Boots - Custom Made

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Over the decades I've tried multiple boots from full on MX type boots, to Formas, to custom made.
And the Custom made win out for me every time.
The full on MX Boots & riding boots for the cooler climates maybe great in the wet & cold season, but don't do it for me in the heat, where you foot ends up sitting in a puddle of sweat. Pass.
I have a pair of ankle length Forma boots that have performed surprisingly well over a period of time, about 5 years from memory, with the soles still in tact. Only the glue on the Velcro strap has failed & been re-glued. But my feet do sweat in them in the hot season & they're not great in the wet, so more a cool dry season boot. I do have an issue with them now though & they seem to be too tight a fit. With increasing age my feet have swollen up or gotten fatter? Not a surprise some of you would say.

1635078805499.png

Forma boots from 2016-2017 I think.

1635078865241.png

Forma soles still in tact

So I picked up my new boots from Tamnan Gob in Chiang Rai a couple of weeks ago.

The quality of materials is excellent – tough cowhide & a nice beefy sole to walk on. The price 3500 baht.
1635076448008.png

The boots after a few hrs riding in the wet.

1635076603793.png

A decent tough sole, for hiking perhaps.

How do they compare to my Chiang Mai boots from
Pattana Sin 18/1 Ratchiangsaen Road, Southside of the moat, (slightly) diagonally opposite - west - of Pratu Chiang Mai. Tel: 053271053.

New CR boots on the left. Old CM boots on the right
1635080459388.png

1635077614228.png

The new CR ones are obviously tougher material, with the Cnx boots being pig skin.
1635078190773.png

For fit, well the Cnx ones are superior, fit like a glove from day 1, whereas the Chiang Rai boots are not quite there yet & have been modified once already.
The issue being that Mr Gob in Chiang Rai did not want to measure my feet up properly, not necessary, he claimed. Just a single foot length measurement & one standard size fits all. I disputed this, but no no, this is how you do it. I then explained how my foot was measured in multiple places by the Chiang Mai guy & this was how it should be done. That didn’t go down well as to be expected. So the boots don’t fit anywhere near as well as the Cnx boots with 100,000 kms on them; but perhaps it is the kms that has worn them in?

The cow hide leather on the new boots is a lot more water resistant than the pig skin, but may be a lot hotter in the heat.

Time will tell, modification # 2 on the new boots will be coming up after the MHS Memorial ride.

So why do I like em?
Just plain leather works well for me. Your feet do not sweat & end up in a stinking puddle in your boot.
Sure you get wet when it rains, but they dry out quick enough in the tropics.
Custom made, they should fit like a glove, as high or low as you want them; plus you can pick whatever soles you want.

The soles on my 100,000 kms boots.
1635085016710.png

Worn right down, but as comfy as hell to walk in.
A pair of soles cost maybe 500 baht fitted, & you can change them over if you don't like the ones you have, or just need new ones.
I would use the little old guy, the real cobbler in Chiang Mai for this. He had a bigger sole selection than Mr Gob in Chiang Rai.

The #1 wholesale leather & sole distributor in Chiang Mai is Charoen Silp

Last edited:

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
This Guy in CR has fixed several pairs of boots for me. I like the no nonsense Stitched Sole. It's a must here. The climate here Kills plastics and glue. Far too much plastic on new boots these days. It's great for protection 'Offroad' I guess. I was looking for all leather boots recently but then bought some SIDI adventure Boots in a sale. Far too much plastic and not very comfy to walk in and the constant squeek squeek is annoying. Settled on some more Forma Adventure boots. But again too much plastic .

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
This Guy in CR has fixed several pairs of boots for me. I like the no nonsense Stitched Sole. It's a must here. The climate here Kills plastics and glue. Far too much plastic on new boots these days. It's great for protection 'Offroad' I guess. I was looking for all leather boots recently but then bought some SIDI adventure Boots in a sale. Far too much plastic and not very comfy to walk in and the constant squeek squeek is annoying. Settled on some more Forma Adventure boots. But again too much plastic .

Yep he fixed my old 100,00 kms Cnx boots too. Did an excellent job.
Just a shame he refuses to measure up properly & uses a standard cut.
The materials are excellent, as is the price.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
I have had good luck with Alpinestars
On my second pair now, first ones I wore for 15 years.
Ventilated, good protection.
Never had a problem with the sole separating - unlike all the running shoes I have. Bought a tube of 3M Urethane adhesive to glue in windshields - that sticks them on and it don't come off.
Don't walk further than the bike to the room / hotel / 711 etc in riding boots.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A brief update.
The boots made in Chiang Rai have now been tweaked & the result is damn satisfatory.
At my suggestion & a trick I learned from the guy in Chiang Mai, place an insert inside the boot to lift your foot up & make it a tighter fit, so as to stop your foot sliding forward & crushing your toes in the boot.
Two inserts were required in the left boot & one in the right boot. 55