The Nine Day Northern Thailand Tour

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
Our ride starts on Sunday 4 November, first stop Khun Yuam.
We are six riders from Australia, three from Perth, and the others from northern NSW.
The plan is Chiang Mai, Khun Yuam, Pai, Fang, Chiang Saen, Chiang Kham, Nan, Tack,
Mae Sariang and back to Chiang Mai in 9 days.
The bikes are from Mr Mechanic and hopefully will be 4 CB500X's and 2 CB650F's. I bags a 650.

Are we too early for the sun flowers at Bua Tong?

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Hi Greg

I'm not sure why you picked Khun Yuam though... I've lived in the north for 12 years and have never noted any reason to spend a night there. Mae Hong Son is only another 65 kms further and has a Night Market, plus a selection of good restaurants etc.

Reactions: scotty007

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
Hi Ben,

We chose to stay at Khun Yuam as concerned about running out of time after picking up the bikes. Two of us did a similar ride in the north last November, but it's the first time for the others, so expect lots of chaos on day 1.

We are heading out on the 1013, maybe detouring to Wachirathan waterfall and finish up on the 1263. Google maps says its 250km and 6 hours but don't know how accurate this is. I have booked the Khun Yuam Resort a few km out of town and it looks ok on the net.

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
Day 1 successfully completed and a great time had by all
Google Maps

Staying at Khunyuam Resort, and then checking out the muaythai in town.

Picking up the bikes
IMG_8920.JPG

DSCN0010.jpg

Last edited:

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Greg,
Following your trip with interest & with envy from a hot Brisbane.
Know the track you followed on Day 1 well & looking forward to updates along the way.
You are in good hands with Ben giving you advice.
Safe trip.
Cheers
Rod

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
DSCN0035.jpg
DSCN0038.jpg
Greg,
Following your trip with interest & with envy from a hot Brisbane.
Know the track you followed on Day 1 well & looking forward to updates along the way.
You are in good hands with Ben giving you advice.
Safe trip.
Cheers
Rod
Thanks Rod, the KhunYuam Resort was a great place to stay, owner friendly and helpful, nice views and peaceful until we arrived

Last edited:
Reactions: ZCM

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
Hi Greg

You are certainly covering the ground pretty well, and being blessed by the glorious weather that we are all enjoying. All of the riverside towns along the Mekong are great places to stay, and good coffee and cakes are much easier to find now than they were a decade ago.

I hope your riding mates are duly impressed by your organisational skills and itinerary?
- they ought to be keeping you sustained with free beers daily... :)

We are all enjoying the progress reports, and appreciate your efforts to do that!

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
Hi Greg

You are certainly covering the ground pretty well, and being blessed by the glorious weather that we are all enjoying. All of the riverside towns along the Mekong are great places to stay, and good coffee and cakes are much easier to find now than they were a decade ago.

I hope your riding mates are duly impressed by your organisational skills and itinerary?
- they ought to be keeping you sustained with free beers daily... :)

We are all enjoying the progress reports, and appreciate your efforts to do that!

Thanks Ben,
Fantastic weather and amazing scenery. Only had 2 cakes yesterday.
I spent a lot of time staring at google maps and checking agoda for places to stay.
My mates say it's the best riding they have ever done and keen to do it again

Reactions: Eoin Christie

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Great one. Looks like you hit the jackpot everywhere you went.

What do you think about the bikes you selected - was everyone happy with he choice?
Would you take a different one next time?

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia

What do you think about the bikes you selected - was everyone happy with he choice?

Hi David,
I'm riding a cb650 and wouldn't get one again. It feels a bit top heavy in the tight slow bends

I prefer the cb500 to the cb650 as

I prefer the cb500 over the cb650.
it deals with the tight corners a lot better, especially when going quick. The 500's single disk front breaks are a bit week while the 650's twin risks are good.

The 650 feels a bit bulky and top heavy in the tight bends. My mates on the 500 are easyly quicker on the 500's

The 650 vstrom is the most comfortable and powerful, but is longer, making it slower in the tight corners

Reactions: DavidFL

Gregthemagnificent

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Apr 14, 2018
Perth Australia
My computer has decided to stop working, so will update when I ca
Hi David,
I'm riding a cb650 and wouldn't get one again. It feels a bit top heavy in the tight slow bends

it deals with the tight corners a lot better, especially when going quick. The 500's single disk front breaks are a bit week while the 650's twin risks are good.

The 650 feels a bit bulky and top heavy in the tight bends. My mates on the 500 are easily quicker on the 500's

The 650 vstrom is the most comfortable and powerful, but is longer, making it slower in the tight cor

Hi David,

I prefer the cb500 to the cb650 as

The 650 feels a bit bulky and top heavy in the tight bends. My mates on the 500 are easyly quicker on the 500's

The 650 vstrom is the most comfortable and powerful, but is longer, making it slower in the tight corners

just discussed the bike with everyone, and the verdict is vstrom is the bike we will ride on the next trip

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Beautiful report.
Thanks for the contribution.

Great to know you're coming back.

Here's a couple more for you to tick off next trip

R1216 the Khun Satan Road.
1216, a hidden Pearl in Nan?

The Big Dipper
https://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/r4018-the-phaya-phipak-road.10303/

The Doi Tung - Mae Sai Burma border back Road
Cnx - Mae Sai - Doi Tung - Doi Mae Salong - Cnx

have a look in here for some more ideas
North Thailand Top Ten Roads

Good luck & many thanks for joining in on GTR

Reactions: Wayne

Wayne

Aug 2, 2018
Day 9
Google Maps
Successful ride, great fun and no major dramas.
Back next year, and most likely do a similar ride in the other direction

View attachment 126202 View attachment 126203 View attachment 126204 View attachment 126205 View attachment 126206

Hey Greg, awesome looking trip mate, brilliant pictures tell the story of a great adventure. Im going chiang Mai in December but only time for a 3 day loop this trip, followed by 18 day trip from central to south vietnam. Was thinking about what bike to rent in chiang mai, sounds like the Vstrom 650 is your recommendation, what were the highlights of the bike? Also, daft question but how do you attach the google maps daily activity? All the best Wayne