Udon Thani to Nong Khai - In search of the Nagas...

Dec 24, 2007
Udon Thani to Nong Khai

UdonThaniBackStreets.jpg

Prelude to the Adventure

Udon Thani was ok and has some appeal to it, but the border city of Nong Khai beckoned. It was the place for almost all the farang who needed to visa run into and out of Isaan. A purpose built bridge spanned the mighty Mekhong river, known as The Friendship Bridge, this too would be worth checking out.
Finally, the elusive Naga legends of old gave tale that they caused the waters there to bubble and emit fireballs! The lure of the road was strong but my bike was totally out of action until the new tire arrived.
I had to resort to renting a bike, something I am loath to do at the best of times, it meant the chore of negotiating, passports possibly being held to ransom and the spectre of false damage-claims being raised.

Nevertheless, needs must when the devil strikes so after a few scammish tricks by the isaan dealer were dealt with I had a 100cc Honda Wave to carry my heels to the border with!

ScooterChiangMai.jpg

Setting out was the usual drill, out of the city for 7 'o clockish and on the road with some food eaten on the hoof.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth1.jpg

The heat was fairly mild for the first two hours or so, with the rainy seasons cloud still giving some cover.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth2.jpg

Had a wee tangle with this little dog w
ho took an interest in my ankles! :D

P1100390.jpg

After then it was on the road proper as Highway 2 left the city and it was nothing but rural rice fields and trees.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth3.jpg

It was just over 50 kilometers to the border city, and I took it easy, easing back into a steady 50-60 kph.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth4.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth5.jpg

The road takes on a straight and level route for the next a hundred kms or so. Brilliant if you've got a big bike for the riding, not so great for low cc bikes like the rental scooter I've got.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth6.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth7.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth7z.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth8.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth8z.jpg

Although the road was boring enough, the highway was quiet and not much traffic passed me by. Compared to the aggressive and harsh ways of Bangkok this, at least, was a welcome respite.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth9.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth10.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth10z.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth11.jpg

A gentle bend here, and a turn there and I was soon closing in on Nong Khai.

Highway2UdonThaniNorth12.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth12z.jpg

End of Part 1 (due to battery running low! :O )

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Nice one Blue Max.

Like some of the older members of the forum said:

Its not what bike you ride its getting out there and doing it.

And then sharing it with us. Thanks.

Dec 24, 2007
In Search of Nagas

Part 2

Half-way there now...

Highway2UdonThaniNorth14.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth14z.jpg

Ever wondered what a country mile looks like? Well the under picture I took I measured using the bikes odometer, at 1.6 kilometers I was just before the big blue 'Welcome to Nong Khai' sign. That's how far a mile is! :)

Highway2UdonThaniNorth15.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth15z.jpg

Here's the welcome sign at close range, I really am getting into overkill on this photo-recon thing now!

Highway2UdonThaniNorth16.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth16z.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth17.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth17z.jpg

Not far to go now...

Highway2UdonThaniNorth18.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth18z.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth19.jpg

Highway2UdonThaniNorth20.jpg

The above picture marks the turn-off for the Friendship Bridge (see roll-over), its a left hand turn with Vientenne. Now bikers, for reasons only known to the powers that be, aren't officially allowed to cross the bridge, but there are ways and means...

This trip report will be going north directly into Nong Khai though...

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth1.jpg

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth1z.jpg

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth2.jpg

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth3.jpg

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth4.jpg

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth5.jpg

Nong Khai Outskirts

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth6.jpg

Arrival at Nong Khai

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth7.jpg

I finally got to meet the elusive Naga at last! He didn't say much but he seemed glad to see me! I'll let you folks be the judge in the next picture!

Highway2NongKhaiSthHeadingNorth8Nag.jpg

This is it! Arrival at Nong Khai! Not much to do here, it's not party-central by any stretch of the imagination. Plenty of restaurants and retail shops. Quite a few sugar-daddies gone to pasture. I saw one getting a real work-out pedalling his push-bike with his Thai lady riding pillion!