at Khun "A"'s home. They invited us, to share with them, some of their sacrificied chicken with rice. I asked Khun "A"'s father about the many sacks stacked up against their wall. What was in these? It was about a 2 year supply of mountain rice.
The following 2 days were spent on short trips around Chiang Khong for photo ops and returns to the above Hmong village. They had many dance performances by young Hmong girls dressed up in Traditional Hmong costumes. Also some electric music, by some of the local musicians, that also hold court at night at the local disco.
Chiang Khong is a ralaxing place to visit and it is also a border crossing to Laos. Before I forget, if you like Mexican food, be sure to have dinner at the Bamboo guest house. They have the best Mexican food I have had in Thailand.
David took off for Chiang Mai on Wednesday and I headed for Mae Sai on Thursday. Last I heard Pilippe was still resided in Chaing Khong. As recommended by Phillipe I took Route 1020 at Huau Yen and traveled northwest along the Mekhong river. It's a good, quiet route with many photo ops of the river. I connnected up again to Route 1129 and continued thru Chiang Saen via the "Golden triangle" to Mae Sai.
After a quick visa run to Tachilek, Burma I headed south on Route 1 and took a right onto Route 1130. This road quickly heads up into the mountains and the vista's are stunning. This road winds its way up the ridges so you have views on both the right and the left. It is sometimes hard to concentrate on the winding road. Where route 1130 comes to a "Y" on top of a mountain I turned right, (by mistake) and continued UP the ridges as they get narrower and narrower. I ended up at an Army check point and when the soldier asked me where I was going I said "Fang". After some looking at the map he pointed out that I was near Mae Mo and that was the end of the road for me. I returned to the "Y" at the top of the mountain and continued on Route 1234. Again this is a road along a mountain ridge with villages scattered along the way. I took a Tea break at Mae Sa Long and then continued down the road and connnected up with Route 1089 and also leaving the mountains. The road straightens up here and it is time to open it up a bit. I had planned on stopping at Fang but instead headed down Route 107 to Chaing Mai. It was a good trip all and all. John

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
LISU NEW YEAR- THE PLAN
Breakfast at the Kafe 10.30 am Wed 21st January 2004.
Read the papers & wind each other up. Depart Chiang Mai by 11.30 am.
Leisurely ride to Soppong. Routes 107 & 1095.
Coffee breaks at Mae Sae & Pai.
Arrive Soppong mid-late afternoon.
Stay at Burt & Joy's Soppong River Inn & / or Phen's Little Eden.
Hang out in Soppong for 2 nights & enjoy the Lisu new year festivities, then either head home for Cnx or complete the MHS loop with a night in MHS.
No doubt it will be good fun, & somewhat entertaining with the right bunch of guys.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
I made reservations at the Soppong River Inn a few days ago. They only have a couple spots left so if anyone wants a guaranteed bed you should probably drop them an email and make a reservattion. They seem very nice and accomodating. Looks like a great place to stay. Also after Soppong I may continue around to the Mae Hong Song area for a few days.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Silverhawk
Ive booked the Rice Hut
The Rice Hut
for the 21st & 22nd.
What have you got booked?
Anyone else had better hurry or it might be the Lahu Lounge...
Link removed
If you dont fancy the Lahu Lounge & Burt's got nothing else, then check out Phen's Little Eden
Little Eden Guesthouse : Home

Burt's got plenty of Gin in stock, so should be a good time for all.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
David,
I am in one of the "Bamboo Rooms". They all look pretty good from the photos. Of course you have been there before. Talked to BobS a few minutes ago and he may also be going.....GIN? Finally someone is stocking my drink of choice.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

sri

Dec 18, 2003
I suppose we had better lay in extra gin provisions since there is none for sale in Soppong!

A word of warning: the police have been doing helmet checks for the last two days in front of the police box at the Soppong market. The "fine" is reportedly 100 or 200 baht. First time we have seen that up here, but they are enforcing helmets all over Mae Hong Son town as well.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
RIDERS CONFIRMED for Lisu New Year
Dave E, Silverhawk
David Unkovich
Marcus
Joe Pattaya?
BobS?

Joe & BobS pls advise asap, to confirm a room in Soppong. Remember it is the start of Chinese new year.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

john

Oct 6, 2003
Hi David,Yes I'm in on the Lisu New Year trip. I called the River Inn last week to book a room and they told me they were full. So I called Little Eden and booked a room there. If you can get me a room at the River Inn that would be better as I am not sure the person I talked to really reserved me a room at Little Eden. I plan to be in Chiang Mai on the 19th JOE/john

Jun 23, 2003
Hi All. I'm flying into your part of the world this afternoon, and I'd like to throw down my name as a "definite maybe." I don't have any sort of reservation for a place to stay and still need to acquire some transportation, but the latter should be covered.

Have Scotch. Will travel.

sri

Dec 18, 2003
Just to let you know that we are indeed full up (Soppong River Inn). We spoke with Phen at Little Eden Guesthouse and she says she does not have any reservations at all for those nights, so there would be plenty of room there. John: looks like they don't have a booking for you, so you might want to phone them again.

Just drop me an email if we can help with anything.

Cheers and see you over Lisu New Year...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ACCOMMODATION BOOKINGS
Here is the situation at the moment.
If this is not right for you please advise asap.

JAN 21
Soppong River Inn = 3 rooms. Dave Early. David Unkovich. Bob Sensale.
Little Eden = 2 (or 4 rooms). Marcus Ackermann. Joe Nash. Unconfirmed Andy Turkish & Robert Heikel.

JAN 22
Soppong River Inn = 2 rooms. Dave Early & David Unkovich.
Little Eden = 2 (or 4) rooms. Marcus Ackermann. Joe Nash. Unconfirmed Andy Turkish & Robert Heikel.

JAN 23 MAE HONG SON PIYA GHOUSE
4 rooms. David Unkovich. Dave Early. Marcus Ackermann. Joe Nash.
Unconfirmed Andy Turkish & Robert Heikel.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

sri

Dec 18, 2003
Slight change...we had a cancellation today and now the Lahu Lounge is available if anyone wants it. Fairly spartan, but cheap and at least the hot water shower is good! Here's the link in case anyone is interested:

Link removed

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
1st AMENDMENT ACCOMMODATION BOOKINGS

JAN 21
Little Eden = 2 (or 4 rooms). Marcus Ackermann. Joe Nash. Unconfirmed Andy Turkish & Robert Heikel.

JAN 22
Little Eden = 2 (or 4) rooms. Marcus Ackermann. Joe Nash. Unconfirmed Andy Turkish & Robert Heikel.

JAN 23 MAE HONG SON PIYA GHOUSE
4 rooms. David Unkovich. Dave Early. Marcus Ackermann. Joe Nash.
Unconfirmed Andy Turkish & Robert Heikel.

Davidfl
Keep the power on