Tyres - what where to get them.

Discussion in 'Technical & Motorcycle Services' started by DavidFL, Oct 23, 2007.

1. princey

princey Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to say that.
    But decided not too?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback, Dodraugen and Princey. Very limited options available for the 3.50 / 2.50 18” Interceptor rims (not surprising, with it being a road bike). Perhaps I just stick with the stock Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp’s, which are at the other (correct) end of the spectrum.

3. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    Heidenau K76 are quite ok though imo - if you want a 80/20 on/off road. I had one rear of those. Didnt last very long but thats not the most important feature of a tyre after all...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, but K76 is not available as 18”.

5. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    Avon Trailrider are made in the sizes you want. But I know nothing about availability in Thailand/Malaysia.

Avon Trailrider - Avon Tyres

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, Dodraugen, thanks. There are a few options if I use a rear on the front. There are very few 18” front tyres.

7. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    So I finally found my preferred tyre for my Crf, Dunlop 605 at the Kawasaki dealer in CM. But to my dismay they said a big and loud NO to take off the old tyre and put on the new tyre that I had bought there since I have a Honda.

So now I am wondering if there is a place in CM that can change my tyre?

8. bradmeister

bradmeister Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Dodraugen,

Let me see if I got this right..... You bought fresh Dunlop Tires at a Kawi Dealer in Chiiang Mai, and because its going on a Honda, They will not mount. balance or reinstall on the bike because its not a Kawasaki.....????? What???

I say we all boycott Kawasaki in Chiiang Mai! Who owns the dealership? Motoholic, Enterprise or Real? maybe none of the above?

Anywho, Return the Tire to them and get it from BKK and have it shipped! Thats ridiculous. Sorry to hear that news.

Honda Bigwing in Chiang Mai won't hook you up, because you bought the tire somewhere else I presume?

Good Luck.

Cheers

9. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,071 / 0 / -0
    i think cockpit near the airport would be ok.

10. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    Yes sir - you got it all correct.

Bought new tires for my Honda Crf at the main Kawasaki dealership in CM but they wouldnt mount them on my Honda since they only deal with Kawasakis.

To be precise - I asked first, before I bought the tires if they could mount the new tires, got yes for an answer, asked again and mentioned I had a Honda to be sure and then the woman at the parts dept went over and asked the guys at the service dept and came back and said no, cannot - only do Kawasakis here.
    I asked first since I have certain
    experiences from back home in Norway about the same. I ride a Yamaha back home, went to the biggest bike dealership nearby where I live which sells Hondas, Suzukis and BMWs - found a good tyre for an ok price. Can you mount it for me, on my Yamaha? NO - no work on Yamahas here!
    Same in Alaska last summer, bought tyres at a Honda dealership but they wouldnt mount the new tyres and me and my buddies and we werent even allowed to work on our bikes on their premises to change tires...sic!

Anyhow - since Im a bit in a hurry as my visa expires soon and Im heading off to Laos on my bike and I needed new tires for this upcoming trip - I still choosed to buy them tires.

I have now found a shop who supposedly can change them for me here in Lampang where Im based. So Im off to that shop later today.

But certainly not a very pleasant experience with the Kawa dealer in CM. The girls at the parts dept were helpful though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    #211 Eoin Christie, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    I think I might head towards a set of Dunlop K180’s for my Interceptor. There are very few 18” options out there that are usable, particularly when road is 90+% of the riding, but it would be nice to have something with a little more bite for wet clay an sand.
    The K180’s look to be OK on the road, and I’m not doing any fast riding, although I doubt if they will wear well.
    Next problem is to find a set. Google’s offerings so far have been less than stellar. Those who do stock, appear not to ship internationally.
    Anyone know a Dunlop retailer who I could contact?

12. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    C707812C-18D3-4509-BE28-470674D953AC. Dunlop obviously has factory that makes tires here in Thailand. My newly purchased Dunlop 605 is definetively made in Thailand.

Cant help you with a dealer but Dunlop motorbike tires Thailand has a Facebooksite where you can contact them.

Here is a posting from them a couple of days ago...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, Dodraugen - Greatly appreciated.

14. Heineken

Heineken Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    In Chiang Rai they have a promotion going on Pirelli Tyres starting yesterday, a nice discount on the Scorpion Trail 2 and the Rally STR for those interested.....................

upload_2020-6-6_20-26-18.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    That's a Fantastic Deal! Wow! Top Job!