Why do some helmets whistle?

Oct 1, 2005
Just bought a new half face crash hat from Tescos in order to ride my scooter to Carrefour........ I get a wind-whistling sound in my ears over 55kph....... Why don't they test these things?.... Maybe it's a question of funny shaped ears and the helmet is quite normal.

Oct 1, 2005
How much do you have to spend to ensure your helmet doesn't whistle?..... Good grief!..... A trip to the Big C?

Oct 1, 2005
Nah..... I just spoke to the big cheese at Index....... He said they are supposed to whistle..... I was just unlucky enough to get a bum one with no rhythm.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I got me a ICON (copy?) jet helmet with a face shield that goes down to the chin for 600 THB, it only whistles when open, when closed it's quiet. Should I ask for my money back?

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
TonyBKK wrote: There is some wisdom to the old saying "You get what you pay for"... :wink:

Yeah, but my Arai Quantum II also whistles. I guess venting scoops for a cool head have their downside. But I wear earplugs 100% anyway so not too intolerable.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
TonyBKK wrote: There is some wisdom to the old saying "You get what you pay for"... :wink:
Tony,

I think what Pikey would say :lol: is :-

"It is unwise to pay too much. But it’s worse to pay
too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little
money that is all. When you pay too little, you
sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing you bought
it to do. The common law of business balance
prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. It can’t be
done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to
add something for the risk you run. And if you do
that, you will have enough to pay for something
better."
John Ruskin 1819-1900

Oct 17, 2006
some locally made helmets are made of a low grade polypropalene or even worse polycarbonate that can split on impact.

Oct 1, 2005
Is it the polypropalene or the polycarbonate that makes them whistle?

Obviously the skull smashing multiple le fort fracture head crushing is an entirely different issue...... Touch wood.....