Battery Trouble

Dec 1, 2006
As I'm sure you can tell when reading this post, I am not a particularly technical guy. Some of you clearly are, so I hope you can answer my questions.
I know you have all been there: The beloved steel horse has suffered rainy season neglect. You finally decide to take her out for a spin. All excited, you put on your gear, jump on and press the starter button. The answer is a mere tired moan. She is offended! :cry:

Instead of speeding off into the sunrise, you shed your gear and remove the battery. Of course it's Sunday; your local battery store is closed. By the time you find another, get the damn thing charged and finish re-installing it, your enthusiasm has all but vanished.

What are your recommendations?
  • a) Regularly / permanently charge the battery?
    b) Install a voltage meter on the bike?

If you opt for the former, do you take the seat off and hook up the charger to the battery terminals, or do you know of a more convenient setup?
If the latter is your choice, how can you tell whether your battery is strong enough to fire up the engine?

Oh, I ride a 2004 Shadow Aero 750.

Thanks a lot, guys, for your recommendations!

Oct 17, 2006
Batteries only last an average 3 years then they start to not hold a good amperage ., but regular top up with a low charge tender is a good investment.
Or take it out once a month for a gentle slow charge is what I do, check the fluid level and top up with distilled water unless its a gel battery .

jerry

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
My LT has this problem with all electronic gear what is on it that it drains it's batt if stand more than week,, now i know some one already starting to wonder,, belive me that there is lot of discussion about it and why it's like that on BMW bikes pages, but that a side.

So i ordered battery tender from USA (http://batterytender.com/default.php?cP ... c8baa77bbc, 69.95USD)and after that, no problems, can be hooked any time while on garage.
came with in a week and had NO extra tax from customs.

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Battery tender, for sure...
You have to take off the seat to hook it up to the battery terminals.
Or, if you know somebody from the art, you can install 2 wires from these terminals and going through the body to a hidden location where you fit two FEMALE plugs (beware: + and -) on a little plate of aluminium for example. Then you fit two MALE plugs (beware + and -) on the wires of your battery tender... So you have just to plug in and out without taking off the seat.

Just a 2 satangs tips :wink:

Cheers,
Gobs

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for your tips, guys!!

Marco's website seems to say that you can keep the tender hooked up for ages without negative impact on the battery. This would be perfect for me, so I never need to worry. Would you recommend this approach?

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Right Beattheswiss, the battery tender can stay pluged as many days, weeks, months you want.
A built-in electronic device automatically connect/disconnet the charge power as the battery needs...
Good stuff.

Nov 18, 2008
As an automotive electrician for almost 30 years, I agree with all these posts and can add only one piece of info. In the absence of the high-tech equipment, simply disconnect the ground cable from the negative post of the battery when not in use. Quick disconnects are made for this purpose.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
roaddhist wrote: As an automotive electrician for almost 30 years, I agree with all these posts and can add only one piece of info. In the absence of the high-tech equipment, simply disconnect the ground cable from the negative post of the battery when not in use. Quick disconnects are made for this purpose.
My TDM850 now looses it's charge after a couple weeks of sitting idle. As it is not my primary transportation I usually do as recommended above. I just disconnect the battery lead, after all it is just one bolt.

The battery tender sounds like a good idea also. Richco Motorsports HD had them, or at least something similar, a while back but is currently out of stock. If he gets more I will let everyone know.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
beattheswiss wrote: Thanks for your tips, guys!!

Marco's website seems to say that you can keep the tender hooked up for ages without negative impact on the battery. This would be perfect for me, so I never need to worry. Would you recommend this approach?
Beattheswiss

I have it more than yeaar now and never had any problem with bike or battery.

I have made permanent installation for the batter and that quick installation kit(cable) is provided in the set so there is no need to buy anything extra, just hook it in and place it where you can connected any time you want.

I have No negative feed back of it.
here is how it looks on my really dirty engine room.
IMG_1295_resize.jpg

it's the cable what runs cross the frame towards opening hole.
and actually you can see the tender by te bike also.
IMG_1296_resize.jpg

how ever in my bike cable has to taken out manually but in my LT opening seat is easy as it takes few seconds only
IMG_1297_resize.jpg

and here how it is coverd under the seat when seat is down.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Beat,

If you are still in Europe, I suggest the Optimate battery "tender". I've used a couple of these over the years with no problems at all and the great thing with the Optimate is that it comes with an extra cable/plug that you can hardwire to your battery thus leaving it as a simple plug-in operation for when you want to charge.

Probably available from Hein Gericke or Louis.de in your part of the world.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
beattheswiss wrote: Marco said:
So i ordered battery tender from USA (http://batterytender.com/default.php?cP ... c8baa77bbc, 69.95USD)and after that, no problems, can be hooked any time while on garage.
came with in a week and had NO extra tax from customs.
I have decided to order the Battery Tender International. Which one did you get, Continental Europe or Japan?

Jeff, I've been in Asia for 11 years now... :)
Beattswiss

i have continental Europe with flat head electrical plug
i got this by emailing then directly

this was what she reply to me:

Marco,
You can use the Battery Tender Plus International for your application. It
is a waterproof unit and will come with the correct plug for Thailand. The
part number that you need is 022-0139-DL-EU. You can order online at
www.batterytender.com as long as you are having it shipped to a U.S.
address. Have a great day!

Amanda Hester
Customer Service
Deltran Corp.
801 US HWY 92 East
DeLand, FL 32724
(386) 736-7900

Dec 1, 2006
Today I went to Big Twin. They don't carry the Optimate, but they do have the CTEK Smart Charger, a Swedish product that claims to be "The smartest battery charger in the world!" [now haven't we heard that claim before? :wink: ]

Anyhow, the unit costs 3,500 baht and comes with a plug that can be permanently installed on the bike. I have ordered one. They say they'll get the next delivery in a week or two.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
beattheswiss wrote: a Swedish product that claims to be "The smartest battery charger in the world!" [now haven't we heard that claim before? :wink: ]
Swedish always claims that,, 555555 says Finn's,they are just Bunch of wush... :wink:

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Beattheswiss,

Do you leave your bike completely unattended say while you work overseas or just in the garage unused but you are still around?

If the latter Amorn upstairs at Tesco Rama 4 has a small trickle charger which you could plug in overnight every couple of weeks. About 400 baht from memory plus the cost of the plug and cable.

Dec 1, 2006
Excellent, Mike! In fact I'm almost always in town. I work right next to Tesco Rama IV and will check out Amorn's trickle charger. If it can be attached without removing the seat, it's mine! :D

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
You may have to instal a plug so you can do it. That will be the trick part finding a male/female SAE plug which is the best type. Like the left hand one of these
0000_Firstgear_6in_SAE_Connection_to_DC_Coax_Plug_Adapter_Black.jpg

I am in Prakanong. If you need help let me know I could pop down to Tesco for lunch, although Carrefour has a better food court!

If you ever ride the bike to work and need help with the installation I am at the far/Sukhumvit end of Rama IV, near a 7/11 where you can buy the beer!

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I was just there. In the big Amorn store on the left end of aisle near the front window.

Not a sophisticated float charger but will do the job.

IMG0055A.jpg