Border run.

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Planning a ride from Golden Triangle
SW on roads closest to Thai/Myanmar.
Guessing some may be unpaved or semi-paved.
Prolly drop down somewhere MHS prov.
Likely on CB150.

Any insights would be appreciated.
;-)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
check out this gtr guide to riding the North

Reactions: Alamo

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Yes sir,
could not agree more.
CM, #1.
Will be renting CB150 from
Mango there.
Buddha willing.

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
Planning a ride from Golden Triangle
SW on roads closest to Thai/Myanmar.
Guessing some may be unpaved or semi-paved.
Prolly drop down somewhere MHS prov.
Likely on CB150.

Any insights would be appreciated.
;-)
Most importantly, when? Living where I do near Tha Ton I may be able to help with info or even a few short rides but need to know when. And for how long?

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Is it ok to ride these little roads that weave back & forth across the border?
The western part seems dirt.
little roads border.png
Ernies

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Check these out

R1149 features on GTR here
Cnx - Mae Sai - Doi Tung - Doi Mae Salong - Cnx

Chiang Rai to Mae Sai on the scenic 1149 via Doi Tung.

Rockers up Doi Tung

North Thailand - 1 The quest for the Lauging Buddha

R1149 The Doi Tung Road you tube video

Check out the Pha Bur road here

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
Been busy a few days. I see Davids already listed a few of the great rides around Doi Tung, Mae Salong and Thoerd Thai area. Tyen there's a loop from Tha Ton to Wawi up to Doi Chang and back down the 109 to Fang. From Fang there's a nice ride up to Little House in the big forest, across to Prahompok national park camp site and back to Fang but this may entail a National Park fee. Then there is the ride up to Doi Angkarn and the smaller road to Arunothai. From there its more mountains to Piang Luang and Wiang Haeng and finally out at Chiang Dao. The time of year is difficult. It could be like today, very strong sun with a few billowing clouds or it could be pissing down for 2 days. The roads do get a bit more dangerous with heavy rain, running water and debris washed onto the surface but its not being able to see the terrific views that is the biggest bummer. There are times when even the optimistic Mr Unkovic has been forced to sit out massive storms in the mountains or run to a guest house when the rain was heavy enough you couldn't see 30m ahead. I have done much of this on a small bike and on a few occasions found being able to pick up a fallen bike on your own was a saving grace. I am certainly not trying to put you off, there is often whole weeks when it doesn't rain and days when we get a bit of everything and the sunny bits make up for the dull ones. Keep in touch and maybe I can join you for a day out.

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
Is it ok to ride these little roads that weave back & forth across the border?
The western part seems dirt.
View attachment 148332Ernies
I'm sure there was a trip report just a few months ago from Luca who rode out of chiangrai on a small bike and then up to doi tung. I think it was these small border roads he was on visiting hill tribe villages all the way to thoerd thai. From there he even took the pony tracks up to mae salong.

Reactions: Alamo

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Been busy a few days. I see Davids already listed a few of the great rides around Doi Tung, Mae Salong and Thoerd Thai area. Tyen there's a loop from Tha Ton to Wawi up to Doi Chang and back down the 109 to Fang. From Fang there's a nice ride up to Little House in the big forest, across to Prahompok national park camp site and back to Fang but this may entail a National Park fee. Then there is the ride up to Doi Angkarn and the smaller road to Arunothai. From there its more mountains to Piang Luang and Wiang Haeng and finally out at Chiang Dao. The time of year is difficult. It could be like today, very strong sun with a few billowing clouds or it could be pissing down for 2 days. The roads do get a bit more dangerous with heavy rain, running water and debris washed onto the surface but its not being able to see the terrific views that is the biggest bummer. There are times when even the optimistic Mr Unkovic has been forced to sit out massive storms in the mountains or run to a guest house when the rain was heavy enough you couldn't see 30m ahead. I have done much of this on a small bike and on a few occasions found being able to pick up a fallen bike on your own was a saving grace. I am certainly not trying to put you off, there is often whole weeks when it doesn't rain and days when we get a bit of everything and the sunny bits make up for the dull ones. Keep in touch and maybe I can join you for a day out.
thx or the replies.
Been studying the maps & getting excited.
Been rained on before, no biggie.
Prolly will be on a 150cc.
Prolly can pick it up.
Depends.
I've lost track of how many times I've dropped it/
wrecked on the road.
Off-road, like hundreds.
5 5

Alamo

Subscribed
Nov 6, 2014
Looks like the CB150 at Mango in CM won't be available.
Riders Corner looks like they can have a
Lifan X200 dual-sport available.
That will do just fine.