Motorcycle Chains

Dec 13, 2009
Does anyone know if there are any places here in Thailand to buy Wurth high performance dry chain lube? This should be very good stuff and it should keep the chain much cleaner than normal "sticky" lubricants.

Jusu

Jun 24, 2011
Hello all. I am Woraphat at Chiang Rai Saddlebags. We have had several inquiries as to whether or not Veloil Chain Spray Lube is safe for o-ring style chains. We have forwarded this question to the Veloil company. After a long wait, Paul Rogers at Veloil has replied to us via e-mail with the answer. After in-house testing of Veloil on various o-rings used in chains, Paul tells us that they have determined that Veloil Chain Spray Lube is safe for o-ring style chains.

Dec 26, 2011
Chain lubes can be loosely classified into fling and non-fling. Fling being those that are more liquid in texture and will fly off the the chain. Non-fling are the lubes that are more adhesive than their fling counterparts and often comes as sprays. Fling lubes penetrate better but are less adhesive once the chain starts moving when compared to non-fling lubes.

Veloil Chain Lube is easily available and retails for about 70-80 baht per 200 ml can. I prefer this over the 400-500 baht Motul or Putoline! It is convenient to carry either under the seat or in a tank bag. A good rule of thumb is to use it every 300 kms. Best to do it immediately after a ride when the chain is warm to let the lube sink in. If the chain gets exposed to wet riding conditions, lube immediately (doesn't matter if the chain was lubed just 10 mins ago)! Little dollops (or sprays) of lube should be applied in the inner circumference of the chain to reduce the possibility of fling. Using little dollops also minimizes lube going on the tires. A simple method to prevent any lube going on the tire is to fold a 7-11 plastic bag in the size of a small tissue. Hold it behind the area of the chain that is being lubed.

SAE 90 is considered to be a good lube as it is thicker than oils normally used to lube the chain. It is inconvenient to carry it around all the time when compared to spray chain lubes. Here is a suggestion - after a long ride and if bike is dirty, put on liberal amounts of fling lube such as SAE 90 oil. Ride a little, let the excess fling off. Then wash the bike and put on non-fling (spray) chain lube :))

NOTE: WD-40 (WD stands for Water Displacement) is an anti corrosion agent not a chain lubricant. Sonax is similar to WD-40. Being lighter and highly viscous, they fling off more than fling lubes!

Mar 11, 2012
Since moving to Chiang Mai I don't really have the area to lube my chain myself, i.e the parking area in the condo building is sparklingly clean and I don't really wanna get Offsprays of veloil everywhere. Is there anywhere trustworthy in CM to take the bike to where they will properly clean the chain and lube it and should I bring my own lube. By the way, my Thai is pish, so I need to go somewhere they will understand me. Cheers.

Oct 17, 2006
I often drop a few drops of 3in1 or Singer light oil on my bikes chains before every major ride , the chains remain clean and suffer very little wear on any of my 3 Ducatis and no fling , I sometimes use chain sprays once a month either wurth dry lube or Sonax kettenlube for deeper penetration
also when i cleaan my chains I use parrafin to wipe off dirt and grease then some wd40 and finnaly lube the clean chain.

Jul 17, 2007
I use Putoline Chain Wax. 600Bt from Fast Corner. Tried Muc-Off but too much fling.

Attached files
281437=11769-putoline.jpg

KZ25

Nov 19, 2011
Some use WD40, some use SAE140 gear oil - these products are very different from each other, one is super-thin like water, the other has a consistency close to honey (but is not that sweet).
Which one to use? I think a heavy oil should make more sense on a chain.

mauris

May 15, 2009
Bump! :) Do you use rear stand to clean/lube the chain? Any idea where I could get one (pref in Chiang Mai)?

Jul 25, 2010
Khun Nat has paddock stands at the Piston Shop. B/-2000.00 I think but don't quote me.

mauris

May 15, 2009
Sooo, I got the rear stand from Kawa Big Bikes (ChM). I went there just before picking up my kids from school and was rushing a bit. I asked for the stand for versys; "mee, 1,600 B". So I took it without much hesitation. Paid, packed and off to school. At home I noticed that the side spools are for KLX :-/ Today went back to change, and..."mai mee". Extra 600 B but no stock. Well, there were another set for over 1,500 B, but that does not sound good (almost the same price as the stand).
Now, I'm in a hunt for the side spools. Ran around ChM with no luck. Kawa will have them in stock probably next month. Any recommendations for any BKK supplier?
Panda, RedBaron, DirtBikes....?

Dec 27, 2007
mauris;283417 wrote: Sooo, I got the rear stand from Kawa Big Bikes (ChM). I went there just before picking up my kids from school and was rushing a bit. I asked for the stand for versys; "mee, 1,600 B". So I took it without much hesitation. Paid, packed and off to school. At home I noticed that the side spools are for KLX :-/ Today went back to change, and..."mai mee". Extra 600 B but no stock. Well, there were another set for over 1,500 B, but that does not sound good (almost the same price as the stand).
Now, I'm in a hunt for the side spools. Ran around ChM with no luck. Kawa will have them in stock probably next month. Any recommendations for any BKK supplier?
Panda, RedBaron, DirtBikes....?
Just throw a couple of 10mm, 1.25 pitch bolts in the swingarm and you're good to go.

Dec 27, 2007
mauris;283485 wrote: Cheers Tony. That would do. Definitely practical. I just wanted to make her feel pretty :p
Heh heh, don't we all ;)

Swingarm spools should not cost you a lot of money. You can find swingarm spools of every color shape and design for cheap on eBay and various other online shops. $20 should get you sorted. Just use the 10mm bolts as a fix until your spools arrive.

Happy Trails!

Tony