The TJ - John Hamilton Memorial Ride - The Mae Hong Son Loop

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Seeing the riders in the North (& elsewhere) did not get to see TJ before he went, it's been suggested we have a memorial ride of the MHS Loop in honor of John.
The proposed time is the weekend of 13-14 December.

We have a few good mates of TJ's from Oz who want to come, so they need a bit of advance notice to get organised.

What's the feed back?
Good idea?
Good date?
One or two nights?

I prefer 2 nights - 1 in Pai & 1 in MHS. Or two nights in MHS? I will need time to recover from a huge hangover in honour of TJ.

With a night in Pai, it might be possible to set up a simple ceremony in honour of John, at a temple where the happy go lucky girlfriend singer's father is a monk. Might be a nice touch for the run & TJ.

Check out the poll with the date options.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Sorry David, for me it would be any time between 25th Dec and 5th January. Earlier on I can't get away from work as yearend inventory has to be done during exactly your proposed time. Will follow your postings anyway; if something changes I might be in it.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Not many takers or feed back here....
The guys from down south & Oz, need to know so they can get locked in -
flights, hotels & bikes booked.

Simon & Co any idea how many guys from Oz & down south who want to come?
It might be an idea to make some hotel bookings in Pai & MHS if that's when & what we are doing.
Give me some numbers & I will make some provisional bookings, to be confirmed 1 week before. Remember its high season.

Mar 21, 2007
Davidfl wrote: Not many takers or feed back here....
The guys from down south & Oz, need to know so they can get locked in -
flights, hotels & bikes booked.

Simon & Co any idea how many guys from Oz & down south who want to come?
It might be an idea to make some hotel bookings in Pai & MHS if that's when & what we are doing.
Give me some numbers & I will make some provisional bookings, to be confirmed 1 week before. Remember its high season.
Hi David,
Pretty piss poor effort from the CNX crowd....Come on guys...if you're gonna come along just post a vote so we have some idea of numbers...would have thought we'd get a few more than 4 people..
I'll confirm Phuket and down south numbers.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Sorry guys, I can't amke it as I am flying out to the UK for my Christmas visit on 13/12. I am honestly gutted to be missing it but will definitely make the annual trips which I hope will occur every anniversary of our mate's passing.

Cheers & apologies again,

Pikey.

Mar 21, 2007
ChiangMai guys.
Big & Tall injured
Honda Honky in Africa
Ian Bungy on Holidays at this moment probably hasn't voted
Pikey out of the country
Marcus injured at this time
Bungy's in....you gonna make it Mark ? How about Dave Early ?

dad

Jan 21, 2008
I VOTED 1 THIS MAKES 6 VOTES.. I AM STARTING TO REALISE THAT C.M. IS THE HEADQUARTERS OF MASTERBATION & PARKING AREA OF MOTORCYCLES.

BEING THE ONLY MOTORCYCLE NORTH OF PATTIA TO MAKE THE LAST TROPICAL JOHN JOURNEY AT PHUKET I CAN SPEAK WITH SOME AUTHORTY.

ONE MEMBER TOLD ME PHUKET WAS TOO FAR & WAS STILL RAINING DOWN SOUTH. OF CAUSE IT IS STILL RAINING DOWN SOUTH. NOK & I ENJOYED 5-6 HRS ON THE WHOLE TRIP.. AND WILL STILL BE TOO FAR & WET NEXT YEAR TOO..

CUM ON BOYS HANDS OFF PEE WEE & GET INVOLVED..

DAD...

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi guys,
Hi David,

For my part, I can't commit for december, I'm waiting for a last-minute phone call from Europe for some affairs, and in a hurry I will have to go to over there for days or weeks, I actually don't know...

IMHO, with humility and no offense, what do you think if this TJ's loop should be postponed for end of january or beginning of february? Maybe something like a two months delay would be appreciated by many of the GT Rider members, now absent or going to be on commitment for any reason in december, and for many to better plan...
I'm not speaking for me: I'm only a little piece of the clan, here! :wink:

Just my 2 satangs idea...
Cheers,
Gobs

Jun 5, 2008
Hi Guys

Count me in.
Any time is ok,I voted for the 3 days 19th Dec.
Am willing and able any time.
Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet T.J
Sounds like he was a great guy.
DAD are you coming?

dad

Jan 21, 2008
HI ALL I MADE A BIG ERROR IN STATING NO M/C RIDERS NORTH OF PATTIA ATTENDED JOHN,S CHEMATION. THE CORRECT AREA IS NORTH OF KO SUMAI..

SORRY NOEL SIMON TONY & ALL YOU GIRLS & LADS. WHO ATTENDED...

DAD..

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Bad timing for me as well. G/f is arriving from overseas on the 5th for a couple of weeks and we'll be in Laos. Small chance for the 20th Dec though...

Dec 9, 2007
Any dates are fine with me. Spent some time with John on the first charity ride and again on the subsequent one. What a shame that such a nice geezer has had to move on.

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
I've made my secret ballot and await results. It's in the dead of busy time for me and any trip is fine but I need to know dates asap

Dec 1, 2006
David, I salute you for this brilliant idea!

Man, how I would love to join your memorial ride, but I truly can't! :(
Will do the loop for a week from 30NOV, but work is so busy around this time of year that i can just barely squeeze this last week of leave in.
David, may I know what temple you're talking about? The missus and I would like to stop by there when we hit Pai.

Guys and gals, I really hope for you that the ride materializes. Have a safe trip and enjoy some good old comraderie!

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
No chance for us, I'm afraid. That's the first weekend of the xmas holiday and we go to the UK to see Helen's mum. She has a brain tumour, same as TJ...

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ok Lads, let's lock it in.

10 replies. Most people went for the 1st weekend date Dec 12-13-14
4 preferred 2 nights 3 days
3 preferred 1 night 2 days

So lets do 2 nights 3 days
1st night in Pai
2nd night in MHS

THE OPTION
Those who only want 1 night can return to Cnx from Pai 130 kms away.
Those who are in for the 2nd night can carry on hungover over 3 lots of mountains to MHS 106 kms way.

THE PLAN
Mid-late morning start from Cnx - depart from the X-Centre.
Arrive in Pai before 2pm. Settle in, eat drink & make speeches for TJ. End up at the Bebop / Phu Pai or the Bamboo by the bridge in the fog until dawn.
Struggle on to MHS, happy hour at the Sunflower by the lake, saunter on up the hill for a group foot massage at the Baan Thai with more TJ eulogies, then stroll down to the Crossroads for a meal & numerous night caps / toasts for TJ.
Next day late start & slowish ride back to Cnx via Khun Yuam - Mae Chaem - Doi Inthanon.
Celebrate again in Cnx at the Kafe after the ride.

421599997_njrKS-M.jpg

Anyone else?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
E3L0 wrote: No chance for us, I'm afraid. That's the first weekend of the xmas holiday and we go to the UK to see Helen's mum. She has a brain tumour, same as TJ...
E3L0
Sorry to hear the news about Helen's Mum. Good luck. We'll be thinking of you guys too then.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ACCOMMODATION BOOKINGS

1. FRIDAY DEC 12 Pai: my regular place, the Brookview is fully booked on the 12th.

2. SATURDAY DECEMBER 13 Mae Hong Son: same same, my regular place the Piya Ghouse is full. So I have booked 6 rooms around the corner at the Palm House. 600 baht a night.

Before I book / source anymore rooms I need 100% confirmation of riders going. It's high season & going to be tough to get 11 rooms, unless you want to be staying in 1,000 baht+ a night places (not necessary for me, & TJ certainly would not approve.)

I will source something in Pai for the night & book 6 rooms to start off with. Stay tuned.