2013 Honda CBR500/CB500R/CB500X

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Isn't a pint about the quarter of the amount of oil in the engine? That much shouldn't be missing after only 3,000 km IMO.

I never topped up more than about 100 ml on any bike I ever owned.

Dec 27, 2007
Eddie The Eagle;293857 wrote: im curious too, no smoke .. goes like a train, no probs .. will keep my eye on it
Your call of course. I guess the bike is under warranty (2 years?), so ride it like you stole it and if/when it blows up Honda will have to fix it.

Personally I'd never run an engine that was losing that much oil. I'd find the problem and fix it.

Good luck! :happy1:

Dec 27, 2007
KZ25;293861 wrote: I've read a similar post on CBR500riders - a guy had to refill almost a quart after 1,000 km; that's way too high oil consumption for a new engine.
Anyone figured out WHY these brand new bikes are losing so much oil??

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
The total oil capacity is 2.7 litres. That is 5.7 pints. It was 1 pint low. As I mentioned. I didn't double check after the last check up to see if it was topped off properly. This time I will watch it more closely. I am not too concerned at this point.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
SilverhawkUSA;293864 wrote: Checked mine after reading this. It is going in for it's 6,000km checkup on Thursday (now has about 6,400). It was about a pint low. So that would be in the 3,000km since it's last checkup at Big Wing where they used Synthetic. Always the possibility of not being filled to the proper level at the check up as I didn't double check it at the time.
I made a mistake in this post with my mileage. i usually change oil about every 3,000km. That is the figure I used above. i forgot the previous oil change was actually at 1,000km. So that means I used about a pint (.5 liter) in 5,400km. That doesn't worry me.

Changnoi, that appears to be a leak because a plug (bolt) fell out or wasn't put in. Definitely not related.

Sep 13, 2010
Another point to consider is that I have been told to fill up the oil to the mid-way point between the min & max lines, not up to the max line by Honda factory engineers. I'm sure the manual says to the max line though.

But what I'm getting at, if the service centres are following that, then a small oil loss would be exaggerated if you're filling to the max line.

Nov 21, 2010
Stupid question, but how do you know that you was 1 pint low?
Is it 2.7l on a dry engine with a dry filter?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Yes, it is 2.7l on a dry engine according to the manual. I am using pint as a measurement because that is what the original poster referred to. I used half (maybe even a little less) of a 1 litre (2.1 pints) bottle of oil to top it off at the fill line. 'Marmite' may also be onto something. As I said before, I can't say for sure how far it was filled at the 1,000km check.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
SilverhawkUSA;293968 wrote: Yes, it is 2.7l on a dry engine according to the manual. I am using pint as a measurement because that is what the original poster referred to. I used half (maybe even a little less) of a 1 litre (2.1 pints) bottle of oil to top it off at the fill line. 'Marmite' may also be onto something. As I said before, I can't say for sure how far it was filled at the 1,000km check.

I've just checked my OIl . it's due a 6k service. has 6200k on the clock. couldn't see any Oil in the window. I put in about 1/4 of a litre in the filler cap and another 1/4 of a Litre on the floor (filler cap is almost horizontal, so need a good very small funnel in future :| ) and the Oil is now Midway between the levels on the Glass. don't think it's anything to worry about. same as silverhwk can't say for sure how far it was filled at 1k.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Lakota;293985 wrote: I've just checked my OIl . it's due a 6k service. has 6200k on the clock. couldn't see any Oil in the window. I put in about 1/4 of a litre in the filler cap and another 1/4 of a Litre on the floor (filler cap is almost horizontal, so need a good very small funnel in future :| ) and the Oil is now Midway between the levels on the Glass. don't think it's anything to worry about. same as silverhwk can't say for sure how far it was filled at 1k.
Put a piece of rubber hose on the tip of your funnel. Insert the hose in the filler hole and keep the funnel upright/level. No spill. :thumbup:

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Will someone stick a tape measure on their cooling fan and tell me the dimensions? A photograph of the fan would be greatly appreciated.

I asked the same on ThaiVisa and only got unhelpful responses and suggestion from a bunch of .....

Dec 28, 2008
If anyone is looking for the Pirelli MT60 RS Corsa tires for your CB500 bike, I found them at a shop in Chiangmai, after I was told by the Pirelli rep in Bangkok that they were sold out of the rear tire. (I've had this problem before with the Pirelli rep in Bangkok - out of tires that I needed.) This time I thought I'd try to find the tires in Chiangmai. I printed a list of the shops listed on the Pirelli website as Pirelli dealers in Chiangmai - there were about 10 shops listed. When I was at Big Wing in Chiangmai, I called the first shop on the list and struck out. Then I thought to ask the staff at Big Wing if they knew of any shop that might have the MT60's in stock, and they mentioned a shop that was not on the list, called Mix Motor Bike Shop. I got directions, went to the shop, and they had the MT60's in stock. The tires were pretty new also (one 4 months old and the other 6 months old). The price was the same as ordering from Bangkok. The staff there was friendly and helpful. Here's their Facebook page - https://th-th.facebook.com/mixmotorbike If I think of it, I'll post later when I know how these tires do, and how long they last.

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for the info Paul1212. I assumed I would have to order them. I was in a shop in CM a few days ago and priced them up. just over 12k baht a set. is that roughly what you paid and did they balanced them ?

How many Km's did you get out of the stock Scorpion Trails ?

Dec 28, 2008
Yes. 12,400 baht for the pair. The guy at Mix Motor Bike Shop said that Pirelli sets that price, and retailers are not allowed to charge any more. I don't think they balanced them. I don't remember ever having tires balanced for any of my previous motorcycles, but I've always used tubed tires before (on dirt bikes). This is my first time to use tubeless tires. So I guess they need to be balanced? I had the tires sent from the shop in C'mai to Phayao where I live, and the motorcycle shop here took the wheels off, and then took them to a tire shop that does tires for cars and had the new tires put on the wheels there, so the tire shop there might have balanced them. Re. the Scorpion Trails, I only put about 2,000 km on them before I switched to the MT60's - still plenty of tread left on the Scorpions. My plan is to use the MT60's during the rainy season (May through October) and then switch back to the Scorpion Trails from November through April.

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Whoa, 12,4K for a set, hope they last! I checked on a set of Diablo Rosso II for my CRF250M and was quoted 7,2K.

But, no Pirellis available so I settled for Pilot Street Radials for 6K a set, quite an improvement over stock even though the IRC weren't that bad.

I was told that if the small yellow stamp goes where the valve sits the tire doesn't need to be balanced.

djimi

Sep 18, 2013
Hi, i just recently purchased a cb500x. I'm from Malaysia and will be going up to BKK next month, i'm pretty sure the accessories for the cb500x will be cheaper in BKK than here. Hope someone can recommend some good bike shops in BKK where i can get those stuff. I'm looking at getting engine guards, center stand, taller wind shields, pannier racks, rear rack that fits hepco (i already have a hepco box), hand guards, etc. Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks

Jan 4, 2014
djimi;302925 wrote: Hi, i just recently purchased a cb500x. I'm from Malaysia and will be going up to BKK next month, i'm pretty sure the accessories for the cb500x will be cheaper in BKK than here. Hope someone can recommend some good bike shops in BKK where i can get those stuff. I'm looking at getting engine guards, center stand, taller wind shields, pannier racks, rear rack that fits hepco (i already have a hepco box), hand guards, etc. Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks
I've seen many Thai vendors selling these parts through Facebook. Search there for 'Honda CB500x Thailand', should point you in the right direction.

Jan 4, 2014
Honda Bigwing have increased the price of this model by 10K฿. Now retails at 215K฿. The updated bike features Pro-link rear suspension with 9-stage preload adjustment.