Seeking route advice - Feb 2024

TonyH

Subscribed
Sep 13, 2019
Vic, Australia
Hello all riders,

I am looking for some route advice for a 7 day bike tour planned for next Feb 2024.

We have previously done both the Mae Hong Son loop and the Golden Triangle Loop out of Chiang Mai on hire bikes from C&P Big Bikes.
Next year we are again hiring bikes (Yamaha MT07 and Honda CB750) a planning a new route (not fixed in stone) Chiang Mai - Phrae - Nan - Pua - Chiang Kham - Phu Chi Fa - Chiang Rai - Chiang Mai (using many of the roads recommended in this forum).

I am currently looking for advice on the best (best for motorbikes) route from Phu Chi Fah to Chiang Rai, I can see a few options looking at Google Maps and the GTR Maps, but not sure which would be preferred.

Thanks for any help.
Tony

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
If you're only stuck PCF - Chiang Rai
The quick direct way would be PCF - the Big Dipper - Chiang Rai on the new 4-lane.
If you want to enjoy your time out there, then don't miss this one

The Big Dipper: R4018 The Phaya Phipak road

Huai Laeng: Huai Lang / Laeng Another Steepest Road - Wiang Kaen / Chiang Khong

Lao U: The Lao U Road - Sensational, Excitement Plus.

Singapore road: The Sensational Steep Huai Kuk - Pha Tang Loop - Singapore Road

See also

Whatever you do, you will enjoy yourself, & always want to come back for more.
There are too many good places to stop & enjoy. Sometime you never know whether to just ride & enjoy, or to dawdle and enjoy.
Usually if you take the "just ride" mode, you always want to come back & see what you missed. Either way it is win win.

See also

TonyH

Subscribed
Sep 13, 2019
Vic, Australia
If you're only stuck PCF - Chiang Rai
The quick direct way would be PCF - the Big Dipper - Chiang Rai on the new 4-lane.
If you want to enjoy your time out there, then don't miss this one

The Big Dipper: R4018 The Phaya Phipak road

Huai Laeng: Huai Lang / Laeng Another Steepest Road - Wiang Kaen / Chiang Khong

Lao U: The Lao U Road - Sensational, Excitement Plus.

Singapore road: The Sensational Steep Huai Kuk - Pha Tang Loop - Singapore Road

See also

Whatever you do, you will enjoy yourself, & always want to come back for more.
There are too many good places to stop & enjoy. Sometime you never know whether to just ride & enjoy, or to dawdle and enjoy.
Usually if you take the "just ride" mode, you always want to come back & see what you missed. Either way it is win win.

See also

Thanks DavidFL!

Already planning to ride to PCF on the R1093 from Chiang Kham, then do the R4018 Big Dipper which I missed out on last time.
This 4 lane you speak of, where does it start and what is the route number? On google maps I can see a route R1421 intersecting R1020 heading towards Chiang Rai, is this the one?

Cheers
Tony

TonyH

Subscribed
Sep 13, 2019
Vic, Australia
Thanks DavidFL!

Already planning to ride to PCF on the R1093 from Chiang Kham, then do the R4018 Big Dipper which I missed out on last time.
This 4 lane you speak of, where does it start and what is the route number? On google maps I can see a route R1421 intersecting R1020 heading towards Chiang Rai, is this the one?

Cheers
Tony
OOps, just saw the link you posted, thanks!

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks DavidFL!

Cheers
Tony
There is also the Phu Anma loop out of Chiang Kham.

Dont forget this ripper too