Three weeks on bike in Thailand.

Perre616

Nov 22, 2021
Hello.
New to this forum but with quite a lot riding experience in Europe.
I am arriving to Phuket 30/1 to do the seven day mandatory sand box stay.
After that, I will travel to Wichian to my mother in law to meet the bike my wife bought when she visited Thai a few months back.
After that I "plan" to ride in Thailand for maybe three weeks.
I plan to make as little plan as possible, try to just see what happens, but I will go to chaiyaphum area to look at some land we bought there, or the wife did when I was in Sweden..
So I would be grateful for ideas on what to do, where to go, what to see and what not to do, where not to go.
The wife and I did the Mae Hong son loop a few years back on rented bikes, but I guess I will go to that area again because of the roads in the mountain.
I am going to need to buy some riding gear, helmet etc. and I think that would be easier to to in Phuket during the seven day stay there rather then bringing from Sweden.
Problem is, I bought some riding shoes in Chiang Mai, shoes from a well known brand and pretty expensive.
After 5 km. one of the shoes just fell apart..
So I am a little bit worried to buy a helmet in Thailand.
Can any one recommend a reliable store in Phuket that sell biking gear?

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Jul 16, 2019
Hi, Perre616.
It's good to see people coming in to Thailand, and even better that you intend to ride. There are plenty of excellent helmets in Thailand, but take the time for fitting.
I can't help you with shops in Phuket, but I'm sure there are others on the forum who can.

I hope you have a great time.
Cheers, Eoin

Reactions: Perre616

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
For some trip planning in the North

A general outline of where to go & the best routes to follow, with a list of helpful trip reports.

Reactions: Slovenian

Perre616

Nov 22, 2021
For some trip planning in the North

A general outline of where to go & the best routes to follow, with a list of helpful trip reports.
Thank you! That will be a useful sorce for information!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
For a helmet, I've been using an Oneal Sierra II, sourced in Chiang Mai.

dsc_0508-jpg-jpg.128045

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Just bring your boots to any shoe repair shop, and they will re glue it.
The glue used in the 'west' don't last in tropical areas.
( I know track riders keeping their valuable riding gear in the fridge.) :p

Perre616

Nov 22, 2021
Just bring your boots to any shoe repair shop, and they will re glue it.
The glue used in the 'west' don't last in tropical areas.
( I know track riders keeping their valuable riding gear in the fridge.) :p
Thank you for that tip! I brought the shoes back to Sweden and was planning to have them repeared here, but as I understand, you say it´s better to do that in Thai?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Repair your boots here

This thread maybe a help to you also

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Perre616

Nov 22, 2021
Repair your boots here

This thread maybe a help to you also
Thanks for the input, but I will spend 7 days in Phuket. After that I will go to Petchabun/wichian to meet the bike.
That´s rather a long way from Chiang Mai.

Markus Etter

Sep 15, 2020
Hello.
New to this forum but with quite a lot riding experience in Europe.
I am arriving to Phuket 30/1 to do the seven day mandatory sand box stay.
After that, I will travel to Wichian to my mother in law to meet the bike my wife bought when she visited Thai a few months back.
After that I "plan" to ride in Thailand for maybe three weeks.
I plan to make as little plan as possible, try to just see what happens, but I will go to chaiyaphum area to look at some land we bought there, or the wife did when I was in Sweden..
So I would be grateful for ideas on what to do, where to go, what to see and what not to do, where not to go.
The wife and I did the Mae Hong son loop a few years back on rented bikes, but I guess I will go to that area again because of the roads in the mountain.
I am going to need to buy some riding gear, helmet etc. and I think that would be easier to to in Phuket during the seven day stay there rather then bringing from Sweden.
Problem is, I bought some riding shoes in Chiang Mai, shoes from a well known brand and pretty expensive.
After 5 km. one of the shoes just fell apart..
So I am a little bit worried to buy a helmet in Thailand.
Can any one recommend a reliable store in Phuket that sell biking gear?
Hi
There is one shop in Phuket where you can buy some riding gear. Specially helmets they have a lot.
Other then that there is nothing much here for riding gear wich is a shame.
Here is a link to the shop where you can see a map for the location. Hope that helps. If you have any questions I live in Phuket
Markus

Perre616

Nov 22, 2021
Hi
There is one shop in Phuket where you can buy some riding gear. Specially helmets they have a lot.
Other then that there is nothing much here for riding gear wich is a shame.
Here is a link to the shop where you can see a map for the location. Hope that helps. If you have any questions I live in Phuket
Markus

Thank you! I will for sure check out that shop in Phuket!

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Perre616

Nov 22, 2021
C9D1F0B8-B980-4340-90F6-311885B384D8.jpeg

Finally. After seven days sandbox in Phuket doing 500km on a rented 150cc scooter, I arrived on monday in Phetchabun. Got to meet my new to me bike. Was some things to sort out..
But now the prep is finished and we done a short test-ride!
Tomorrow I will head out, first to Chayapum, then north to the Laos border. Plan to follow the border east for a few days.