Which bike for comfortable riding?

johae

Nov 12, 2006
I have some limited experience on making day trips with 250cc enduro bikes in Cambodia & Laos. I've driven Suzuki Djebel & Honda Baha. I'm a big guy and having difficulties in finding both comfortable and safe driving position on smaller bikes like these. After 100kms driving my ass hurts like hell.

Any tips on how to improve the small bike seats easily?

How much is the rent for Honda Transalp (or similar) in Phnom Penh / Snooky?

Nick

Jan 25, 2007
Hi Johae

I ride an xr650r and though its seat is slightly broader than my old 225 Yamaha Serow, its pretty hard and my butt also starts acheing after a 100k's. I'm thinking of taking my seat to one of these fellows who re-upholster bike seats - maybe they can put softer, or more, padding in. I have read on the web about a gel that they can put in the seat - but not sure if that's available here. Good luck and let us know if you find a good solution.

Nick

Jun 21, 2006
You could just buy one of these from the many road side stalls and cut it up to fit.

Just make sure when cutting it, you tie off your balls securely, wouldn't want your balls rolling all over the floor, now would we....

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
My butt also aches when riding my Djebel.

A guy I rode with in Cambo had a pad made for his Honda 250.
It looked like a "throw pillow"...and was a little over 12-inches square. The cloth pad contains a 2-inch high piece of sponge rubber.
He has some velcro on the edge of the pad and on the bike to keep it in place. I think it is a good idea and cheap butt insurance [8D]

Nick

Jan 25, 2007
Man! That sheepskin is "butt" ugly. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather have a sore butt than ride around with a big woolly sheep between my legs. A man has got to have his pride!

Nick

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
This is one solution-

PinkPillow1.jpg

You may opt to change the color though........[;)]

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Think you may find the problem is the width of the seat rather than the amount of bouncey stuff in side. Sit on the bike and if your butt bones are not supported then you need a wider seat rather than more padding. I've ridden a 916 Ducati CNX Singapore and back with very little discomfort in the butt department because the seat is wide. It has no padding to speak of!!

Jun 21, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Nick

Man! That sheepskin is "butt" ugly. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'd rather have a sore butt than ride around with a big woolly sheep between my legs. A man has got to have his pride!

Nick

Nick, I think you are getting a little confused, it's the Kiwi's that are the 'sheep shaggers', their favourite saying is I was only helping the sheep over the fence'

Below is foto of my sheepskin cover

Phuket21425.jpg

pee

Mar 10, 2006
a) Re-upholster your bike seat, wider if too narrow as stock, will bring a big improvement.
b) The nature of the cover matters as well. Guys who ride the endurance races (Paris-Dakar, etc) use animal skin. I haven't tested this one myself but reliable source confirm it brings some extra comfort.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
I see from a US biking website, which will remain nameless - tho it has a the latest update from Robert's Chinese Zipper run.
The have been recommending pads designed for ATVs which strap on easily.
These work well for 125/250/400/650 trailies.
Obtainable $14 from Walmart - or $35 from websites dealing with ATV accessories.
Also some are using cutdown ball seat covers particularly favoured by minicab drivers who won't go "sarf of the river mate".
It looks as tho by transferring the pain from your arse to you balls works. If anybody has personal experience please share it with us.

Apr 10, 2006
Many moons ago when I was still a young lad I had a Lambretta LI150 that was stripped of all the superfluous bits like legshields, panels, mudguards and lights. The guy that had it after me took it a step further and took off the panel that curves around the back of the bike and under the seat and contains the glove box and petrol tank which were also taken out. He then bolted a go kart seat directly onto the frame which curves upwards perfectly to wrap around the seat and put a lawnmower petrol tank on the back.

A Lambretta purist would probably physically attack you in the street for doing this but it was great fun to ride.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
The point of the padded shorts are more to absorb your smelly bum sweat that to give padding... and the padding they do have is really only to a bit of movement area between the skin and the seat...

My bike seats are hard as a rock, and very narrow so that you are supported more on what is called a 'biffon' in female anatomy class...

I do know that the padded shorts are still popular with long distance tourers, but I think it is more the reduction in BSF (ball sweat factor) that helps...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
I understand Pikey is the resident expert on these sort of shorts.
Tho "bifon" & 'bsf" sound rather more technical than numb bum "nb".

Jun 21, 2006
Hey talking of Pikey, he showed us yesterday some new seat padding thingy he has for his bike, looks pretty cool with I think some kind of gel padding in it, the wife and I still happy with our sheepskin cover for our PURPLE PHANTOM, and we have just had a comfartable ride up to Mae Salong, north of Fang, unreal place recommended to me by DavidFL, and he must know about me being a Cheap Charlie. This place is unreal, all Chinese, 50 baht a nite for a bed, and Internet 10 baht an hour using Vista, so think I will chain myself to the pc so no one else can get on to use it.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
TJ / Rhodie,

As I am very fond of my nether regions i can confirm both the shorts and the pad are a vast improvement over just the std seat on my XR. The shorts are downhill mountain biking thingies from 661 and have a padded cocyx(?) area and the seat is a sheepskin/memory foam/gel combo that I mail ordered from the US and Big & tall bought over for me (http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/). Only done a short trip with the gel pad and after getting used to a little movement from it, seems really good. The shorts have been comfort and impact tested and past both with flying colours. I've yet to try them both together.

BTW, TJ, your bike still looks PINK to me [;)]

Cheers,

Pikey.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Welcome back Pikey.
I have been trying to touch base.

In the meantime do you have some modelling pix of those shorts for men who want alternative options?[:D]

TJ now I have my screen monitor colour-calibrated & I am inclined to agree with Pikey, that the Phantom is perhaps a Fay Wrayish pink. Maybe some padded shorts, colour coded, to go along with the ensemble?Big Smile [:0]

Hope you are having fun in rain-sodden Mai Solong - can you still buy the bottles of local liquor with snakes in?
See you next time in BKK I hope.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by Rhodie

Tho "bifon" & 'bsf" sound rather more technical than numb bum "nb".

quote:

Originally posted by pikey

The shorts are downhill mountain biking thingies from 661 and have a padded cocyx(?)

Are they the ones that are just like normal shorts on the outside, but have bike-shorts as a liner??? they are called "shy pants", because you are too shy to wear normal bike pants... I think that should be called "for the love of good and all that is right put it away and wear these" pants...

I think Coccyx is the tail bone that ends at the bottom of the spine... I know that in women, real name for the bifon (the bit your balls bifon) also known as the chin rest, is the perineum... I know this because in anti-natal class they were talking about the likely tearing of the perineum during childbirth and the Trouble and Strife leant over and said, "I thought that was called the bifon"...

God I am glad I am male... me thinks that tearing that would hurt nid noi...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jun 21, 2006
Okay you colour blinded buggers....

Have just bought myself a Honda Degree 250 up here in Chiangr Rai, and this time the seat is definately PURPLE, have taken some fotos will post when I can get them off my camera

now I can play dirty with you guys on my next trip

Jun 21, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Captain_Slash

So Mae Salong has got the internet now has it, when I asked there about internet capability I was told no internet in Mae Salong

Can'n Slash, its unbelievable, high up in the mountains, and have ADSL, and only 10 baht an hour. As all writing everywhere was in Chinese, was expecting Big Robert to come hurtling round the corner any minute on his Zipstar

Oct 12, 2005
The best option for enduro bike comfort as others have said is widening the seat base foam to provide proper support for your Hugh Jass.

If its for a rental and you don't weant to permanently alter the seat this is the best option: Have a 12 inch piece of fabric sewn so that two sleeves are fitted each end to hold a small water bottle parallel and level with the top of the seat. Lay it ascross the seat for extended pavement jaunts no problem (200 mile days in the states) then pull it off, drink the water and roll it up for the dirt sections.

The water bottles provide the widened seat base you need, plus easily removeable for technical dirt riding. Plus it only costs 20 baht to make here in SEA. You bum wil appreciate it.

Good luck.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by tropicaljohno

Okay you colour blinded buggers....

Have just bought myself a Honda Degree 250 up here in Chiangr Rai, and this time the seat is definately PURPLE, have taken some fotos will post when I can get them off my camera

now I can play dirty with you guys on my next trip

TJ
Chiang Rai? Couldn't you find somewhere else a bit further away from Phuket to buy your bike?

Jun 21, 2006
David

You know very well, this is God's Country up here for anything to do with bikes (and trailers)

We have the boats, beaches, and sailing down south..... you get all the rest, wish the 2 places were a bit closer together.

Phuket21879.jpg

David this is the bike I bought today.....

Phuket21886.jpg

and all I have to show for it, is the bike stand tied to the top of my cutomised Phantom top box