What bike(s) are you actually riding?

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi friends,

Just because I recently discover the wonderful Big&Tall's KTM, I was thinking: "what all the other GT-Riders are they exactly and actually riding?".
Many times (at least for my part, and I guess for others) we know through words what bike is used, or we know some of GT-Riders bikes through meetings or wavings...
But maybe a GT-Riders "bike-review" would be interesting to better know everyone's "character" or "preference"...
Nothing here to compete: "I have a bigger than yours" or "I have a stronger than yours"... No, just to know "everyone" a bit better through biking.

For sure, some pics would be appreciated :roll:

So, GT-Riders, what bike(s) are you actually riding?
And why do you choose this (these) one (ones)?

Thanks in advance for some fellow, here, to begin...

Cheers,
Gobs

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Gobs

Well my ride of choice is this with huge "tank" as many GTRiders calling it.
As i'm big lad and i got this little fellow in just a ok price, been happy about it even it has it's bad part's (clutch) and it's darn heavy, but so far been happy
IMG_1439.jpg

2004 BMW K 1200 LT, got it when there was 15K in the dash, now it has abt 35K

Reactions: Eoin Christie
Oct 12, 2005
Love the differences in the scooters from the different posters. From Marco's tank (two more wheels and it's a Toyota eh? I would gladly put my KTM in trade for any straight tarmac section in a heartbeat) to Colins Phantom, shows the diveristy thats on the board.

Since I enjoy bikes more than a wife, figured I'd better have a few of 'em.

First aquisition was the Honda NSR150SP. Complete with Mick Doohans 500cc GP paint job. Long live the two strokes. Camping somehwere behind Mae Wan.
94618706_JUNFq-M.jpg

Next up, old reliable, the Kawasaki KLX 250 w/Pumper carb, 330cc big bore, and Hotcams cam. Dirt trim:

249603388_HT5RY-M.jpg

and motard
149256696_PZmks-M.jpg

Then its to dirt biking fun with the YZF 250F. Me and the YZF wishing I would have used that yearly membership to "Fitness Thailand" more than twice.

343023431_TZ7Jf-M.jpg

Then on to the latest "pool of my affections" My KTM 525exc with too many goodies thrown at it and having a laugh on it nowadays.

550443342_eTsMk-M.jpg

But then no matter what bikes, the old "only two days in the gym over the last six months" still rears its ugly head.
593444143_xiu6W-M.jpg

Love to see the other rides people on the board are wobbling around on, post em up.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Here's mine:

Nouvo002Medium.jpg

Yamaha Nuovo Elegance.

Pros: twist & go, good underseat storage, bugger all power to get yourself into trouble after a few Leos

Cons: Thirsty, poncey name, bugger all power to get yourself out of trouble after a few Leos.

DSCN0253.jpg

Suzuki DRz400 (+ tweaks).

Pros: Plenty of power, great suspension

Cons: Plenty of power, bloody uncomfortable seat on the road

PikeyBonnie1LR.jpg

Triumph Bonneville

Pros: great looker, torquey engine, low C of G means easy handling, comfortable, "solid" feeling.

Cons: Bloody expensive in Thailand, tyres and suspension of questionable quality.

Cheers,

Pikey.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gobs
Nice thought to start this thread.

Here's mine & me
599561985_wkX5x-S.jpg

The AT: God's gift to RTW bikers. :lol: :lol:
Solid reliable everlasting, cheap to run.
Getting old, heavy & underpowered compared to the latest adventure / dual purpose models. :( :(

Can we have a pic of you & your bike too please. :) :)

Jul 9, 2009
These are my babies. The grasstracker makes for a great around town bike though it does seem to draw a lot of attention from the wrong people due to the lack of a licence. Technically it is my wifes bike but since she rarely rides it I have taken defacto possession of it.
20090709022324_grasstracker-4.jpg

The GB 400 is in my opinion a thing of beauty, this bike is heaps of fun once you get out of town and can open it up a bit. It is a neo classic but it has never failed me even though it is a pretty low tech solution I would not trade this bike for anything.
20090406023528__mg_9841.jpg

Jul 9, 2009
Ya the grass tracker was/is for sale. Like I said it is my wifes bike and she does not ride it very much so we just figured we would put it out there and see what we could get. Not much interest so far and I don't really want to sell it anyway so nothing lost nothing gained.

The GB is a great bike. I just love this machine, I can't believe there are not more people on them. The Sr 400 seems to be the more popular machine here and I guess that is because it is more highly customizable. I can't really think of anything that needs to be done to the GB. Though I have put on new pipes but am going to need to switch back, it is deceptively loud for a 400cc. Maybe just a tad too loud now.
It is also reliable to a fault. I keep looking for things to go wrong with it so I can justify putting some money into it but so far it is absolutely bullet proof and I have not been able to find much in the way of negative feedback anywhere on the GBs.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends, Hi Gobs,

Thanks to have initiate this interesting post which reveal the "personality" of GT-Riders through their bikes...

As you might know bikes and cars are my passion, thus I cumulate it... I allways had in my life something to mechanic with, with a descent engine.

10072007001.jpg

My prefered one, a Ducati Monster S2R 1000 2006, I imported this bike myself and got the biggest headhacke you ever imagine (never again...).
Anyway, that's my prefered one, it's tuned by myself and believe that's something... Termignoni exhaust line with appropriate ECU + the Rapid Bike fuel injection map computer loadable system , full Rizoma equipment (belt covers, handbar, mirors...), 15 teeth sprocket, stainless steel clutch plate springs, Ducati Performance clutch plate, Fiamm horn, Xenon HID front light....
However, looking back, this bike is no more for me (57), the riding position is highly unconfortable, I can't be bent anymore for more than a hour long. On top, this kind of bike is not adapted to Thailand with all dangers you can imagine wild dogs and holes of more than 30 cm depth.... A toy to play with in Bira but not more. Apart from the beauty of the Beast, nothing for LOS.

CIMG0433.jpg

The "mia noi", a Suzuki 400 DRZ 2005 from Japan, bought for a very honnest price to our friends from RED BARON. A good purchase, a bit light and powerless but from stock what could you expect more, reliable the Suzi brang me everywhere in LOS without any problem. A touch of Acerbis, Renthal bar and Dunlop tires...

IMG00124-20090710-1634.jpg

The latest one, directly from the famous Bangkokian BMW dealer at the horrible local price, a BMW 1200 GS Adventure US Export model with full options, aluminium cases, fog lights, ZUMO 550 GPS (a bit useless for riders), Xenon lights, extra DC plugs, inboard air compressor and Akrapovic free exhaust muffler.
A very confortable bike, just enough powered according to the weight, as some said you feel as King of the Road, after the first aprehension of a huge bike, you ride it as a bicycle. I can't comment on reliability as I have it since 6 weeks but I like this bike which seems to be idle in Thailand.

All bikes are plated with a Green Book and equiped with an Optimate charger plug in order to maintain the battery during the time I don't drive them.

As you could see as well in my signature, the Ducati and the Suzuki have been blessed by Monks in a tamboon ceremony, it is of high importance and signification for me.

Here, I would miss my Harley Fat Boy and the Buell Lightning as I have in Paris, as well as the scooters (Vespa Piaggio and Gilera Nexus) but OK... I still have the cars to play with (a Toyota Tiger 4WD 3.0 l.D4D 2003 and a Toyota Fortuner 3.0 l. D4D 2008 -my wife's car-).
Anyway, I wait that LOS would be more adapted to Big Bikes riding than it is at present. Apart from the deep country side I think LOS is really not the country for bikers with all its climate conditions, people consideration, tabous and dangers. Hope David could "lobby" a bit more to Local Authorities.

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
Hi people,

I'm stuck in a time warp. This machinery takes a bit of TLC. I spend as much time in the workshop as out on the road, but I enjoy both.

with mia noi #1. '59 Thunderbird (it's even got a tyre pump, bicycle style, fits under the seat... works too!)

MeTrevorinthegardenFeb2004.jpg

Not looking this good right now (neither am I though). Needs a front end rebuild following a close encounter with a storm drain. Just scored a replacement nacelle top on Ebay, so hope to get on with it later this year, when time allows.

and mia noi #2. '71 Tiger, undergoing a slow conversion to a cafe racer.

Tiger.jpg

Running pretty well, but will fit some new clutch parts soon to stop a bit of slip and drag.

Ian

www.viangyonok.com

Jun 1, 2008
The first one is a Honda 250 'Baja' which I bought to get me through my test prior to the Thailand tour. I was meant to sell it but like it for riding through our local forestry and it is also fun to ride anyway so maybe I'll just keep it a while yet.

DSC04792.jpg

Once qualified I wanted something a bit larger and more comfortable and bought the Honda 650cc Transalp which is a joy to ride. The only change since this photo was taken is the addition of a top box.

86806705.jpg

Jul 9, 2009
Ian, very nice bikes those are things of beauty. If you don't mind my asking where did you manage to find a couple of classic Triumphs in Thailand and how much would something like that set one back. I have been saving my Satang for a new bike and was thinking of a Triumph but I would much rather have a classic than a new one.

Oct 20, 2003
My Triumph Tiger 1050

DSC_1753.jpg

love it...now has Ohlins shock and front springs. Standard shock a bit soft and under-damped (for me anyway!)

Nov 2, 2008
There are some sweet, sweet bikes – got a love the variety cause as I don’t have to tell anyone here that on a regular basis you don’t see much more than the 'regulars'.

Speaking of the common scoots, thought I’d post also as we don’t want the new model Kawasaki crowd to hang back neither. The Tracker has been great for me; though it’s slower than a couple of cars I’ve had, ain’t had a vehicle with such excellent gas mileage. Planned mods; maybe a beeper for the turn signals and a nice wire basket out front.

IMGP2588.jpg

Looking forward to greater Dual sport choices in the coming years.
IMGP1630.png

Keep this post going! Looove that 525!

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
Hi Lotuseater,

Yes, the classics are beautiful machines and I hope I never have to sell them. There are however, many issues with finding and running machines like these. I would advise you to buy a new Triumph unless you have; a good workshop, a patient temperament, understanding missus, plenty of time, money and mechanical skills. The good thing about running classics in Thailand is that when they break down, it’s usually not too hard to find a pickup and willing helpers to bring the bike home. I’ve actually only done this three times in many years though. Surprisingly, you can get all the spares you need, including uprated parts, either new or on Ebay.
There are quite a few classic Triumphs in Thailand still, as many were imported in the ‘50s and used by the Post Office and other government agencies as well as sold privately. I believe there are less ‘60s and even less ‘70s models here. They are hard to find though and even harder to get with registration.
I bought the ’59 pre-unit Thunderbird in Pattaya in 1993 for 115,000 Baht from a friend, Colin, an English ex-racer who used to run Pattaya Custom Classics in the late ‘80s, early ‘90s. Colin used to do restorations and did several Triumphs as well as Matchlesses, AJSs, Nortons, a Nimbus and others. Colin also ran a modern Honda bike race team competing at Bira and other regional circuits.
I rode the bike for three years, then did a full 3 ½ year restoration to almost original spec. I did all the assembly and paintwork (which took longest) myself in Pattaya, before moving north. This cost a lot of muns and caused much grief with wife. The bike was imported to Thailand in the Seventies by a Thai air force officer. It was utterly worn out internally with much bodging having been done throughout. I took the crankshaft to England to get Hughie Hancox (ex-Triumph factory man) to do grinding and balancing. I rebuilt the bike with new main bearings, big ends, pistons, rings, barrel, bushes, etc etc., then put a replacement gear cluster in the re-bushed gearbox. I made up a wiring loom, fitted electronic ignition, cartridge oil filter, uprated clutch, alternator and many, many, more things. There followed a year or so of fettling, as I had never done a restoration before. The bike is a great joy to ride, with it’s low compression easy starting, throaty sound, relaxed feel and comfort. The frame is a bit rubbery and the front brake is poor but the engine is wonderful. This is the same engine Johnny Allen used in his Bonneville record breaker in the ‘50s. I’ve been up Doi Tung a couple of times on it, no problem. I doubt you would find another Triumph of this era in such useable condition in Thailand.
While doing the Thunderbird up I needed a bike, so I bought the Tiger for 120,000 Baht in 1998, from Khun Sujin in Bangkok whose father ran the Triumph shop near the National Stadium. I’ve done less work on this one, but had oversize valve guides and stainless valve seats put in the head. That was a 500 pound job on it’s own. Sweptback exhausts, rearsets and clip-ons take it towards the café racer look. Paint job and suede seat with bumstop will complete the look later. I’ve also fitted an uprated alternator and clutch and just about to replace the clutch springs and install an alloy pressure plate, together with new pushrod tubes to hopefully fix a niggly oil leak.

If you contact “pikey” on this forum, he recently sold a Norton Commando. The buyer may be bored with it by now? Some of the GT-Riders may know of other classics around. There is a Triumph 500 Speedtwin in Chiang Mai, that used to be in Fang. I know of two unit Triumphs in Pattaya and Khun Sujin has a couple of pre-units at the back of his restaurant in BKK, but they are customers (who haven’t returned) bikes, been there 15 years or more and in very rough condition. Quite a few BSA M21s around though. Some classics may appear at the Chiang Mai bike week (hopefully one of mine one of these years).

Sorry, if I’ve bored all the modern bike riders. You better pm me if you’d like further info Lotuseater.

Ian

Aug 31, 2005
I live in Australia but have a place at the beach in the LOS.
Here's my Thai bike. Boring but I needed something with kick start as it sits for 9-10 months a year before being ridden.
spark.jpg

And here's my Aus bike.
KTM 690E. This is the ultimate ADV weapon.
ktmwithtank.jpg

Reactions: Giff
Apr 20, 2008
Hi mates

This is what I ride most while in Thailand and now she's in Cambodia and expected to complete the trip to Laos and then CNX before coming back home sometime end of this year. The AT serves well in solo riding for this region although it lack top speed.

DSCN0310.jpg

Now I've to ride the "Green" machine at home which is just clocked 3500km + since purchased new in July 2007....under utilised.

DSCN3263.jpg

Used to be my dream bike...since the late 80s...Eddie Lawson replica.

Looking forward to a Honda Varadero 1000 which looks comfy for 2 up in Thailand and this part of the region.

Happy riding and cheers.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi all,
Thanks to all for your answers and your pics...

I have to say I'm amazed!
It's fantastic to discover all these different bikes: how "different in the feeling of riding" we can be all, and, nevertheless, or better: thanks to that, we can contribute for the best to the same GT-Rider forum!

Do you imagine a huge GT-Rider rally with ALL the members AND their bikes?.. It would be "fabulous" so many different bikes and bikers gathering together somewhere here in the North...
Oh la la!..

Then, OK, here are mines under their shelter (and I in between! :lol: )

DSCN1573.jpg

My "black boy's toy" Yamaha Fazer 600: a beauty through my eyes. And easy to ride, to corner and to have fun... Sometimes makes you dreaming you are Rossi's cousin!.. :roll:
And my "camel in red" BMW F650GS: a delightful bike through my eyes. And easy to ride in city as well on dirt roads, rough but comfortable, a pleasure for the pillion (as Madame says!)... Sometimes makes you dreaming you are ready for a "all-around-the-world" trip!.. :roll:

A bit funny, I had to settle in LOS to own modern and new bikes. Never before I had bikes younger than 20 or 25 years old... Different places, different feelings and different times, I suppose...

Ivan, I do like your V-Strom! If it was available in LOS, mmmmmmh!..

Wonderful bikes Ianyonok! And as I was in the Classics years ago back in Europe, I fully agree with you: for everyday trips, better to ride a modern (Triumph, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Honda or whatever!) and keep these timeless beauties for some "special and private" enjoying trips...

Ah the XR 250: unique and unbeatable on its "terrain"!

Very, very nice machines everywhere here! I enjoyed each post...
:eek:

I hope more posts and more pictures to come...
Cheers to all,
Gobs

Dec 5, 2006
Nice BM gobs... allways liked those..
The Fazer looks a bit like my strom front on.
Here is a pic of another bike i owned
Honda XL 600 R .. sold the darn thing because it had no lecky start..
Kicked it on day and it backfired. was off work for 6 weeks..

2817192896_30443a00ca_o.jpg

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Versatility and light weight being on top my agenda; it's DRZ SM:
DSC03905.jpg

And DRZ S:
DSC03764.jpg

The SRX6 was a nice thing but with limited options in this part of the world :
SRX6.jpg

The next one might be one of the KTM I have seen above...
Cheers

Reactions: Fatmama
Aug 29, 2007
Here's my rides. The choice of bike for the ride depends on my mood and the roads I'll be riding on.

2008128.jpg

'97 Tiger with knobblies for the miles of farm tracks and dirt roads around here
'02 Tiger for the twisties and northern border regions
'07 Rocket for blasting down the highway
'?? Unknown vintage DT 200R for the mud and cutting across fields

Missing are the wife and daughter's Clicks, one black, one white to tell them apart.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Well I restored & ride several as follows:

Yamaha FJR1300A - my favourite touring bike with sidecases and topcase and loooooooooots of torque and power, never tiring while riding some 800+ kilometers in one go.
YamahaFJR1300A-sm.jpg

Suzuki Step 125 - my cigarettes-7/11-Somtam bike for aforementioned purposes. Convenient with frontbasket.
SuzukiStep125-sm.jpg

Yamaha SRX6 - restored bike. My favourite commute-to-work bike, fitted a topcase. Sweet & easy thumper.
FR-YamahaSRX600-left.jpg

Suzuki DR650SE, bike for all occasions:
FR-SuzukiDR650SE-left.jpg

Honda NT400 Bros - my partners bike, recently restored by myself.
FR-HondaNT400Bros-left.jpg

Luckily all my bikes are legally registered and therefor not loosing their value rapidly. No need to shy away from riding them even with a lot of BiB on the roads........ :twisted:
Cheers, Franz

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
And some nice bikes more, here! I'm amazed...
Well, many, many different bikes... But it seems a lot of dual-purpose ones...

Hi Franz, just for the tip if you didn't see it:

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... 0gs-(650cc)-for-sale-t5824.html

I'm not at all involved...
About one month ago I met the seller. She told me she drops a bit the price: now 360 KBahts... Maybe 350 KBahts would be "reachable"...

:wink:

Cheers to all,
Gobs

Jun 21, 2006
for around town at night i favour this model. hondas latest wave with an estimated 30hp!

DSC02725.jpg

the other steed a honda crf450r.

DSC03144.jpg

pee those drz's look great( perfect for s.e.asia, were they both red baron purchases?

oh and my track bike

pee

Mar 10, 2006
Happy Honky: yes both DRZ were Red Baron purchases. The SM was Khun Vikrom personnal bike. He fitted a modified camshaft and Yoshimura exhaust.
Then I got a second hand Djebel headlight from Fuark (Vientiane) for the SM.
Both seats have been modified in Chiang Mai (Wulai road).
Cheers