Minnesota to New York via Canada! Father and son summer road trip 2014!

Dec 27, 2007
Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park Visitor Center and the most expensive campsite ever! :mrgreen:

We followed the Acadia National Park Loop Road to Bar Harbor where we stopped for a well earned ice cream and to figure out where we'd sleep for the night. A beautiful tall ship in the harbor-
img_3918.jpg

Well deserved ice cream for the little guy :)
img_3917.jpg

Land Yacht still looking good with over 100,000 miles under her belt :)
img_3916.jpg

Sadly the Black Woods campground in Acadia was completely booked. Well, we were pretty much out of clean clothes and needed to do laundry so I looked up the nearest KOA- >$80 for a tent site!
img_3906.png

$80 for a camp spot?? What's up with that??!? A couple shots of our camping spot. Not terrible, but certainly not worth 80 bucks...
img_4022.jpg

img_4024.jpg

On our way to the KOA we stopped at the Acadia National Park Visitor Center so that Kristhawee could have a Ranger look over his workbook so that he could collect his Junior Ranger badge. Bravo son! :clap:
img_3912.jpg

We went for a stroll before dark and Kristhawee met some nice kids to play with. There was an old timer serving up lobster dinners, corn on the cob and clam chowder- good stuff! :thumbup:
img_3910.jpg

img_3909.jpg

Tomorrow we ride to New Hampshire!! :mrgreen:
img_3907.png

Dec 27, 2007
Paul Bunyon and Babe the Blue Ox in Rumford, Maine

We left Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park and road west passing through Bangor, Maine and eventually stopping for a rest in the cool old town mill town of Rumford where I was delighted to find a statue of American folk hero Paul Bunyon along with Babe his Blue Ox :)
img_4570.jpg

img_4571.jpg

img_4566.jpg

The original Paul Bunyon statue is in Bemidji, Minnesota and I enjoyed telling Kristhawee all about this colorful folk hero and his adventures with Babe. Here’s a fun Paul Bunyon movie from Disney that I look forward to sharing with my son :)

The rest area where we discovered Paul Bunyon was on a beautiful reservoir which powered a hydro dam.

img_4569.jpg

img_4568.jpg

The clouds were looking ominous above Paul’s smiling face so we put on our rain gear and pressed on towards New Hampshire!
img_4572.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Trading in the Land Yacht for a canoe! Father and Son paddle Lake Umbagog, New Hampshire!

We were riding west to New Hampshire with no particular destination in mind; I thought we’d end up in the White Mountains but for some reason that I don’t recall we headed a bit north until we hit Lake Umbagog State Park in Coos County, NH. What really appealed to me was the fact that Lake Umbagog has a bunch of remote paddle-in campsites that are accessible only by boat and that the lake was rated top 5 in New England for kayaking and canoeing and is also known as a fantastic fishing lake. Welcome to Lake Umbagog State Park!
dscn1550.jpg

There’s our canoe! We’ll give the Land Yacht a few days off ;)
image.jpg

We’re off! I’ve always loved canoeing; Kristhawee looks like he’s enjoying himself too!
image1.jpg

We launched from the very south end of the lake, paddled straight north across Sargent Cove, then hugged the western shoreline until we found our spot-
image2.jpg

There’s our destination up ahead on the left!
image3.jpg

We made it!
image4.jpg

This will do nicely! A big beautiful campsite with lake views a picnic table, fire ring, latrine and a camping platform!
dscn1556.jpg

dscn1558.jpg

After setting up camp Kristhawee was keen to get out for a paddle and try some fishing. Let’s go!
image5.jpg

A good look at our campsite from the lake-
image8.jpg

Father and son enjoying some quality time at Lake Umbagog, New Hampshire!
image6.jpg

Getting late- let’s head back to camp!
image7.jpg

I’d been saving this cigar to celebrate hitting the 100,000 mile mark on the Land Yacht but at the time just wasn’t in the mood. Tonight was the perfect opportunity to enjoy a good cuban smoke! :thumbup:
dscn1567.jpg

lakeumbagogmap.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Good morning from Umbagog Lake State Park, NH!
image30.jpg

Kristhawee wanted to fish, and they sure were biting today!!! First little bass:
image12.jpg

Shortly after he hooked into a big one! Fighto! :mrgreen:
image15.jpg

Yeah, that's a keeper!!!
image16.jpg

Wow did we find the spot! Kristhawee was having a blast and I was too!
image18.jpg

My happy boy :)
image19.jpg

We paddled north along the west shore of Lake Umbagog; here we are exploring a glassy lily pad covered bay-
image20.jpg

Enjoying a picnic lunch in the canoe with a big old beaver lodge in the background-
image21.jpg

Parts of the lake are roped off to protect nesting loons-
image22.jpg

A bit further on we stopped at a tiny island where we discovered a rustic old cabin. There weren't any "no trespassing" signs posted so we took a short break there before continuing on-
image23.jpg

Lots of birds on Umbagog Lake, hawks, eagles, ducks, loons and here's a Merganser with chicks-
image24.jpg

Paddling by another campsite we spotted canoes but no sign of the occupants-
image25.jpg

More fish! This time a northern pike!
image26.jpg

Kristhawee caught a northern pike on Lake Umbagog :)

Back at camp Kristhawee shows off his biggest catch- a small mouth bass!
image27.jpg

Hmmm, I really did not come prepared to filet a fish! Did my best with the short stubby blade on my multitool. Not easy, but I got it done!
image28.jpg

Believe it or not, my kid wanted to fish some more! :D
image32.jpg

There was a small shallow "bay" of sorts on the southern edge of our campground where I let him paddle about and fish to his heart's content :)
image34.jpg

Kristhawee fishing on Lake Umbagog
image35.jpg

Bravo Kristhawee- you caught us more fish than we can eat! :clap:
image36.jpg

The little guys don't even need to be filleted- just throw them on the fire and enjoy!
image37.jpg

Fresh fish is on the menu!
image38.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Kristhawee was keen to get out for another paddle before dark; who am I to argue with such a great plan :)
image39.jpg

As afternoon faded into evening Lake Umbagog became calm and glassy-
image44.jpg

Guess what's on the menu for dinner? You got it- FISH! ;)
image40.jpg
image41.jpg

Note to self- next time bring some tinfoil and seasoning. Fresh fish is awesome but needs a bit more than just salt and pepper!

Lots of critters in and around our campsite. After dark there were a bunch of these toads hopping around- had to be careful where you stepped!
image47.jpg

Good night! :mrgreen:

Dec 27, 2007
Time flies when you're having fun! I wish we could spend more time exploring the natural beauty of Umbagog Lake but it was time for us to continue west. Today's destination are the White Mountains of New Hampshire! But first I have to try and wake up the little guy ;)
image48.jpg

Good morning sleepy head!
image50.jpg

Thanks for helping with breakfast son!
image51.jpg

This was our third day on the lake and we had our duties in the canoe well sorted- I paddle, Kristhawee fishes :)
image52.jpg

Another northern pike! This is a seriously awesome fishing lake!!
image54.jpg

We gave back the canoe and loaded up the Land Yacht for our ride to the White Mountains. Ready to roll!
image56.jpg

Bye bye Umbagog Lake! We certainly enjoyed our time here!
image57.jpg

Umbagog Lake State Campground, NH, USA

A Google Earth capture of some of our paddling :)
July10UmbagogPaddleMap.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
After our relaxing time at Umbagog Lake it felt great to get back on the Land Yacht and hit the open road! We're not going far today; only about 90 miles, starting off with beautiful Highway 16, aka the Berlin Road which takes us from Erroll down to Gorham which is on the northern edge of the White Mountains-

image1.jpg

image.jpg

image2.jpg

Doesn't look like New England, does it?!
image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image7.jpg

A quick lunch stop in Gorham and we continue south on the White Mountain Road-
image8.jpg

We passed the Mount Washington Auto Road- we'll revisit this later when we're not carrying such a heavy load!
image9.jpg

image12.jpg

I wanted to try a National Forest Campground, but Kristhawee prefers State Parks as he claims there are more kids to play with. He's quite right, actually :)
image11.jpg

Lots of ski resorts around here- I bet this place is fun in the winter!
image13.jpg

Zoomin! :happy3:

image14.jpg

image15.jpg

New England is famed for its covered bridges- this is the first of many that we spotted in the coming days-
image16.jpg

At the tiny little town of Glen Junction we hang a right and ride west on the Crawford Notch Highway 302- not bad, not bad at all!
image17.jpg

Welcome to the White Mountain National Forest!
image18.jpg

White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire, USA

We had no reservations and it was a Friday so I was a bit worried that the Crawford Notch State Park might be full, so to Kristhawee's dismay, we made a quick stop just south to check out a National Forest Campground-
image19.jpg

It was a bit too far of a hike from the road to the actual campground (about half a mile) and as we have no easy way to carry all our gear we decided to press on, stopping along the way for a quick pic on the old railroad trestle.

You might not guess it from the picture, but these tracks are still in use!

image20.jpg

A bit further up the road we arrived at Crawford Notch State Park and the Dry River Campground where luck was on our side and we grabbed an awesome walk in site that was deep in the forest and close to the dry river, which was anything but!
image23.jpg

A GPX map of today's ride-

umbagogtowhitemountainsmap.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Father and Son explore Crawford Notch State Park, White Mountains, New Hampshire!

Our home base for exploring the White Mountains was the Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch State Park. 44.1575, -71.36389
DryRiverCampgroundMap.jpg

First order of business- a short ride to a nearby general store to get some supplies before the sun sets-
image60.jpg

I know I know, ATGATT, but sometimes you just want to feel the wind on your skin!
image24.jpg

We went for a stroll through the campground and came across some folks throwing a frisbee which of course put my boy in the mood, so we put his aerobie to good use :)
image28.jpg

The Dry River Campground is right at the base of the Frankenstein Trestle- more on this later!
image27.jpg

Dinnertime! My boy just LOVES Dinty Moore
DukeGirl.gif

image26.jpg

Kristhawee met a bunch of cute kids from Massachusetts and invited them over for Jiffy Pop after dinner. Then they invited him over to their place for S'mores. Good fun and good night!
image30.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Laughing.gif
Hiking to Arethusa Falls via the Frankenstein Cliff Trail, Crawford Notch, NH

Good morning from the Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch State Park, White Mountains, NH!
image29.jpg

A bit cold this morning, so much so that it merited starting a fire to ward off the chill. Here a good look at our camping spot-
image31.jpg

A wonderful discovery at the general store the previous day was this Bisquick "Shake 'n Pour" pancake mix. Terrible packaging what with all that plastic that will just end up in a landfill, but it sure can't be beat for camping convenience!
image32.jpg

Pancakes and cherries with butter and local honey for breakfast- YUM!
DukeGirl.gif

image33.jpg

image34.jpg

image35.jpg

Today's plan is to hike to New Hampshire's tallest waterfall- Arethusa Falls! The trailhead is just a short hike from our campground!
image36.jpg

Crawford Notch State Park Hiking Trails and Summits Map
It's a beautiful day! We pack water, snacks and our bathing suits and head out! It's just a short jaunt down the road to reach the Frankenstein Cliff trailhead-
image37.jpg

The Frankenstein Cliff trail is steep and a bit challenging!
image40.jpg

Frankenstein Cliff Trail, Crawford Notch State Park, NH
I see you!! ;)
image39.jpg

Nice and cool in the shade of the forest, Kristhawee powered up the steep trail like a champ! We hiked under the Frankenstein Trestle which is under construction. Would be cool too see a trail go by!
image41.jpg

The Frankenstein Trestle in Crawford Notch State Park, White Mountains, NH
Little guy started to run out of steam. No worries, take a break, we have all day!
image43.jpg

Lotsa critters in these woods- a well camouflaged toad:
image42.jpg

We pass small waterfalls on our way up-
image44.jpg

This trail is seriously steep!
image46.jpg

image47.jpg

Finally we reach the top and the trail levels out a bit-
image48.jpg

Frankenstein Cliff Trail, Crawford Notch State Park, NH
Another toad :)
image45.jpg

Some pretty awesome views from up here!!!
image49.jpg

image50.jpg

Looking north toward Arethusa Falls which is just a speck in the distance:
image51.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
We went the long way around via the challenging Frankenstein Cliff trail, but arriving at Arethusa Falls made it all worthwhile! No wonder Crawford Notch State Park is famed for its hiking trails!
image54.jpg

image55.jpg

Almost there!
image56.jpg

Banana Slug!
image53.jpg

Welcome to Arethusa Falls!
image63.jpg

image67.jpg

image68.jpg

Kristhawee at Arethusa Falls, Crawford Notch State Park, New Hampshire, USA!
image57.jpg

Arethusa Falls, Crawford Notch State Park, White Mountains, NH
image59.jpg

Father and Son at Arethusa Falls, Crawford Notch State Park, New Hampshire, USA :)
image58.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Father and Son Explore the White Mountains of New Hampshire!
image72.jpg

Arethusa Falls, Crawford Notch State Park, White Mountins, NH
We sure did enjoy the hike to Arethusa Falls! Now it was time to head back to camp and maybe do some swimming if the sun was still up! First we had to negotiate some footbridges that have seen better days
mwink.gif

image70.jpg

image71.jpg

Came across this cool old sign on our way back to the trailhead which gives a lot more info on these trails-
image73.jpg

We rode down to the local General Store for some more supplies and Kristhawee's new friends joined us again for Jiffy Pop after dinner
icon10.gif

image75.jpg

Little dude doesn't want to smile for the camera
lol8.gif

image150.jpg

I guess it's hard to smile when you've got a mouth full of popcorn!
icon10.gif

Dec 27, 2007
Father and Son ride Alpine Slide at Attitash Ski Resort in the White Mountains of NH!

The pancakes we had made the previous morning were such a hit that Kristhawee wanted more! Who am I to argue with such an excellent plan? ;)
image76.jpg

Today's plan is to ride up to the top of Mount Washington which, at 6,288 ft (1,917 m) tall, is highest peak in New England! It was another gorgeous day to ride!
image77.jpg

image78.jpg

image79.jpg

Some great roads in the White Mountains, not much traffic, and quite a few bikes out and about!
image81.jpg

image83.jpg

New England is famous for its covered bridges- here's a good example:
image84.jpg

image85.jpg

We arrived at the base of the Mount Washington Auto Road only to discover that there was a bicycle race taking place that morning and the road wouldn't be open to the public until afternoon... Oh well, no shortage of things to see and do in the White Mountains!

We followed some bikes back the way we'd come until we reached the Attitash Ski Resort (44.082921, -71.231112)
image86.jpg

Lots of activities here in the summer, including mountain biking, bungy jumping, Alpine Slide, Mountain Coaster and a whole lot more. We decided to give the Alpine Slide a try. Enjoyed a scenic ride up the Flying Yankee Quad chairlift- father and son selfie :mrgreen:
image87.jpg

Hamming it up a bit ;)
image88.jpg

Up up we go, back into the White Mountain National Forest-
image89.jpg

The Alpine Slide is pretty cool, over a mile long and basically a summertime luge?
image90.jpg

image91.jpg

image92.jpg

image93.jpg

After the slide we grabbed an overpriced lunch in the ski lodge- sure feels weird to be in a lodge in the summer time! Then it was time to once again hit the road and make another attempt at Mount Washington!
image96.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Father and Son ride to the top of Mount Washington, White Mountains, New Hampshire!

It's a short ride from the Attitash Resort to the Mount Washington Auto Road; upon arrival there was a queue of vehicles waiting to drive up, but it moved along fairly quickly.
image100.jpg

I asked a nice lady from New York to snap a pic of us while we were waiting in line :)
image101.jpg

This looks like fun :)
image102.jpg

The entrance to the Mount Washington Auto Road! Couldn't ask for a more beautiful day to ride to the top of New England's highest summit!
image103.jpg

The super nice lady at the ticket booth didn't charge me for my pillion :mrgreen: Off we go!
image104.jpg

The road is narrow and steep and there was a fair bit of traffic so we take it nice and slow. I wasn't expecting dirt though! Ah well, we've ridden worse!
image105.jpg

Father and son selfie on the Mount Washington Auto Road :)
image106.jpg

We made it to the top! :clap:
image109.jpg

The Summit of Mount Washington stands at 6,288 ft (1,917 m) tall and is highest peak in New England!
image115.jpg

image116.jpg

There is a really cool cog railway that also climbs all the way to the summit- They claim it's the world's first cog railway? I always assumed the Swiss invented these?
image114.jpg

image113.jpg

image112.jpg

image111.jpg

Once upon a time you could book a bunk at the Tip Top House, but now it's preserved as a National Historical Monument-
image118.jpg

image117.jpg

Father and Son on the top of Mount Washington, White Mountains, New Hampshire!
image122.jpg

It was fun to watch the cog trains work their way slowly back down the mountain-
image119.jpg

image121.jpg

image123.jpg

You'd never guess it from these pictures, but Mount Washington is famous for extreme weather and holds the world record for the highest recorded wind speed on the planet- 231 mph!!! :shock:
image125.jpg

There are movies and plaques inside the visitor center that tell of the dozens (hundreds?) of lives that Mount Washington has claimed. Pretty sobering stuff, but we've lucked out and can hang out in our T-shirts on this beautiful day!
image124.jpg

A couple shots back at the bike, then it's time to head on down.
image126.jpg

image127.jpg

image128.jpg

image129.jpg

Life is GOOD!!!

Dec 27, 2007
[h=1]Taking a dip in the Saco River, Crawford Notch State Park, White Mountains, NH[/h]
Riding down from the summit of Mount Washington-
image134.jpg

Really feels like we're on top of the world up here!
image132.jpg

image135.jpg
image136.jpg
image137.jpg

Here we are approaching the Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch State Park- you can see the Frankenstein Cliff off in the distance-
image138.jpg

We were running out of light but Kristhawee was keen to go swimming. A local ranger had told us there are some nice swimming holes in the Saco River. Let's see if we can find them!
image144.jpg

This will do nicely!
image145.jpg
image146.jpg

A gorgeous spot but oh how that water was COLD!!!
image147.jpg

Haha! Kristhawee took the camera and got some funny pics of daddy ;)
image142.jpg

Time to head back to camp before the sun sets and the temperature drops!
image148.jpg

The White Mountains of New Hampshire exceeded all expectations! Tomorrow we head to Vermont!
image149.jpg