Hood Jeans, Are They Fit For The Thai Climate?

Apr 2, 2008
Phuket
www.bmwoverlander.com
I tried them, not bad. But then I came across BMW Kevlar Denim Jeans. Got about 5-6 pairs of riding pants but these are my favorites, been using same pair since 2012.

s-l300.jpg

P3120188.jpg

BMW Genuine Motorcycle City 2 Denim pants - size XL - Color indigo 76127726011

Nomade

Apr 21, 2016
Bangkok/Oslo
thailandtur.no
Do you use these Hood jeans at all?
If not what are you using now for riding here?

No, I just stumbled over their website a few days ago so I have no experience with their gear.

Have been based in Bangkok for the last 3-4 years, but I only ride a regular scooter here. Don`t have any real riding pants, but I use these cargo pants from 5.11 Tactical. Quite strong and durable in my opinion. RipStop Cargo Pants -Taclite Pro Pants | Official 5.11 Site

Apr 23, 2006
My Hood jeans are over 11 years old & still OK
They have the Kevlar lining but no armor. OK for winter season but too hot for summer here.

rcm273

Nov 3, 2013
Hat Yai, TH
Nice review there David, I checked out their website. But their pants are only in black? For tropical use they really should have kaki or stone washed colors?

Any experience ordering from their website?( I live in Bangkok)

Yes, I have an assero tool roll, I wrote a review somewhere here.

You can speak to James, from Assero on LINE - he's a real helpful guy, knows his stuff about fabric.

I have a cheap pair of mesh textile trousers from 320SP in Wong Wien Yai ( black ) they have cheap knee protection and mesh strips to let the air flow. I try to forget how cheap they are when I'm riding.

I don't agree about the colours, I had a black fabric white plastic mesh jacket by Rev'it - now I have a black fabric mucky grey coloured mesh on the front and pearl white on the back. Light colours just get grubby, black is OK. I think whatever works for you is best.

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
My mesh jacket is silver. Light enuf to be as cool as you can expect and dark enuf that it does not show dirt too bad. Bought years ago - is a HD brand but am sure made by a third party. Holding up well. Still searching for hot weather mesh pants I can live with. My last item. But been looking for a while - years in fact. Would like hip and knee armor, but no joy. Probably go with the AStar padded shorts and velcro knee protectors.

Nomade

Apr 21, 2016
Bangkok/Oslo
thailandtur.no
I don't agree about the colours, I had a black fabric white plastic mesh jacket by Rev'it - now I have a black fabric mucky grey coloured mesh on the front and pearl white on the back. Light colours just get grubby, black is OK. I think whatever works for you is best.

Nah, I will not order black pants ;)

I might try out one order from Hood Jeans, and get it sendt to my home country in Scandinavia. I`m a frequent traveler between Oslo/Bangkok. And then try out one of their jeans, if too hot for Thailand I still can use it in Oslo as I have a bike there also.

jimboy

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 28, 2010
South-East Asia
www.asserogear.com
Nice review there David, I checked out their website. But their pants are only in black? For tropical use they really should have kaki or stone washed colors?

Any experience ordering from their website?( I live in Bangkok)

We would like to make some pants in a different color too! The reality is that demand for black pants is about 100:3 for other colors. When one is buying fabric in 1000 yard minimums, it would take several years to sell the other colors... Sad, but true.

What I would really like to find is a textile mill other than Schoeller of Switzerland who can integrate a UV reflectivity into the dye chemistry we use with Nylon 6.6. We've tried sourcing it in Asia. It used to be available but isn't anymore. Not sure why.

To answer the OP's questions fully, ordering from our website is dreamy! :) Seriously, we have stock in CM from which we fulfill TH orders via EMS. And I often meet customers in BKK to show them our gear. There will be a number of stockists in Bangkok in due course. We are in discussion with various chains of motorcycle shops. Oddly, the retailers in Kuala Lumpur got to the front of the queue first so you can buy Assero Gear in Sunny Cycles and MotoStyleStore and a few others in KL already. I need to switch focus back to Bangkok now.

As for Hood Jeans. AFAIK, their quality is really good. If I was living in the UK I would consider them. But denim in Thailand is a bit hot since air doesn't flow through the fabric freely. That said, it's 41C today and anything would be hot.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
C
We would like to make some pants in a different color too! The reality is that demand for black pants is about 100:3 for other colors. When one is buying fabric in 1000 yard minimums, it would take several years to sell the other colors... Sad, but true.

What I would really like to find is a textile mill other than Schoeller of Switzerland who can integrate a UV reflectivity into the dye chemistry we use with Nylon 6.6. We've tried sourcing it in Asia. It used to be available but isn't anymore. Not sure why.

To answer the OP's questions fully, ordering from our website is dreamy! :) Seriously, we have stock in CM from which we fulfill TH orders via EMS. And I often meet customers in BKK to show them our gear. There will be a number of stockists in Bangkok in due course. We are in discussion with various chains of motorcycle shops. Oddly, the retailers in Kuala Lumpur got to the front of the queue first so you can buy Assero Gear in Sunny Cycles and MotoStyleStore and a few others in KL already. I need to switch focus back to Bangkok now.

As for Hood Jeans. AFAIK, their quality is really good. If I was living in the UK I would consider them. But denim in Thailand is a bit hot since air doesn't flow through the fabric freely. That said, it's 41C today and anything would be hot.
Can you hit us with a list of Thai outlets where we can see or buy Assero pants?

Nomade

Apr 21, 2016
Bangkok/Oslo
thailandtur.no
I actually ordered a pair of their cargo jeans, and tested it on my last trip to Bangkok.(Just come back to Oslo this morning) Cargo Jean Mens Green - Hood Motorcycle Jeans I`m quite pleased with the fit and comfort of the jeans. Off course hot and humid in the slow Bangkok traffic, but I got used to wearing a bit thicker pants than usual. They sure look and feel like a quality product, lets hope I dont`t get to test them sliding on tarmac ;)
Brought them back with me and will continue to use them here until my next trip to Thailand in late august.
M-GREEN-CARGO-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• M-GREEN-CARGO-1-1.jpg
    M-GREEN-CARGO-1-1.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 209