First Time Up North

Tejas Barc

SEAsia nOoB
Aug 28, 2019
Khon Kaen
The wife and I are considering about a week long trip up north in most of your backyards. Will be first time in the north for me with so much to see and so little time. So looking for a few highlights along the way or out of the way we shouldn't miss. Hopefully, I can get a few tips from some of the wealth of knowledge here.
IMG_20200904_094127.jpg

We're leaning towards heading to Pai possibly a preliminary scouting trip for relocation. Would love to head towards Chiang Rai but not enough time this trip.

Will be breaking the trip up and back into 2 travel days each way still will be about 7:30 hour days with stops included. So roughly 3 days to go around when we get there. I like to stay a little in a place to get the feel of it so I don't want to be on the bike all day every day. Smell the roses a bit.

I was in the restaurant business so very much into food and restaurants. Wife likes coffee shops..maybe some places to stay nothing too high end.
Tips on that can help.
Thanks for any suggestions and input.

Barclay

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian Bungy

Tejas Barc

SEAsia nOoB
Aug 28, 2019
Khon Kaen
Awesome ! Thanks for the ideas everyone. I knew one week would be very short considering 4 of the days is travel time. We will need to reconsider our amount of time or our goals for this trip.
Love the tour planning link haven't seen that before.
Been to Loei several times, Chiang kahn, Phu Ruea and Dan Sai but haven't darkened the doorway of the Saloon bar yet...next time.

Wish we could coincide trip with a gtr meet-up. We have some things that must get done here first before we can get away so have some time to plan.
Thanks again all.
Barclay

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Awesome ! Thanks for the ideas everyone. I knew one week would be very short considering 4 of the days is travel time. We will need to reconsider our amount of time or our goals for this trip.
Love the tour planning link haven't seen that before.
Been to Loei several times, Chiang kahn, Phu Ruea and Dan Sai but haven't darkened the doorway of the Saloon bar yet...next time.

Wish we could coincide trip with a gtr meet-up. We have some things that must get done here first before we can get away so have some time to plan.
Thanks again all.
Barclay

The last Wednesday of the month is the GTR Up-Countty dinner met up.
So the next one is Wednesday 30th September & will probably be in Tha Ton.

Some other GTR links for places to go & see
Day Rides

Overnight Rides

Chiang Rai Province

Chiang Rai Province

Phayao Province

Nan Province

Reactions: Tejas Barc

Andrew

Dec 25, 2016
Australia
On road 1095 to Pai, 32 Coffee Resort, I have never stay there but they have good coffee and food, beautiful surrounds. Great place to chill.

Reactions: Tejas Barc

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
An alternative to your planned route you could think about would be to ride to Tak, and ride HWY 1175 (not HWY 12) over to HWY 105 and north to Mae Sariang, spend a night there or on to Mae Hong Son, then Pai.
Annotation 2020-09-10 092645.png

Oddvars plan would also be a great ride, which you could incorporate HWY 1026 which curranty my favorite road.

Uttaradit To Nan Via Sirikit Dam. Another Must Do Ride.