Bamboo Palace

Aug 3, 2004
I have just finished reading Christopher Kremmers intriguing book “Bamboo Palace” which is about Laos during the time of the Pathet Lao, particularly in regard to the fate of the Lao Royal Family. I'm sure many of you will have read it.

On page 188 there is an interesting passage;
“The following morning, Richard & I breakfasted on eggs and coffee at the Hin Restaurant, where I enjoyed the anonymity no longer available at Joy’s, while Sousath was off seeing some friends. A small crowd of men and boys had formed outside the place, gawking at a multicoloured motorcycle belonging to a young Westerner named Colin, who’d ridden all the way from Vientiane. In Viengxai the previous day, Colin had been prevented from entering any of the caves for obscure bureaucratic reasons. Deciding to follow the road beyond Souphanouvong’s cave to see where it went he was flagged down after a few kms by villagers, and turned back. “It was like a citizens arrest”, he told us. There was no way I was going to get past them.
Page 189. “You’ve got to wonder what they’re hiding,” said Colin, who was betrothed to a Lao.”
Could this be the Colin of Honda Wave fame ? As near as I can work it out this happened around 1995/96, in the town of Xam Nua.
Peter

"The Journey is the Destination"

Aug 3, 2004
Hi Colin, thanks for clearing that up. If you are looking for somewhere to stay if you're passing through Sisaket we have a spare bed.
Cheers,
Peter

Colin

Feb 14, 2005
Hi Peter
If im passing your way ill drop in and say hello. Am I right in thinking Sisaket is out Buriram way or am I getting it mixed up with somewhere else?

Aug 3, 2004
That’s correct Colin. From Ubon going West on Hwy 226 after 65km is Sisaket another 100km to Surin another 40 to Burirum and then 150 to Korate. Hwy no 24 runs parallel to 226 and about 50km to the South and is a better road. If I recall correctly on your Honda Wave tour you went further South again and hopped along minor roads near the Cambodian border.
I see you have started your tour so enjoy.
Cheers, Peter