An Easy Road to Laos - 1 Crosing the border

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Excerpt: Laos is attractive for biking tours, but all roads are not build the same. To avoid the worst and the off-road segments I entered through Muang Ngeun. It is an easy crossing with great itineraries from Chiangmai to Pak Beng and Oudom Xai.

First part of a Laos trip report (2).

The complete photo story can be found at :
http://picasaweb.google.com/campusadvis ... 6874560514

See also:

Part 2 – The Road to Luang-Prabang :
An Easy Road to Laos - 2 The Road to Luang Prabang

Part 3 – Plain of Jars :
An Easy Road to Laos - 3 Plain of Jars

Part 4 - Back to Nong Khai
An Easy Road to Laos - 4. Back to Nong Khai

Preamble

Back Home

The loop is closed, but I will drive it again, leaving the engine off, and trying to revive my dream to share the story. Before my memories fade out, I must record some enthusiastic words about my first motorcycle trip to Laos. It was a great experience and I enjoyed every slice of this 2713 km ride, from Chiangmai to Luang Prabang and back through Nong Khai.

My previous contacts with the country of the “Million of Elephants” were on business trips, to Vientiane only, about twenty years ago and then in 1995, travelling over the newly opened “Friendship Bridge”.

For this first peregrination I have no incident to report, no accident to deplore, not a single crushed dog, no tales about big changes or huge developments, I just had an agreeable ride through delightful sceneries, lush vegetation, remote villages with amicable people and a couple of touristic landmarks. Of course, Laos is now on the travellers map, with open borders (well, nearly) and reasonable infrastructures, but it's no yet invaded and amused visitors still meet amazed locals who wink and smile with loud “sabai dee”.

Preparing the trip

Whilst rambling around North and North-East of Thailand, I frequently meet the majestic Mekong. Following him on hundreds of kilometres, I often gaze across this natural border into less known territories. The temptation to jump over and to discover a fascinating land and the roots of Isan became more and more pressing.

Stories from [GTR] bikers who have “done it” were encouraging. They testify that it is feasible, sometimes on stony roads, muddy trails and over bamboo bridges, but with few administrative hurdles. Finally, they came back smiling. I knew that soon or later I had to traverse the border myself and decided about an auspicious day, somewhere at the beginning of May.

I had visited Chiang Kong some month ago and knew about the ferry and the easy border crossing from that city. I thought that it was one of the two logical passing points for the North, the other being the Nong Khai bridge. From Chiangmai, it is a day drive with a relaxing night at “Tammila Guest House”, before a morning cruise over the Mekong.

With this appealing itinerary in mind I scouted recent “GTR” Laos reports. I was struck by the fact that all bikes were “off road” able. Some pictures of the “trails” were explicit about the hindrances to expect. Then I took the way to “Kafe” were David_fl (1) confirmed the likely difficulties, on some sectors “under renovation”, particularly between Luang Namta and Oudom Xai. The rainy season looked through the door and I wanted to avoid a deep jump in the mud, for my first ride into Laos, solo on a touring gear.

My “plan B”, to avoid the rugged segment, was to cross the “Friendship Bridge” in Nong Khai and to drive back to Thailand through Pak Beng. It was a satisfying alternative, but whilst preparing it, I got another warning. Apparently, the “open border” policy of Laos has some limits. Thai registered motorcycles are not allowed into the country through this point, even if a Farang is driving.

There are still two other possibilities. One is further down, in Paksan, but I was not keen to drive so far South. The other one is in Nan province, the Huay Kon to Muang Ngeun point. For both ways I was not sure to be granted a “visa on arrival” and not amused to drive to the Lao consulate in Kon Khaen. Luckily, I got in touch with Auke (1) who just went through the Huay Kon border, without problems and confirmed the choice of this route to me.

The evening before my departure, I filled out the border papers downloaded from the GTR site and got a last meteorological bulleting from David, announcing some heavy downpours on my itinerary. Actually the depression had already reached Chiangmai, and the night was quite wet.

CNX%20-%20Pak%20Beng%20GM.png

Part one
Huay Kong - Pak Beng crossing point

Up to Chian Klang

DSC_3708.jpg

The rain from the night had cleared the air, leaving some mist attached to the mountains and low clouds playing with the horizon. It was a pleasing cool morning with a pale waxing gibbon vanishing in the early dawn. I started the GPS tracker and flagged down my meter at six o' clock, leaving Maerim toward Sansai on the outer ringroad 121.

Early joggers and cyclists were exercising along the way, enjoying the freshness that I could feel flowing through the mesh of my cloth. When I passed the bridge over the Ping river, a profound happiness arose, the pleasure of a departure and the joy of freedom, unique to two wheels, as I never experience such feelings for journey by car or plane.

After a couple of red lights, I joined route 118, definitively leaving Chiangmai for the North. Progressively the light became stronger, the direct sun being still shaded by remaining clouds. Not stopping for a couple of pictures is not making justice to the itinerary to Mae Kachan. Wat Phra Tat Doi Saket, on his hill, was cut out like a shadow puppet against the bright horizon. A little further, the highway is reduced from four to three lanes and begins to dance and to turn up and down following the curves of the mountain.

Remembering the legend of Mae Nang Kaew, people shortly blow the horn at “Pee Pan Nahm” the limit of Chiangmai and Chiangrai provinces. Khun Chae national park would also be worth a visit but without a first “black shot”, I just went on gliding on the excellent tarmac, till I reached my first scheduled stop, Mae Kachan's Amazon coffee.

DSC_3710.jpg

Climbing smoothly toward Wang Nua, the journey really begins. Route 120 is another trail of the superlatives. When travelling around the North of Thailand we are short of great qualifications for many fabulous itineraries, each one providing renewed pleasures and an impression of uniqueness. On the sector between Mae Kachan and Phayo the pavement is excellent, the landscape gorgeous and the twisting slopes delectable. It leads through doi Luang national park, up to an altitude of 900 meters, with a view point and a small market.

DSC_3711.jpg

DSC_3715.jpg

DSC_3717-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3720-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3726.jpg

DSC_3730.jpg

From Phayao to Chian Kham, “1021” is a straightforward link of 80 kilometres. The fun begins again on route 1148 to Fai Kwang and Song Khwae. This sector is a nice mountain road with a river crossing were I rejoiced at the sight of kids playing and splashing in the water. It's really worth the loop and an agreeable bonus of this “Laos border” itinerary.

DSC_3734.jpg

DSC_3738.jpg

DSC_3739.jpg

DSC_3743.jpg

DSC_3746-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3755.jpg

DSC_3763-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3756-Modifier.jpg

After Song Kwae, a short-cut leads over the mountain, toward Chiang Klang. It must have been a dirt road not so long ago. Now route 1197 is paved (sort of). The first half of his 24 kilometers is quite narrow and irregular, whilst the second part is in good conditions. It's a nice forest promenade, passing a couple of small villages. A lovely food shack, with an open view to the valley, was appealing and I stopped for a noddle lunch.

DSC_3767-2.jpg

DSC_3769-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3774.jpg

DSC_3778-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3780-Modifier.jpg

The last part of the trip is on renewed surface, allowing to fully enjoy the steep curves down to the valley. After 350 kilometres on my odometer, I checked in to Chiang Doi resort, in Chiang Klang.

DSC_3785-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3787-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3789.jpg

DSC_3790-Modifier.jpg

There is not much to do in this sleepy city, particularly out of season. I enjoyed a light meal of fish and vegetables, whilst watching the sunset and the dimming light over the river and the mountains.

DSC_3822-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3817.jpg

Crosing the border (MuangNgeun)

Six o'clock, the repose was long enough and, without breakfast, I was soon on the road again. No real rush, as the border might not open early. It was a gorgeous morning, slightly fresh, with scattered clouds and a light haze. I had already forgotten the weather forecast, or at least, I hoped that I could benefit from a mistake. Route 1180 is pleasant and mostly in good condition, allowing a fast progression.

DSC_3824.jpg

DSC_3833.jpg

DSC_3837-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3839.jpg

“Asian Highway 13” is the other name of the road. It's a little put on and probably refers to the dream of a large network, linking Eastern countries. On the last sector, near his destination, the trail is slightly rugged, but the pleasure of arrival hides these small annoyances. I expected it, but was still amazed to find the border line in the mountains. Usually it follows the Mekong, down in the valley. This sector is an exception, as the mighty river is totally owned by Laos, just after Houei Xai and for quite a while.

DSC_3851-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3853.jpg

DSC_3856.jpg

“Nan Immigration” is a cozy building with a relaxed atmosphere. I parked my bike somewhere and walked to the office with a bunch of filled forms, downloaded from GTR site. Not all were necessary, as I had no passenger. The officer chose to rewrite one on his own paper, as he had made a mistake.

Using the GTR forms has been a good preparation, particularly to be aware of the required informations, even so, in some cases, a different document will finally be used. Another benefit of using these documents is the small financial contribution made to the maintenance of GTR website.

I had forgotten to xerox my passport and the bike's “green book” (first page). A photocopier service is available, a short walk away, but the additional steps could be avoided. After immigration, custom papers are stamped on the right side of the building. A precise re-entry point has to be stated and I got a two weeks permission, as this was what I had asked for.

Arriving just after eight o'clock in the morning, the whole process, on the Thai side, took about twenty minutes. I was supported in the paperwork by helpful and friendly people.

Driving to the Laos control post, I was reminded, at the first lorry encounter, that this country had not been under British rule. No signs are posted, as mistakes are probably less consequent than on the “Friendship bridge” in Nong Khai.

A couple of barracks and a simple barrier mark the border. The immigration office is located fifty meters further down. There was no queue, but formalities took about 40 minutes. People have time to chat and to play cultural quiz, like “what is the difference between Switzerland and Sweden”. Conversation can be done in Thai (probably also in English) and all civil servants are relaxed. The cost for visa on arrival is 35 US dollars, the stamp in the passport is an hundred Thai Baths and 70 for the motorcycle. One ID picture is also required.

On Thai or Lao side, nobody checked or ever looked at the motorcycle.

DSC_3857.jpg

DSC_3862-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3861.jpg

Another check point, just to show the papers and I was done, enjoying the roads of Sayaboury province. A petrol station is right there and I thought that it was appropriate to fill the tank, as you never know where you will find the next one.

I stopped in Muang Ngeun, to buy a sim card. It is cheap, without administrative burden and quite useful, as a signal was available along all the paved roads. In that shop I experimented my first communication hurdle. I was delighted and considered normal to be able to use the Thai language in Laos. But here, only gesticulations were understood. I still got what I needed and learned from the neighbouring stall that these where Chinese people, hardly even fluent in the official language. Later during my trip, I could really experiment and appreciate the large ethnic and cultural diversity of this small country.

DSC_3864-Modifier-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3865-Modifier-2.jpg

DSC_3866.jpg

DSC_3867.jpg

The road over the hills, from Muang Ngeun to the Mekong, is in good conditions. Newly cut, it runs like a scar through the ocre rocks, unwinding a yellow ribbon toward the horizon. The weather was enjoyable, despite some humidity and blurring haze.

DSC_3868-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3871.jpg

DSC_3873.jpg

Another curve, and suddenly the enchanting Mekong was in front of me. He did not seem very healthy at that season, with is meagre flow and stony bones, but I was happy to meet him again. As a couple of touts lured me to their ferry, I paid the requested amount. However, went I spotted the boat, actually two boots assembled with a couple of planks, I was in no mood to enter in an acrobatic adventure. I switched to the reasonably bigger ferry and paid some additional fees. I probably cashed out a total of 120 Thai Baths, nothing to worry about for a smooth cruise toward the North.

DSC_3881-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3882-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3884-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3888.jpg

DSC_3891.jpg

DSC_3900-Modifier.jpg

The road on the left side of the Mekong is under construction, but already a good dirt trail, soon to become an excellent link. Following the river it offers some spectacular views into the valley. As it bypasses the village of Pak Beng, it is easy to miss the entrance and to drive further down, along the Beng river.

DSC_3904-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3907.jpg

DSC_3909.jpg

DSC_3913-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3918-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3921.jpg

In Pak Beng, I checked in to "Boumee Guest house", just at noon. At that time I was one of the very few visitors in town.

DSC_3923.jpg

DSC_3928-Modifier.jpg

Pak Beng is quiet during the day and there is not much to do, other than to enjoy some food and a couple of drinks. The view to the bouldered meander of the Mekong is impressive and ambling along the street, to observe the life and chat with locals, rewarding. I wondered if wearing a helmet was compulsory for bikers and got this smiling answer: “it's not Thailand here”!

As I blundered around the (only) road my face became well known to the locals. Big bikes are still an attraction in Northern Laos and, each time I stopped, I got signs of appreciation and a question about the price of the gear. Kip figures have too many zeros to make the conversion easy and my answers must have been very gross guesses.

The afternoon was hot and humid and many kids were refreshing up in the river. Boats with freight had also arrived and dockworkers were busy like ants to unload and reload the merchandises.

DSC_3930.jpg

DSC_3936.jpg

DSC_3941.jpg

DSC_3956-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3957.jpg

DSC_3967.jpg

DSC_3975.jpg

The excitement begins in the middle of the afternoon, when the first boats, cruising up from Luang Prabang or down from Houei Xai arrive ad the muddy pier. Touts, porters and children hurry down to the landing places, some running for candies, others for customers to channel toward their guest houses. At a private place, with a direct connection to an upmarket hotel, a VIP cruiser also stopped for the night.

Boat after boat, the village got his daily load of tourists drifting along the Mekong. During that season the harvest is not large, but it is an appreciable income, as people are shopping and patronizing the various restaurants during the evening.

DSC_3963.jpg

DSC_3966.jpg

DSC_3968.jpg

DSC_3970.jpg

DSC_3972.jpg

DSC_4000.jpg

DSC_3996-Modifier.jpg

Electricity is still a limited commodity in Pak Beng and only dim lights and neon from shops provide a meagre illumination along the road. Guest houses (at least Moumee) keep power on and ventilators working all night long.

DSC_4003.jpg

DSC_4006.jpg

DSC_4007-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4011-Modifier.jpg

The next day, I woke up early. As baguette an “red wine by the glass” are part of the French legacy in Laos, I was longing for a breakfast. Enjoying the morning view from the balcony, with a hot coffee, was a pleasure that I had no reason to skip, as my scheduled itinerary was quite short.

At seven o'clock, I started my journey toward Oudom Xai, bidding farewell to the Mekong, still dressed with morning haze, and I followed the gorge of river Beng.

DSC_4018.jpg

DSC_4022.jpg

Route «*2 W*» is a delightful treat. The pavement is mostly good, with the exception of short segments covered with earth sliding down the hill and some worn out curves. Filtered by haze or through stratus clouds, sometimes shaded by the forest, the pale morning sun illuminates the landscape, leaving intact the coolness of the dawn.

You do not devour this itinerary, you savour it, loving every piece of the journey, every meter of the travel, curve after curve, you appreciate the freshness of large canopies, the blended scents of the forest and the timeless village life. It would be weird to rush when locals follow a slow pace, it might even be dangerous as the road is shared by the entire population, for all kind of activities. Slowing down allows to greet the people, to enjoy their smiles and to wink to cheerful kids.

«*Sabai Dee*» this ubiquitous lao greeting is more than a salute, it is an affirmation, a exclamation of appreciation and contentment, a mood statement. It means*: «*we are happy that you are here and hope that you like it*».

DSC_4026.jpg

DSC_4031.jpg

DSC_4032.jpg

As the path is cut through a steep sloped mountain, there is no much place left on each side. Hilltribes living on his edge use the surface as a village place, their straw and bamboo shacks hanging over the border of the Beng gorge.

DSC_4033.jpg

DSC_4035.jpg

DSC_4042.jpg

DSC_4044.jpg

DSC_4045.jpg

There is no much distraction in the mountain life and the passage of an alien on a two wheeled mechanic attracts a lot of interest. Kids are playfully running around, adults dare to touch it or fulfil a dream to seat on it.

DSC_4049.jpg

DSC_4051.jpg

DSC_4060.jpg

DSC_4062.jpg

Every woman, regardless of her age, seemed to wear a child in her arms or bundled on her back. This is a good augur for Laos demography, who needs a boost after the losses from war and political exodes.

DSC_4082.jpg

DSC_4083.jpg

DSC_4055.jpg

Suddenly the horizon becomes wider, open on a large plateau circled by mountains. The hamlets are bigger and more organized, they even have name plates and the red capped milestones are engraved with destinations. Some houses are now build in stones, activities are more diversified and cattle replace the small black pigs from the forest communities.

The final part of the trip to Oudom Xai goes again through some forests or along scorched hills with a acrid smell of ashes. During the whole morning, I did not meet a single car, circulation was limited to a couple of lorries and «*Honda*» bikes.

DSC_4078.jpg

DSC_4070.jpg

DSC_4080.jpg

DSC_4086.jpg

DSC_4089.jpg

Arriving in the Oudom Xai, I stopped at Oudom Kham hotel (a recommendation of David) and unloaded the bike for an afternoon tour.

DSC_4194-Modifier-2-Modifier.jpg

DSC_4091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
(2) An Easy Road to Laos

The full trip report is divided in 5 parts. The 4 other pieces have still to be posted

Pramble

Bak home
Preparing the trip

1. Huay Kong - Pak Beng crossing point

1.1 Up to Chian Klang
1.2 Crosing the border (MuangNgeun)
1.3 Pak Beng and route 2W

2. The road to Luang Prabang

2.1 Oudom Xai (and region)
2.2 A night in Nong Khiew (route 13 and 1C)
2.3 Luang Prabang

3. Plain of Jars loop

3.1 Route 7 to the Plain of Jars
3.2 Phonsavan (Xieng Khuang)
3.3 The jars sites

4. Back to Nong Khai

4.1 Vang Vieng
4.2 Nam Ngum lake (route 10)
4.3 Vientiane
4.4 Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai

5. Closing the loop to Chiangmai

5.1 Along the Mekong to Chiang Khan
5.2 Over Phu Rua to Uttaradit
5.3 The final link

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Hi Jurgen,

Great post and even greater pictures. Look forward to the next installments.

Cheers,

Auke

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Jurgen
Welcome back "home."

Your up to your usual high standard of trip reports. I love them - the photos & prose. Very sweet.
:clap: :clap:

Now a few comments
Where’s this on R1148
DSC_3739.jpg

not Ban Hae, or the “next” village?

How much for the rooms at Chiang Doi Resort in Chiang Klang?

Superb
DSC_3822-Modifier-Modifier.jpg

DSC_3817.jpg

I think this petrol station is Thai owned,
DSC_3865-Modifier-2.jpg

a policeman from somewhere, Nan / Chiang Khong? but I forget where.

Incredible how low the river was then eh?
DSC_3972.jpg

DSC_3996-Modifier.jpg

:thumbup:

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank You David !

Shame on me, I could not find the name of the river on any map. It is just after the intersection with R.1160. Geotagging says Phayao/Pu Sang/ Ban Hae … but these names are not always reliable. It's N19° 24'8 E 100° 23'58 ( 19,40240043 – 100,39948685 )

Chiang Doi resort was 300 THB with TV, air con and a swimming pool (without water that day). It is well located, in the centre. I have first visited Rai Juthamas Resort, but it is outside and offered nothing to eat. It might be different in the touristic season, but Chiang Doi was OK for me.

I am grateful for your appreciation as well as for the help that yourself and Auke gave me for the organization of the trip, it really helped me a lot.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Jurgen wrote: Thank You David !

Shame on me, I could not find the name of the river on any map. It is just after the intersection with R.1160. Geotagging says Phayao/Pu Sang/ Ban Hae … but these names are not always reliable. It's N19° 24'8 E 100° 23'58 ( 19,40240043 – 100,39948685 )
Jurgen,

The river is called Nam Mae Lao. It originates in the Tham Sakoen National Park and flows north to Thoeng where it joins the Nam Ing.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Auke wrote: [quote quote=Jurgen]Thank You David !

Jurgen,

The river is called Nam Mae Lao. It originates in the Tham Sakoen National Park and flows north to Thoeng where it joins the Nam Ing.

Thank you Auke, you have very precise information :). My paper maps did not give me these clues. All this region is another nice place on Northern itineraries.

Nov 7, 2007
This is already an awesome trip report, thanks for posting!!! Beautiful pictures! It makes me want to go there now.

How lucky are we that these places are just a stone's throw from where we live?

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Jurgen wrote:
After Song Kwae, a short-cut leads over the mountain, toward Chiang Klang. It must have been a dirt road not so long ago. Now route 1197 is paved (sort of). The first half of his 24 kilometers is quite narrow and irregular, whilst the second part is in good conditions. It's a nice forest promenade, passing a couple of small villages. A lovely food shack, with an open view to the valley, was appealing and I stopped for a noddle lunch.

DSC_3767-2.jpg

The last part of the trip is on renewed surface, allowing to fully enjoy the steep curves down to the valley. After 350 kilometres on my odometer, I checked in to Chiang Doi resort, in Chiang Klang.
Road 1097 has been asphalted already for quite some time (at least since 2001). However, on the ESRI GPS map version 10.1 published this year the road is still shown as an unpaved road. About halfway between the turnoff from Rd 1148 till Chiang Klang there is a nice waterfall (Tat Man Waterfall) north of the road with the access road also asphalted.

Oct 11, 2009
Thanks very much for a really intresting report and fantasic photos. Lots of idea for my next trip trip in November and you o did not need an off road bike which others have confirmed.

safe riding

Paul

Dec 27, 2007
Wow! Absolutely fantastic trip report! I don't know how I missed it before. Beautiful pictures! What time of year was this? I can't seem to find a date anywhere but looks like dry season? Thank you for sharing- now I'm off to read part II! :happy5:

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you Tony ... it was at the beginning of May (two first weeks). Than I had to go to Europe for two month, and now I get itchy fingers on my keyboard to finish the whole report.