The Gt Rider Memorial Chedi

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by DavidFL, Sep 30, 2016.

1. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator Staff Member

The GT Rider Mae Hong Son Loop Memorial ride in honour of departed riders is in its 8th year this year.
    Originally we started with a couple of plaques & 100 year rose bushes for TJ & Simon, planted at Wat Chong Klang by the lake in Mae Hong Son.
    The TJ John Hamilton - Simon Siinthai Grant Memorial Ride

In 2012 we added Dan White's ashes & another plaque.
    Dan White RIP

In 2016 we have Tom Forde's ashes.
    Rip Tom Forde

The set up we have at Wat Chong Klang is now unsatisfactory & we need to do something better.
    After a meeting with the monks & abbot at Wat Doi Kong Mou, overlooking Mae Hong Son we have been granted permission to erect a proper GT Rider Memorial chedi at the very top of the hill, below the communication towers & above Wat Doi Kong Mou.

There is a small wat at the very top
    GTR - IMG_6034.JPG

behind the wat on the west sunset side there is a plot we have been granted permission to build a chedi
    GTR - IMG_6035.JPG

GTR - IMG_6036.JPG

In the next few weeks we will endeavour to have a chedi ready for the 8th annual ride on the 5-6th November.

We would like some feed back on some designs we are considering.
    Sensible comments on the below are invited.
    Which style do you prefer?

Chedi 1
    Chedi 1.jpg

Chedi 2
    Chedi 2.JPG

Chedi 3
    Chedi 3.jpg

Chedi 4
    Chedi 4.jpg

Chedi 5
    Chedi 5.jpg

Chedi 6
    Chedi 6.jpg

As time goes by we can add additional ashes from more GT Riders, who have ridden the North & contributed to GTR.

Anyone who wishes to assist with the cost of building the chedi - 1.8 metres high - is welcome to contribute.

Oddvar, Ticino and brian_bkk like this.
  2. Loading...

3. ozadr1an

ozadr1an Member

Chedi #1, but perhaps the blue one, would seem a reasonable compromise between being too plain and too gaudy. Not understated, but not overstated.

Thats my own opinion though.

4. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

Count me in David.

My preference is white and red or white and gold one. Not to gaudy.. Otherwise as a compromise between gaudy and plain for me is the blue one.

Cheers
    Brian

scotty007 likes this.
  5. scotty007

scotty007 Ol'Timer

Chedi 2 is my preference, count me in for a contribution as discussed!

6. Jurgen

Jurgen Ol'Timer

I love the sobriety of chedi 2, my second choice would be Chedi 5

scotty007 likes this.
  7. Rod Page

Rod Page Ol'Timer

I was moved on reading this post & the instantaneous offers to help. As with the excellent initiative that is the Chiang Mai Toy Ride this is a most worthy contribution. Well done David.

scotty007 likes this.
  8. Russ McDermid

Russ McDermid Active Member

I think the simple white Chedi 2 works well .... plus easy to clean & maintain on the annual visit.
    Count me in for a donation too.

scotty007 likes this.
  9. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Chedi # 2 would be my choice. Simple and lots of Flat Areas to Place Plaques. the others have too much wasted space. You can colour it or add some Bling if You require? That is My view anyway. We have to decide the Size of the Plaque for each Person also? a Small Brass engraved Name Plate maybe? Size of a Mobile phone perhaps? Name, DOB and DOD.

scotty007 likes this.
  10. DavidFL

Edging closer

GT rider memorial chedi concepts.jpg

Comments please

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    Jurgen likes this.
  11. ozadr1an

ozadr1an Member

I would do non mirrored myself... Better pics and less gaudy. But thats my take of the two choices...

12. brian_bkk

brian_bkk Ol'Timer Staff Member

Non mirrored. White and gold best of the two choices

13. Goran Phuket

Goran Phuket Ol'Timer Staff Member

I am unable to attend the event but you can count me on regarding the donation.
    David, please send me THB 3,000 paypal request to usual email addy and I'll send the payment pronto.

14. Ian Bungy

Ian Bungy Ol'Timer

Top One. White with some Gold Paint. The Bottom one Looks to Busy and would make the Plaques hard to find or Read! That is the Next Mission, Size and Style of Plaque? Just a Brass Name Plate screwed on. Size depends on the Size of the Chedi I guess but maybe 6 X 3 inches? Kept Simple, Name, Nick Name if any, Date of Birth, Date of Death? To be decided by David and You all of Course?

15. warmndry

warmndry Member

I agree with Ian. White with a bit of bling would be my choice or the blue one. However drilling through ceramic or glass to affix the plaques might be tricky.

16. canthai

canthai Active Member

Style 2 my choice. The one with the plain sides - plaque 6" wide 2-3" high plenty of room. Simple Gold trim if this is the consensus OK with me.

17. DavidFL

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Of the final 4 selections
    [​IMG]

we have opted for the top right chedi.
    The height will be 1.99 metres with a base of 1.2 metres, located on a 3 metre concrete pad.

There will be an official merit making Buddhist ceremony on the morning on the 6th November 2016 to inaugurate the GTR Memorial Chedi. This part of the 8th Annual GTR MHS Loop Memorial Ride.
    If anyone want to assist in the cost of the construction donations are welcome.
    Surplus funds will be given to the abbot of Wat Doi Kong Mou, who has very graciously approved this GTR Memorial chedi in a stunning location at the very top of Doi Kong Mou.
    [​IMG]

For more news please follow this thread
    The 2016 8th Annual Tj John Hamilton-simon Siinthai Grant Mhs Memorial Ride

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  18. DavidFL

An update 24 October

Work is under way on the GTR chedi.

DSC_0480.JPG
    DSC_0485.JPG
    Supposedly it will be ready by the end of this week.