Where is this stuba located ?

Feb 14, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote: my guess is somewhere in the Nor Lae /Angkhan ridge area. Other than that, I don't have any idea. :cry:

SilverhawkUSA, I'm sorry. No this ridge area.

Tip ten.

Davidfl and you have driven motorbikes this place over. Also Rhodie know this area.... :wink:

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Rhodie wrote: Thailasse you tease...

This thread has become an Indiana Jones hunt for the lost stupa!
If Auke is stumped what hope is there for the rest of us?

Will the be a sequel and possibly even a prequel??
Exactly Rhodie - we may even need a superhero to get us out of this !

Where is Captain Slash ?

Ally

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Last try: Phrathat Nang Khoi which is a bit north-east of the Golden Horse temple.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Thailasse-

Most of your references are about the Golden Horse Temple (and videos). Yet you also refer to border areas. I don't consider the GHT to be a border area myself.

Along with some google searches, I even looked at your website for clues and your photo album shows a photo of the Burmese Army camp at Nor Lae as the photo immediately preceding these photos, thus my guess. :D

Davidfl, Rhodie and I have ridden around the border from Mai Sai-Thoed Tai-Angkhan, etc. I was at the GHT last week. Auke also knows this area extremely well.

I think you have us beat on this one, but when you tell us where it is I am surely going to go see it. :shock:

Feb 14, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote: Thailasse-

Most of your references are about the Golden Horse Temple (and videos). Yet you also refer to border areas. I don't consider the GHT to be a border area myself.

Along with some google searches, I even looked at your website for clues and your photo album shows a photo of the Burmese Army camp at Nor Lae as the photo immediately preceding these photos, thus my guess. :D

Davidfl, Rhodie and I have ridden around the border from Mai Sai-Thoed Tai-Angkhan, etc. I was at the GHT last week. Auke also knows this area extremely well.

I think you have us beat on this one, but when you tell us where it is I am surely going to go see it. :shock:
SilverhawkUSA, well concluded, "but still so far away." :wink:

"Khun Sa country" is correctly :wink: but what is the nearest village name where is this stuba/temple located ? Village name is marked on the Golden Triangle The loop map. :wink:

What is the name of the village ?

temple4.jpg

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
For me it is now only a guessing game as I have no clue other than what you show and that it is about 100 km. from the Golden Horse Temple. The only thing I can think off in this area is the Phra Cha Rik hermitage between Pa Jee (Pa Chi) and Mae Mo close to Mae Mo. This place is still on my list of places to visit so have no idea if this place resembles to any extent the "mystery stupa"

Feb 14, 2007
Auke wrote: The only thing I can think off in this area is the Phra Cha Rik hermitage between Pa Jee (Pa Chi) and Mae Mo close to Mae Mo. This place is still on my list of places to visit so have no idea if this place resembles to any extent the "mystery stupa"
I'm sorry, is not this place. :wink:

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
This is addictive: As far as I know the army post manned by the "Man in Black" is located on the border with Myanmar and close to a viewpoint.

If I remember the movie about Khru Bah correctly than in this picture, if Silverhawk would turn around and go left (north-west) and down, he will reach the stupa and temple somewhere close to the border with tea plantations and near Ban Phraya Phrai. However, this is just a guess.

For those who may not know this part, the attached map provides an overview of this area.

Stupaarea.jpg

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
:D Easy! :idea: The date on the photo is 8-Nov-2007 @ 12:13PM so I will just match that up with my tracks from that day. :cry: I don't have the tracks from that day, only waypoints.

I rode up to the border through the tea plantation, as Auke says, to the Army post viewpoint on the border. That seems to fit with everything posted above.

However, this is a photo of me so it was taken by Davidfl. He didn't go with me on the day I went to the border, but we did ride past that turnoff together. So that again agrees with what Auke is saying.

I tried to scan that area with Google Earth but that is cloud covered on their map.

So my final guess is near the Army post somewhere. Without having actually been to the temple I don't believe we are going to narrow it down any closer than that.

That is my last guess.

I think it is time for the big reveal, Thailasse. :!:

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Lasse Now when you have got all the big guns begging the location,,i think you should tunr the screw little bit more as pride of FINNISH riders...LOL

Feb 14, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote:

Heh Ok

I tell the location of the stuba and old border temple.

Temple: Wat Hua Mae Kham ( old border temple)
Date: 22.05.2009

Wat Hua Mae Kham (google earth)

Latitude: 20�21'40.07"P
Longitude: 99�28'58.40"I

Ban Hua Mae Kham (google earth)

Latitude: 20�22'0.67"P
Longitude: 99�28'9.72"I

Check point

temple6.jpg

Gate to the Wat Hua Mae Khan

temple7.jpg

Wat Hua Mae Kham, left side

temple8.jpg

Location, Hua Mae Kham and Wat Hua Mae Kham

temple9.jpg

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
SilverhawkUSA wrote: :D Easy! :idea: The date on the photo is 8-Nov-2007 @ 12:13PM so I will just match that up with my tracks from that day. :cry: I don't have the tracks from that day, only waypoints.
:!:
Silverhawk, if you need to have your tracks I do have a copy of them so can give them back to you :lol: . Have also been fiddling around with the time stamp of the tracks as well as Google (clouds which block out almost everything so reverted to my maps) but can't go any further than guess work unless I go there to find this darned thing.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Good job Thailasse ! :D That was fun. I wont confess to how much time I spent trying to find it.

One of my waypoints is for Ban Hua Mae Kham Forest Park. As you see it is at the far northern point of the road. The park rangers said I couldn't go any farther from there. I never had a clue when I was there (twice) that the Wat and Stupa existed. Nice find. I will have to go back now. :lol:

Huamaekham.jpg

Forestpark1.jpg

forestpark2.jpg

forestpark3.jpg

forestpark4.jpg

Auke,

Thanks. I don't know why the tracks are gone from my file and just the waypoints are there. If you have a chance, please send them.

Feb 14, 2007
SilverhawkUSA wrote:

I never had a clue when I was there (twice) that the Wat and Stupa existed.
We went to Hua Mae Khan only for watch to stuba. It was hard work find out where this stuba is located. I wanted to see it because I saw this stuba Budda's Lost Children DVD. Internet do not tell this stubas lacation anything.

SilverhawkUSA wrote:
One of my waypoints is for Ban Hua Mae Kham Forest Park
Here we had to go but we did not have any time. Somewhere there is also a waterfall.

Hua Mae Kham is a very interesting place and there has definitely come back again.

Here are some picture from Hua Mae Kham villages.

temple10.jpg

temple12.jpg

temple13.jpg

temple14.jpg

temple15.jpg

Feb 14, 2007
thailasse wrote:

By the way,

This route as we drove this "mystery stupa"- day, 22.05.2009

Phu Chi Fa - Thoed Thai via Hua Mae Kham
The Way: Phu Chi Fa – Thoeng – Ta - Phaya Mengrai - Sop Pao - Thung Yang - Ban Noen Sayam - Chiang Rai - Mae Chan – Kiu Sataa - Mae Salong – Sam Yaek - Thoed Thai – Hua Mae Kham – Mae Moh – Phayaprai - Thoed Thai
Route: 1093 – 1155 – 1152 - 1020 – 1326 – 1233 - 1089 – 1234 – 3051 - 4026 - 4032
Total distance: 330km
Total time:: 12h 40min

Start time: 04:50 ( departure time Phu Chi Fa Inn resort, watching for sunrise to Phu Chi Fa viewpoint )
Thoed Thai: 17:30

ianyonok

Subscribed
Dec 9, 2008
I went up to Huay Mae Kham last week with some guests from the hotel, but couldn't get all the way up the last kilometer of road. I was in a four wheel drive. Back in February, they had put in road bend signs, storm drain, black & white posts, armco barrier and graded the road. However they hadn't laid the tarmac. So the rains, combined with people trying to get up there in pickups have churned the aggregate into a big mess with 2 foot deep troughs. You could do it on a dirtbike but it's getting a bit late in the season.

On my last visit to the army post to the northeast of the village, the soldier told me you can walk up the mountain. Got to do this one day in the dry. Looks like a tough maybe one hour hike. Anyone done this?

Marvellous area.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
ARh! You got us all. What a hunt that one was!

Now who's going to be the first one up there again for some new photos??

Thanks for contributing & getting us scratching our heads + exercising the GT Rider "brains trust."

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Date: July 30, 2009

thoedthai059.jpg

thoedthai072.jpg

thoedthai067.jpg

thoedthai052.jpg

I decided to do it the hard way and ride from the Golden Horse Temple to Wat Hua Mae Kham............

thoedthai081.jpg

Don't believe that one huh?

Anyway,

thoedthai083.jpg

The monk says that he now lives here alone. He states that other monks that have tried to live here don't like all his chickens and dogs. He rides the horse daily down to the village to collect rice and food.

He told us of having to pay 1,600 baht to buy one of his dogs from some people who were going to eat it.

thoedthai070.jpg

thoedthai071.jpg

He seemed to truly enjoy having our company and kept talking and telling us stories. I guess you get that way living alone on top of a mountain. We gave him a donation that he said he would use to buy feed for his horse and he seemed happy.

thoedthai077.jpg

thoedthai050.jpg

I have to admit that due to other committments I had to drive my truck on this trip. It was definately "4 wheel drive only" during the rainy season.

Thanks Thailasse for your information.

**If you go, after turning off the main road and following the trail, you come to a Y fork. Go left! To the right looked the more traveled route but led to some deserted farm and the trail was barely wide enough for the truck. I had to reverse for some distance back up the trail before I could turn around.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Dave & Lasse

GPS coordinates for this? i think it would worth while to visit there when in the neigbourhood.

what you think is it durable for my tank during the dry seasson?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
thailasse wrote: [quote quote=SilverhawkUSA]

Heh Ok

I tell the location of the stuba and old border temple.

Wat Hua Mae Kham (google earth)

Latitude: 20°21'40.07"P
Longitude: 99°28'58.40"I

Ban Hua Mae Kham (google earth)

Latitude: 20°22'0.67"P
Longitude: 99°28'9.72"I

Check point

temple6.jpg

Gate to the Wat Hua Mae Khan

temple7.jpg

Wat Hua Mae Kham, left side

temple8.jpg

Location, Hua Mae Kham and Wat Hua Mae Kham

temple9.jpg

Marco-

Above is from an earlier post by Thailasse.

The road from Thoed Thai to the Wat turn off is pavement, with a few rough spots, and then hard packed dirt. If they grade it after the rainy season to get rid of all the ruts and errosion you may be able to do it on your bike.

From the turn off up to the temple would be pretty difficult. I doubt they do much maintenance on that road and it is also fairly steep. Thailasse may have a better idea of what it is like in the dry.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Thanx Dave

Funny thou, i need to think first what are those GPS coordinates on Lasses post P=North & I=East :wink:

steep is no problem at all just wanted to hear is it's durable with my not so offroad bike