Triumph Tiger Adventure.

Nov 4, 2010
I saw the XC 800 - a much bigger bike physically than the 800. Very comfortable for the taller rider. Counting my pennies this morning.

Also the SE special addition, they have two in stock in the grey colour as well as 3 others (white, black). If I did not commute on my bike in Bangkok I would have bought one I think.

Sep 4, 2007
2wheels;270230 wrote: Interesting comparison and conclusion here; F800GS v 800XC (4 pages)

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2011-adventuretouring-shootout-triumph-tiger-800xc-vs-bmw-f800gs-91099.html?page=1

NB XC in $USA is $11800 with ABS ie about 354,000 baht!!!
Thanks for the link to the review Ron, looks like Triumph have done a competent job in most areas of copying the BMW. As an owner of an F800GS, and very happy with it, there is no incentive to change over to the copy. In fact one thing picked up in this review, which I have not seen in the other reviews, is that the difference in fuel economy; (The Triumph uses 29% more); as fuel costs continue to rise, the considerably lower consumption of the BMW will make a difference to high mileage riders. Although the Triumph has a bigger tank, the poorer economy gives it a lower range than the BMW. Well done to Triumph though for a welcome introduction to the Thai motorcycle market.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
They now Sell a New version of the G650GS, Single Cylinder. The F650 and F800 GS Range are both Twin Cylinder! John informs Me that there is one "G" in the BMW Showroom here in CM now. That is the one I would go for if You want a Laos Tour Bike to replace Your AT Ron? Not Cheap but a good looking Bike and much improved compared to the Older Version although John also tells Me there has been some Issues with the Front Forks?

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Ron and Ian,
My bike is an 800cc.
The following clears up the situation but does not explain why BMW took the strange decision to alter the engine size in a popular model, but not change the name, so causing real confusion. Hope this is OK in the Triumph thread, but thats where it was raised, if mods wish to move to BMW, thats fine.

Produced from 2000 to 2007, the BMW F650GS is a dual-purpose motorcycle. It sold over 105,000 units during its production life.
In late 2006, the G series of offroad based motorcycles was launched using the same 652 cc engine fitted to the F650GS, although that engine is no longer manufactured by Rotax. Models include the Xcountry (Scrambler), the Xchallenge (Enduro), and the Xmoto (supermoto).

In 2008, the single cylinder F650GS was discontinued and replaced by an all-new design featuring a 798 cc, parallel twin engine. Intended as a new-generation replacement for the old bikes, the new motorcycle has retained the same F650GS model name, despite the fact that it has a larger engine.
In late 2008, BMW relaunched the original single-cylinder F650GS under the new name G650GS in the United States, South America, Greece[1] and Australia.[4][6] The new G650GS is essentially the 2007 single-cylinder F650GS brought back into production with some minor modifications and with the engine assembled by Loncin in China instead of Rotax in Austria, but still using parts manufactured by Rotax in Europe. The finished engines are shipped back to BMW in Germany where the bikes are assembled. G650GS models with the Chinese-assembled engines can be easily identified as the engines are painted black while in the earlier European-assembled engines were finished in silver. For a short period prior to discontinuation of the bike in 2007 the engines were assembled by Kymco in Taiwan.

The G650GS received some upgrades over the F650GS of 2007: the engine now produces 3 additional horsepower (now 53 hp) and received a stronger 400 watt alternator.In the United States and Australia, ABS and heated grips are now standard equipment instead of additional cost options
In 2010, at the EICMA show in Italy, BMW Motorrad announced the global availability of the G650GS with a slightly down-rated engine producing 35 kW (47 hp).
So the G650GS now available in the Chiang Mai Barcelona showroom, has the Chinese made engine, which has been downrated to 47HP to allow sales to learners, who in some countries are restricted to bikes below 50HP. They have also changed the look, of fender and lights etc to resemble its bigger F800GS brother. They have cut a few Kg from the bike, and in doing so they may have reduced the specification of some parts. The bike has been visually upgraded, but I am not sure the other changes are an upgrade. In fact in the UK the bike costs 5,000UKP, less than 300K Baht, and is cheaper than the Versys.

Nov 4, 2010
I have been chewing over the GS/Tiger 800/900 Adventure for the last two months. I need to treat myself for Xmas. Being tall is a major factor in my ponderings.

I really liked how nimble and light the ktm handles but when starting and changing gear it just sounds like a bag of spanners - I know myself and it would have driven me nuts. Of the 3 the GS really has the looks and pedigree - but my ass was hurting after just 30 seconds. Big ass/thin seat combo did not work for me. I have fallen in love the triumph but it had to be the XC as the standard is too low. The engine is magnificent and the sound --oooooo. The only "downside" I have come up with is the width of the tank which seems very wide - as I commute in BKK and want to continue to do so easily.

So after two months of ummming and arrgghhing I headed off to Triumph (BKK) with my checkbook in my pocket on Saturday morning. Asked to see the XC and sadly was told I could not see it until the 20th when it would be "introduced". Why are things so difficult in Thailand sometimes? Maybe its me. I am wondering if its a sign ;+0. It was hard enough to come to a decision to drop 800,000 baht (incl adds) in the first place.

One would think, with Triumph entering BMWs "market sector" that BMW will have pulled out the stops on the upgrade of the GS - competition is a good thing. Hope the keep the basic look, as the new 650 GS is a bit "wimpy" looking compared the rugged beauty of the 800 GS

Jul 25, 2010
I took the Tiger 800XC for a ride today. OOOOH beautiful. What to do now????

270346=4678-IMG_0246.jpg

Nov 4, 2010
Hmmm, you guys in CM can ride it - in BKK we cant even look at it.

I did ride the 800 a couple of weeks ago though and it had the same effect on me.