Beemer Stiptease (Nooo, not what you think)

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Suitable for all.

If you ever wonder how LT will look inside, here is total strip down
as i prepare her to Clutch repair and additional modifications
IMG_1807_2.jpg

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1311.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Well here you are and now you knw,, it's look darn UGLY
So what is on the mod list is by so far
New Head lights HID 5000K low beam and 6000K high
Police siren and flash lights
12v air compressor and 2 outlets where air can be given to every one and i can fill in my own tyres as well.
Reverse gear activated parking censor and display distance meter
and some additional lights
This should take about 1month to do.
Some kind of paint job as well.

but will keep you guys posted :wink:

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Marco,

Courageous enterprise....

Few questions around your modifications:

-What kind of HID will you use (H7 ????, a double one "bi-xenon"?) ? Did you find it in LOS ? Does it come with a small (flat 35 watts) or big ballast (55 watts) ? If you found it in Thailand, how much does it cost ?

-Police siren, where did you find it ?

-Does your changes will affect the guenuine electrical circuit of the bike, will it display an error ? If not what do you do to avoid it ?

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
THAT is why I sold my LT. After having to do exactly what Marco is doing now AND taking the back half of the bike off. Just to replace the clutch slave cylinder, let alone the clutch itself. Pix to follow.

Routine inspection reveals hyd fluid seepage from slave input line
Slave1.jpg

So get to work stripping her down
slave8.jpg

Slave6.jpg

Get the line out of there and the metal fitting is badly corroded from the rubber sheath trapping moisture

Slave4.jpg

Get new line from dealer and "Circumsize" and tie off to prevent future rot.
Slave2.jpg

New slave installed with tied off hyd line

Slave5.jpg

Marco, highly recommended to replace the slave and line since you are in there already. Would hate to see you go through all that again soon.

Then the rear drive failed, then the ABS hydraulic unit, etc, etc. Contrast that with the FJR, replaced throttle position sensor under recall as the only mech repair in 43K miles. The LT is a fabulous bike out on the road, but I enjoy riding much more than turning wrenches these days. Good luck on that one Marco, after this you should open your own repair shop as you can tackle anything now. Get ready to find a 2 meter long pipe for a breaker bar to remove the swingarm bolt. :evil:

Attachments

• Slave5.jpg
    Slave5.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 82
  • Slave2.jpg
    Slave2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 90
  • Slave4.jpg
    Slave4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 81
  • Slave6.jpg
    Slave6.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 85
  • slave8.jpg
    slave8.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 86
  • Slave1.jpg
    Slave1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 84

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Hey Marco I thought I was finally going to see something sexy on this site but no, your bikes like a Woman take her makeup off and she no longer looks the part -haha.
Anyhow great example of pictures helping like bike owners for Tech info, good stuff.

Regards Ken F

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
AZOULAY wrote: Hi Marco,

Courageous enterprise....

Few questions around your modifications:

-What kind of HID will you use (H7 ????, a double one "bi-xenon"?) ? Did you find it in LOS ? Does it come with a small (flat 35 watts) or big ballast (55 watts) ? If you found it in Thailand, how much does it cost ?

-Police siren, where did you find it ?

-Does your changes will affect the guenuine electrical circuit of the bike, will it display an error ? If not what do you do to avoid it ?
Hi Azoulay
I ordered HID from USA DDM turning, they are made for beemer and plug&Play 45US+Shipping 32, fare deal
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?pcsid=tga2i87oum0ekefpdqirsh8mi7&p=catalog&parent=61&pg=1
Slim 55W ballast
Police siren from Local car spare shop 600THB
Police flash lights from Ebay (HK) 10USD+12USD shipping
under the bike show lights, from Ebay 25US+25US shipping
Air comp ordered from Ebay 45US+Shipping 25US, that needed modifications and will provide picturial when actual installation will take place.

All these bit's, will not effect in any electrical circut as they are working from they own electrical and fuced box
Remember here that im seaman and not bike builder or electrician, when im stucked i cme back to my comp and look beemer manual and i will get by again.

it's like when one buy something and in the item it's clearly states that READ manual before doing anything,,,right??
i do first and when get stucked then read manual,, im sure many of us doing in same way :roll:

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
siinthai wrote: Marco..hope you don't find any leftover bits putting that lot back together !
Siintai

yep that is the hardest part, but i lerned from my previous stipdown,,now im using for extreamy soficticated storing system,,Plastic bags,,for each side i have place all nuts and bit in to designated plasit bag and marked that bag with permanent marker...LOL

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
feejer wrote: THAT is why I sold my LT. After having to do exactly what Marco is doing now AND taking the back half of the bike off. Just to replace the clutch slave cylinder, let alone the clutch itself. Pix to follow.

Routine inspection reveals hyd fluid seepage from slave input line
Slave1.jpg

So get to work stripping her down
slave8.jpg

Slave6.jpg

Get the line out of there and the metal fitting is badly corroded from the rubber sheath trapping moisture

Slave4.jpg

Get new line from dealer and "Circumsize" and tie off to prevent future rot.
Slave2.jpg

New slave installed with tied off hyd line

Slave5.jpg

Marco, highly recommended to replace the slave and line since you are in there already. Would hate to see you go through all that again soon.

Then the rear drive failed, then the ABS hydraulic unit, etc, etc. Contrast that with the FJR, replaced throttle position sensor under recall as the only mech repair in 43K miles. The LT is a fabulous bike out on the road, but I enjoy riding much more than turning wrenches these days. Good luck on that one Marco, after this you should open your own repair shop as you can tackle anything now. Get ready to find a 2 meter long pipe for a breaker bar to remove the swingarm bolt. :evil:
Feejer

Nice to hear from you and it's like you read my mind...
IMG_1326.jpg

In the plastic bag is Slave cylinder and all bit's needed for that and i saw in your picture that you had "weep hole also drilled,,i dont have that yet,but it's on working list.

I also have seals for rear end "pinion seal, Gear seal and Rear Transmission Seal

almost forgot this is picture of HID 5000K H7 and other is H3
IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

Slim 55W ballast from DDM Turning

Attachments

• slave8.jpg
    slave8.jpg
  • Slave4.jpg
    Slave4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 76
  • Slave2.jpg
    Slave2.jpg
  • Slave1.jpg
    Slave1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Slave5.jpg
    Slave5.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 80

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
KenYam wrote: Hey Marco I thought I was finally going to see something sexy on this site but no, your bikes like a Woman take her makeup off and she no longer looks the part -haha.
Anyhow great example of pictures helping like bike owners for Tech info, good stuff.

Regards Ken F
Ken

Nooo,, we keep it clean here :wink:
all that additional fun is happening when bike is up and running and way way from home :twisted:

I like to share of my self learning experience with others and same time i might pick up few noted and advice from others as well like from Feejer,he use to have on and have gone through this same problem earlier, this is where fellow bikers learning from each other.

more to come in future days.......

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Every bike has at least one weak spot, and with the old K-Series it's the clutch. Since it is between the engine and the tranny it's a real hassle if anything related goes wrong. I once bought an old K100RS for $400 US - the owner told me that's how much it took to find out what the problem was. It was the starter clutch, also way in there. I parted the bike out since it was old and I needed some parts. The speedos and fuel pumps were also weak spots.

Oct 17, 2006
Marco

the light stuff is interesting, my Silverwing has very poor light. Will ask Joe, if we can use your suggestion.

2. reverse gear makes my ears always pop up, because with my sidecar a reverse gear would be very handy. Looked at the GoldWing but too pompous for my taste. . I am not a ...true... biker, I hate to admit, the photos dont tell me= What bike are you riding exactly?
Does it come with a reverse gear?
Where to get?
Pico

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Pico-Pico

my "A.K.A. Panzar Wagen is 2004 BWM K 1200LT

LT has reverce gear and its handy sometime, but honestly have to say,i use it very seldomly, even LT weighs abt 420KG it's still moving easilly when parking by "foot"

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
KZ wrote: Every bike has at least one weak spot, and with the old K-Series it's the clutch. Since it is between the engine and the tranny it's a real hassle if anything related goes wrong. I once bought an old K100RS for $400 US - the owner told me that's how much it took to find out what the problem was. It was the starter clutch, also way in there. I parted the bike out since it was old and I needed some parts. The speedos and fuel pumps were also weak spots.
Hi KZ

so true, LT has that cluthc problem still, even new 08 models still has it, 09 so far havent heard but i assume itäs still there, BUT have to say that one, factory made 1st set of Clutch plates and Slave cylinder been changed, itäs not or atleast last waaay longer, usually itäs one time experience and should last from then onwards

Oct 17, 2006
As the LT is in the same class as the GoldWing, did you ever consider it and what were your criteria for the BMW?

As I said the reverse gear might be a saver, for me at least. LT plus sidecar+ load+ 1 lame leg = over 600kg. Easy to get stuck in a corner which is only a bit downhill.
The top heaviness is not a problem for me because the vehicle is always on three wheels.
I found this well written write-up.
http://www.kevinboone.com/mc-k1200lt.html

Does it summarize your own experience as well?
Pico

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Marco wrote:

Feejer

Nice to hear from you and it's like you read my mind...
IMG_1326.jpg

In the plastic bag is Slave cylinder and all bit's needed for that and i saw in your picture that you had "weep hole also drilled,,i dont have that yet,but it's on working list.

I also have seals for rear end "pinion seal, Gear seal and Rear Transmission Seal

Whoa. Good eyes there. I forgot I drilled that weep hole. But yes, very important as you know. Keeps any nasty hyd fluid from getting all over that spanking new clutch. Great idea on the HID, the headlight was another weak design on the LT. A mod I never got around to doing.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 96

Muzz

Mar 27, 2007
Marco, can I ask, what is the fastestyou can do in reverse on your BM :D

Just a joke, but I have never riddena bike with a reverse gear before...

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Muzz wrote: Marco, can I ask, what is the fastestyou can do in reverse on your BM :D

I only used it once when I made a wrong turn into a gravel deadend parking lot with the Mrs. on back. Too tight to turn the fat pig around, so just turn the gear indicator to reverse and push the starter button and you go back nice and slow. Its a huge machine and without that reverse, it would have taken 3 men and a boy to get me straightened out in that gravel.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
PICO-PICO wrote: As the LT is in the same class as the GoldWing, did you ever consider it and what were your criteria for the BMW?

As I said the reverse gear might be a saver, for me at least. LT plus sidecar+ load+ 1 lame leg = over 600kg. Easy to get stuck in a corner which is only a bit downhill.
The top heaviness is not a problem for me because the vehicle is always on three wheels.
I found this well written write-up.
http://www.kevinboone.com/mc-k1200lt.html

Does it summarize your own experience as well?
Pico
Pico-Pico

Nice article, and yes i have readed that earlier before i even got my LT

regarding desission to get LT vs GW
i did look GW first and was in process to get one from LA, but the guy who is operation in BKK was not so honest on his attemts, and no i did not pay him anything so there was no lost of money, just falce information and no action from his side.

any how, then 1 day i was reading Ride thailand online magazine and found this and after normal thai bargain and 1mths exchanging emails we made a deal and i was not even home that time, so i got bike, by only looking for pictures as i did my study and talked many guys in my network.
i'm really happy abt it and it's takes me just enough speed from A to B, sometimes to C as well :wink:
My normal riding speed hardly exceed 120Kmh and with Cruise controll LT consumes 5L per 100Km, in some long hauls i have gone down to 4.7L/100Km

LT also has better fuel economic's than GW, but GW has bigger engine as well(1800cc)

As you ride side car, have you ever consider to get "Trike" as that is way easier to ride and there is many LT's converted as a Trike.

Hopefully this anwers your question 8)

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Muzz wrote: Marco, can I ask, what is the fastestyou can do in reverse on your BM :D

Muzz

I can say that i beat "Snail" on the reverce speed, so no wheelies at all.

How the reverce is working is simple, it uses starter engine in reverce, so there is no speed but it will take LT back wards, how ever it will not going up hill, there is not that much power.

One thing is so funny, every time you want to get "world" to stop around you,, in any parking lot or gas station,,, just use reverce and people stop wondering,, :wink: thai are just so amazed when they see bike has reverce gear.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Feejer

I have gooe eye site and every time one shows pic on "Slave" cylinder it custom to look if one is having one done,, :wink:

as you know previous LT owner know these things.

Regarding how heavy LT actually is, when i went off last Nov in the CM tour, it took 10 thai men + Pick up car to pushpull me back on the road, even i was only bike leght off in the ditch,but in 30decree angle down wards.
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 87

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
How did you end up in the bush? Some crazy truck driver come at you wide in the corner? At least your exhaust/catalyst didnt set the grass and bike on fire. Seen that happen before and it happens fast too. Scary!