TJ - John Hamilton - Tributes

Mar 21, 2007
Johnno's cremation took place yesterday afternoon.
After a meal, as usual, proceedings got underway...
DSC02520.jpg

Johnno's little angel---Elle
DSC02526.jpg

The Farang mates
DSC02528.jpg

the whole group

DSC02536.jpg

The Monks doing their thing
DSC02539.jpg

DSC02543.jpg

the last farewel...and great to see everyone having a laugh...
someone had a camera upside down--you had to be there.
DSC02546.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
I never met John but spoke to him a few times on the phone .. a really nice bloke who will be sorely missed especially by his family.

RIP

Jerry

Dec 1, 2006
This tribute thread is really touching, folks! I never had the privilege to make Johnno's acquaintance, but I know he was a legend. What a crying shame that this beautiful man had to pass away so much too soon!

My deepest condolences to Elle and the entire bereaved family!

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
For TJ.

Today I went to BITEC to the Machine Tools exhibition and spent most of the day just milling around.

Aug 3, 2004
We are all a little richer for knowing John and a little poorer for his passing.

Thanks to those who sent him off well from we who would like to have been there but couldn't

This board was a constant source of enjoyment for him. He boasted to me about a year ago that he was the second biggest contributor after David. His posts were always worth reading and informative and he was careful to respect the conventions of the board. I always looked forward to his jokes – corny as they were.
I always reflect when something like this happens how important it is to make the most of what time we have and John did this.-- Redeem the day.
We would do well to emulate Johns legacy in our hearts.
I pray it’s going well John. We never did make that sailing trip, perhaps another time….
Bless you Elle.
With respect and thanks for a life well spent.
Petr

Tomo

Sep 13, 2006
TJ was among a small group of GT Riders who were kind enough to meet up with my party at the Kafe on our arrival in Chiang Mai 2 years ago

Cold beers were consumed almost as greedily as the wise words imparted by the locals to us newcomers. Most memorable though was finally meeting some of the key contributors to the forum without whom visiting Thailand would be a lesser experience (DavidFL, Pikey, Snail, Silverhawk et al).

John was of course a prolific contributor to the forum and could be relied upon to be interesting and often humourous.

Most of all though, I find John to have been a damn fine example to us predominantly armchair explorers...travelled a lot, seen a lot, done a lot and then settled down in a beautiful country of his choosing with a loving lady.

Although your life was sadly foreshortened John, it feels like you'd already cracked it!

RIP TJ.

Jan 16, 2008
Although being a Phuket resident myself, I never met TJ, but enjoyed his posts on this board.
Cancer is a bitch but hopefully he will have peace and many miles to go where is he is now.
Rest in Peace.

Dec 7, 2008
After a long hiatus from the GT Rider board I am back and shocked to see the posting about Tropical John.

Ride in Peace John.
Motorcycles were made in heaven.

Dec 5, 2006
just got back from a month away working
and found this thread
i never met john but he was very helpfull to me when i was in thailand
via e-mails
my sincere condeneces to john and family
from down under
KEV

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gents
Just received, an email from an old mate of TJ's

Hello David

I don't know if you can help me, but I have just located details of the John Hamilton Memorial Ride on your website through Google. John was a very good friend of mine for more than 20 years, we used to work together here in the UK, and he stayed at my house when ever he was over here. We usually took in a Superbike race at the same time. Up until a few months ago we had regularly kept in touch via email. We always discussed bikes and bike racing, particularly when it came to my hero, Valentino Rossi.

Like John, I was a bike enthusiast, my last bike was a Kawasaki ZZ-R600, but I now own a classic MG. John had often asked me to go out to Phuket and go for some rides around the country he loved, but it never happened. I'm gutted that I won't be able to do that now.

I had no idea he was ill, he hadn't written to me to say. I have found out via his girlfriend, Elle, who has just replied to a Xmas card I sent them.
The news was a dreadful shock. As I live in the UK, and have now missed any opportunity to pay my respects to John, I wanted to try and contact some of his closest friends in and around Phuket. I wondered if you would be able to rely this message to them, or post it to your forum for me, in the hope that someone will contact me.

Please let me know whether or not you can help.

Kind regards
ANDY ROBSON
Birmingham
UK
You can email Andy at
Andrew Robson
[email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Just noticed that me old mate TJ is still the 7th highest contributor to the board...

Bet he is happy with the Free Internet 'up top'...

:)

Cheers,
Daewoo

Mar 21, 2007
I think it would be a great thing to finally organise that memorial riding we've been trying to do.....
Perhaps on the actual day of his passing or the weekend closest to it. The anniversary is coming round and its grea to see the old bloke is not forgotten..not that thats likely to happen..I keep finding him everywhere....just updated all my contacts to iPhone and had no less than 9 references to TJ in there......he's now down to just one... :)...
Chiang Mai was his favourite part of Thailand and the Mae Hong Song loop in particular....so a couple of days to ride around with a good night in the middle sounds like a plan....perhaps Daewoo would like to shift this to a new thread ?
Hope we'll have a good turn out and enjoy a good ride with his old mates and many acquaintances....

Aug 27, 2007
I have recently emailed Elle to inform her of the memorial ride for TJ and Simon again this year and also to remind her that TJ has not been forgotten by us all. Unfortunately I can't make the ride this year.

RIP Johnno

Aug 27, 2007
Thanks Mate,
I appreciate that..and also know that both of these guys were very good friends of yours as well.
Have a great ride and stay safe.
Cheers Noel