3 Day Loop

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
A moment ago
NewHi Guys, may i please ask for some route advice? I arrive in Chiang Mai on 14th December and flying out again on the 18th, im looking for the best recommended 3 day loop ride, heading out on saturday morning and getting back on monday evening? Looking to hire minimum 250cc bike and happy to ride for about 4 to 6 hours on each day, so i would be very grateful for suggestions on route, POIs such as waterfalls and hot springs and places to stay on the saturday and sunday evenings. Travelling alone. If you had only 3 days to get the best view of the region with a few cool places to see, stay and do, what would it be? Many thanks Wayne ;-)

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
4-6 hours a day in 3 days isnt a whole lot but if you squeeze in an hour or two maybe something like this:
Day 1. Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son via Doi Inthanon or Mae Sariang
Day 2. Mae Hong Son to Chiang Rai via Pai-Mae Taeng-Fang-Mae Suai
Day 3. From Chiang Rai back to Chiang Mai via Phayao and R120 maybe?

Just a suggestion...

Reactions: Moto-Rex

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
4-6 hours a day in 3 days isnt a whole lot but if you squeeze in an hour or two maybe something like this:
Day 1. Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son via Doi Inthanon or Mae Sariang
Day 2. Mae Hong Son to Chiang Rai via Pai-Mae Taeng-Fang-Mae Suai
Day 3. From Chiang Rai back to Chiang Mai via Phayao and R120 maybe?

Just a suggestion...
Nice one mate, i realise im not in chiang mai for long and just wanted to make the most, happy to squeeze in the extra hours. When i leave chiang mai im off to da nang to commence 18 days trip taking in nha trang dalat hcmc and phu quoc along the way, any vietnam routes very welcome too ;-) thanks dodraugan x

GTR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2016
Thailand
Hi Wayne

There are some really good trip reports in the Vietnam section that should [provide good inspiration...

The List: Vietnam Trip Planning

Vietnam Trip Planning - 2012
Vietnam - Planning 8-10 day northern vietnam trip. Few questions
Vietnam - Google map - A detailed route full of information, pictures and videos

Its been a while since we've had any trip reports from Vietnam rides, so we'd be delighted if you'd post some impressions, photos etc from your upcoming 18 day epic adventure...

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Wayne, I lived in DaNang along China Beach for 3 years (great spot) & have posted extensively on this site concerning where to go, what to see, festivals & events, licence issues, suitable bike sizes, weather variables....even hospitals & orthopedic surgeons. I covered the lot in 3 years, LOVE the place, think its fantastic riding & one of the best places to do it.
I'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have, happy to offer any advise you may seek.
You should be able to find posts I have written under Rod Page in the search area top right of screen (although Ben may have a far easier way to do it)....& am hopeful all reports came across when changes were made to this site.
Feel free to contact me via PM if this is easier for you.
Safe ride/half your luck.

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
Wayne, I lived in DaNang along China Beach for 3 years (great spot) & have posted extensively on this site concerning where to go, what to see, festivals & events, licence issues, suitable bike sizes, weather variables....even hospitals & orthopedic surgeons. I covered the lot in 3 years, LOVE the place, think its fantastic riding & one of the best places to do it.
I'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have, happy to offer any advise you may seek.
You should be able to find posts I have written under Rod Page in the search area top right of screen (although Ben may have a far easier way to do it)....& am hopeful all reports came across when changes were made to this site.
Feel free to contact me via PM if this is easier for you.
Safe ride/half your luck.
Hi Rod great message mate thank you, 3 years in da nang sounds awesome, i was there for a week last year and loved the place. My journey this year starts in da nang on 18th december were i meet up with my daughter and son in law who live in hanoi, we will be collecting motorcycles from rail station shipped from hanoi and setting out on morning of 19th on the following provisional itinery, which i welcome any comments or suggestions to amend.....
19th leave hoi an and head to quy nhon, 20th lquy nhon to nha trang
21st nha trang to da lat - stay there for 2 days 23rd da lat and to mui ne 24th mui ne to hcmc and stay til 27th hcmc to Can tho region
29th can tho to island of phu quoc, 2nd Jan to 5th Jan phu quoc back to hcmc via as yet to be determined route! First time ever in the central/southern vietnam so the itinery is very much up for reconsideration with exception for starting in da nang and having new year in phu quoc lol :)

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
Hi Wayne

There are some really good trip reports in the Vietnam section that should [provide good inspiration...

The List: Vietnam Trip Planning

Vietnam Trip Planning - 2012
Vietnam - Planning 8-10 day northern vietnam trip. Few questions
Vietnam - Google map - A detailed route full of information, pictures and videos

Its been a while since we've had any trip reports from Vietnam rides, so we'd be delighted if you'd post some impressions, photos etc from your upcoming 18 day epic adventure...
Dear Admin, many thanks for these links for vietnam trip and suggestion to track and report on the adventure. What is best way to do this please in terms of creating a post of the trip and then updating it as i go with pics, comments and video clips (if allowed), it will be good to diary capture the whole trip :)

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
This is not a bad ride that you may want to think about if you like a lot of twisty roads.

All roads tarmac, and all clearly marked on the GTR Mae Hong Son Loop and Golden triangle maps.

Day 1 The way. Chiang Mai – Wat Chan – Pai – Mae Hong son.

If you want to add a couple hours to the ride, go up to Rak Thai and back. (just out of Mae Hong Son)

Day 2 Ride south down hwy 108 to road 2009. Do the 2009 loop. Lunch in Khun Yuam. Ride back up 108 and on to Pai for the night.
Why We Must Ride The 4009!

You can add an hour by doing the loop west out of Khun Yuam.

Yes doubling back on the same roads back to Pai, but these roads are winners.

Day 3 Back to Chiang Mai. Pai – Wiang Haeng- Mae Ja. From Mae Ja either ride down hwy 107 to Chiang mai, or for longer ride, get onto hwy 1150 to Phrao then down the 1001 to Chiang Mai.
Maybe check out Lak Taeng border crossing north of Wiang Haeng,

Moto-Rex

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayne

GTR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2016
Thailand
Hi Wayne

What is best way to do this please in terms of creating a post of the trip and then updating it as i go with pics, comments and video clips (if allowed), it will be good to diary capture the whole trip :)

Usually, just start a new Thread in the correct forum (Vietnam Trip Reports) and add on new posts to it as you go...

A good example is this just completed one from "GregTheMagnificent"
- The Nine Day Northern Thailand Tour

Reactions: Moto-Rex

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
This is not a bad ride that you may want to think about if you like a lot of twisty roads.

All roads tarmac, and all clearly marked on the GTR Mae Hong Son Loop and Golden triangle maps.

Day 1 The way. Chiang Mai – Wat Chan – Pai – Mae Hong son.

If you want to add a couple hours to the ride, go up to Rak Thai and back. (just out of Mae Hong Son)

Day 2 Ride south down hwy 108 to road 2009. Do the 2009 loop. Lunch in Khun Yuam. Ride back up 108 and on to Pai for the night.
Why We Must Ride The 4009!

You can add an hour by doing the loop west out of Khun Yuam.

Yes doubling back on the same roads back to Pai, but these roads are winners.

Day 3 Back to Chiang Mai. Pai – Wiang Haeng- Mae Ja. From Mae Ja either ride down hwy 107 to Chiang mai, or for longer ride, get onto hwy 1150 to Phrao then down the 1001 to Chiang Mai.
Maybe check out Lak Taeng border crossing north of Wiang Haeng,

Moto-Rex
Nice one Moto-Rex will check this out, was fancying the Me Hong Son loop as the ideal circuit given my limited time in the area, many thanks for suggested itinery