2013 Honda CBR500/CB500R/CB500X

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I wonder why Honda chose 471cc instead of 499cc to make it a "real" 500. Also the bore is 67mm, the stroke 66.8mm, which is unusual, most modern engines are way more oversquare.

The last CB500 which was discontinued in 2003 had a bore of 73 mm, a stroke of 59.5 mm = 499cc.

Is it in the interest of fuel economy?

Dec 27, 2007
Rhodie;285454 wrote: in January's Fast Bikes mag

285454=13936-CBR500R.jpg

"porky"! Lmao!!!

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
This pic shows the different heights of the handle bars. The X is definitely right for me!

285466=13937-honda_cb500_2013_pz.jpg

Jul 8, 2011
brake034;285500 wrote: Latest from Honda Big Wing facebook account, thanks to Google translate:

Reservations for the CB500X will start at the Bangkok Motorbike Fest @ Central World from January 30 onwards and start delivery of them around March 2556.

Prices for the R and F remain as per Expo announced prices.
Thanks for the info and sorry for not replying earlier (missed your post). Yeeah, I got the same info.

I will be going for the X. The Pirelli tyres which come standard with the bike are a huge plus. I would otherwise have to spend another 10 K or so for those. They are really good.

Jul 8, 2011
KZ25;285466 wrote: This pic shows the different heights of the handle bars. The X is definitely right for me!

285466=13937-honda_cb500_2013_pz.jpg

The riding positions on the R and F are very similar IMO. The R is very comfy too.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
NickyBKK;285503 wrote: The riding positions on the R and F are very similar IMO. The R is very comfy too.
They look quite close but it's amazing what a difference a one inch wider or taller bar can make.

Nov 27, 2012
CBR500X. Latest info - goto Bangkok Bike Fest at Central World from January 30. Give deposit?? Bikes arrive from end of March. Can I order from Honda Bigbike?

Dec 27, 2007
NickyBKK;285505 wrote: So great value for money. And....it's a Honda!
Actually the review says that because it's cheap you shouldn't complain too much about the low power, heavy weight and basic suspension... So what if it's got a Honda sticker?

That said, it is cheap and fuel efficient so should be a great commuter or beginner bike.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
TonyBKK;285582 wrote: So what if it's got a Honda sticker?
Honda has its reputation of superior quality, fit and finish, has more than two-thirds of the local market share and it's not Suzuki or Kawasaki, not to mention Thai-, Korean- or even Chinese-produced.

A Honda sticker definitely counts for something around here.

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;285584 wrote: Honda has its reputation of superior quality, fit and finish, has more than two-thirds of the local market share and it's not Suzuki or Kawasaki, not to mention Thai-, Korean- or even Chinese-produced.

A Honda sticker definitely counts for something around here.
That's your opinion and you are of course entitled to it. And if you are talking about Made in Japan Hondas I will agree with you 100%.

But isn't it a bit strange that the new Thai-made Honda 500's are heavier, less powerful, weaker brakes, slower and less well suspended than the 20+ year old Honda CB400?

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
I don't think that's strange.

I've said it before, if the new 500s would be light and quick and look like a CBR600R they would cost almost as much.

Of course there are better bikes out there, lighter and faster, but that is also reflected in their price.

I think you can't get over the fact that the new CB500s are simple, averagely powered bikes and don't appreciate that they cost only 200K - which is definitely fine with me and I think Honda made the right decision. If these bikes would weigh 150kg, have 60 hp, adjustable suspension, top-notch brakes, upside down forks and killer looks and cost 260K I wouldn't be interested.

I've been complaining about too many expensive bikes with too many hp so I'm finally happy about an affordable quality ride.

There are lots of big bikes available these days. No sense in complaining that a 200K bike doesn't offer more than it does.

Jul 8, 2011
TonyBKK;285582 wrote: Actually the review says that because it's cheap you shouldn't complain too much about the low power, heavy weight and basic suspension... So what if it's got a Honda sticker?

That said, it is cheap and fuel efficient so should be a great commuter or beginner bike.
Bit of a strange post. You are saying:

Actually the review says that because it's cheap you shouldn't complain too much about the low power, heavy weight and basic suspension... So what if it's got a Honda sticker?

Specs put bikes into a certain category. Higher spec, higher price, lower spec, lower price.

Once you are shopping in a certain spec (price) category you can choose between brands. Honda happens to be a Jap brand that most bikers like. For reasons I guess...

Mind you that Honda also makes higher spec bikes but they are more expensive.

Like I said earlier, these 3 little Hondas will be great value for money here in LOS. I believe that many will agree with me.

Dec 27, 2007
NickyBKK;285606 wrote:

Like I said earlier, these 3 little Hondas will be great value for money here in LOS. I believe that many will agree with me.
Actually I do agree with you that they are great value for money. I just find it disappointing that Honda has chosen to make new bikes that compete on price rather than performance.

:happy1:

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I was just in at the New Big Wing Honda Shop in Chiang Mai. They have a Swarm of People Frantically working on finishing everything in time for Saturdays opening. The Top Brass there were More than Helpful and let Us in to take a look at the Many New Bikes there most still in Boxes. I looked at the Full Range of New 500 and Sat on them. The Naked one doesn't rate a Mention in My eyes! The CBR was a Nice Bike and looked really Small and I bet a lot of Fun on the Roads up north here. The "X" was Fantastic! When You sat on it if You closed Your eyes and put Your Arms and legs where You thought they should be You would be right on Target! It also felt light like a 250! Big Comfortable Seat, Nice Dash etc etc. I could go on but You get the Idea! This in My opinion is a Game Changing Bike which they will have No Problem Selling in the Limited Numbers allocated for Thailand! A Real Bargain Mile Muncher!
2012-12-20132942Small_zpse7037285.jpg

Jul 8, 2011
Ian Bungy;285657 wrote: I was just in at the New Big Wing Honda Shop in Chiang Mai. They have a Swarm of People Frantically working on finishing everything in time for Saturdays opening. The Top Brass there were More than Helpful and let Us in to take a look at the Many New Bikes there most still in Boxes. I looked at the Full Range of New 500 and Sat on them. The Naked one doesn't rate a Mention in My eyes! The CBR was a Nice Bike and looked really Small and I bet a lot of Fun on the Roads up north here. The "X" was Fantastic! When You sat on it if You closed Your eyes and put Your Arms and legs where You thought they should be You would be right on Target! It also felt light like a 250! Big Comfortable Seat, Nice Dash etc etc. I could go on but You get the Idea! This in My opinion is a Game Changing Bike which they will have No Problem Selling in the Limited Numbers allocated for Thailand! A Real Bargain Mile Muncher!
2012-12-20132942Small_zpse7037285.jpg
Nice nice nice, let's hope that the supply will not be TOO limited. Love the bike but don't like the Red X on the tank. I would take it of (if posssible). I am not so into stickers.. Maybe I am getting old:shifty:

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Ian Bungy;285657 wrote: This in My opinion is a Game Changing Bike which they will have No Problem Selling in the Limited Numbers allocated for Thailand!
Honda probably realize that the X will be the top seller, that's why they offer downpayments on the others first.

I was surprised that the prices were so close together, only 5K difference. I expected 180K, 200K and 220K (especially with the Pirelli tires).

Is it only me or does the muffler heat protector look a bit - dare I say it - Chinese?

Hope the black version will be available - white bikes never did it for me.

Nov 21, 2010
Interesting discusion about the performance of the new Honda bikes. Actually look to some other new bikes from Yamaha and Suzuki (well not in Thailand of course) and you see the same. What I also see that in China are bikes for sale that look awfully like some of these new bikes.

To me it almost looks like these bikes are not developed by Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha but just rebranded and some quality upgrade. No hight-tech frames, no high-tech engines, etc.

But never the less the new Honda bikes will sell very good in monopoly Thailand where the price seems to be key-factor 1 (even in the upper-class market as the prices are just doubled to make it exclusive).

Chang Noi

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Changnoi1;285713 wrote: To me it almost looks like these bikes are not developed by Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha but just rebranded and some quality upgrade. No hight-tech frames, no high-tech engines, etc.
Honda made the CB500s the way they are because that's the way they will be most successful. Yes, no high-tech stuff but therefor a low price, because that's what will sell best in this economic climate.

Personally I've seen better times and had 130+ hp crotch rockets worth ten grand, that's in the past.

I'm glad that quality bikes like the CRF250L and the new 500 series are available for a fair price.

To suggest that the CB500s weren't developed by the Japanese is ridiculous; the Big Four would never ruin their reputation by farming out what they easily can do themselves.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
The Bikes are Excellent Quality the Same as My New CRF! See For Yourselves once You actually get to see the Bike in person instead of just Photos? I am still not sure where this Idea that New Honda Bikes are Cheap Quality comes from? Weird. Put My CRF beside My KLX and You can see the superior finish of the Honda on almost everything from engine and Frame Powdercoating up, the Kawasaki only gets Paint that wears off easily and quickly! Incredible that this Thread is on Page Number 6 and still Rambling on about the same untrue Rumours and Hearsay?
John, The New Honda Big Wing in Chiang Mai is in the Sunday Walking Street beside the Niyom Phanich Toyota Dealer. Same Owners of Course. Check it out.

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Ian, sorry we never made it. Lost our dogs as we were leaving and spent hours trying to fing the little bastards! I think the Honda looks great. I was sort of tossing the idea as I spoke with you and Don las week of the ER6N and as you advised the Honda. Although lower on CC and power and stuff, the Honda is looking good. I agree, the X would be the model I would possibly pick over the Kawa. Mind is still in limbo over the two at the moment, but it could come down to price and value for money as I am looking for a back up bike for the HP2 as that monster is too uncomfortable for the Mrs. See you in the new year and a happy one to all on the board. Muzz

Nov 7, 2007
Looked at Honda Big Wing today - unbelievable - it's a very nice looking building and they put it up in record time.

The new Hondas look really good too, much better than expected to be honest. No CBX500 but they have a bunch of NC700X megascooters... if the 500s look better in person, the NC700X looks worse.

@Tony not sure you have much reason to complain anymore, Honda makes a CBR600RR if you're looking for something that competes on specs, and the CB500 series if you want something that competes on value. Admittedly they're lacking a new exciting model like a Panigale ... but I guess sales figures speak their own language.