"must-sees", Best Routes.. Etc... (info Please ! ^.^)

Discussion in 'North-East Thailand - General Discussion Forum' started by ZCM, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ZCM

ZCM Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hi all. Looking for tips..
    In this area, what would you consider to be some top "must-sees" and some of the best routes?
    Some info: I ride a 250cc and prefer tighter twisty routes than main highway, don't mind trails but not heavy off-road.
    I've never ridden in this area before, so all new to me.
    Thank so much!

d.

2. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    9A5074D6-AD9A-408A-80D9-2BC018ECCC7B. 54D92562-4630-433A-903D-7FC985A98FBA. Isaan is pretty flat thus its not a lot of twisties to be found there like in the north. At least when youre east of Loei, Chaiaphum and Petchabun provinces.

I crossed Isaan a few times and riding wise its not very inspiring. The only road I have enjoyed a bit is when following the Mekong south and east from Nong Khai and via Bueng Kan - Nakhon Phanom - That Phanom - Mukdahan - Amnat Charoen and keep east of the Sirinthorn lake before turning westbound again.

Like a continuation of the stretch R211 Chiang Khan - Nong Khai you can say.

Any sights along the way,

The Erawan cave along the R210 on the border between Lowi and Nong Bua Lamphu. A cave that goes completely through a carst mountain, accesibel by foot but prepare to sweat a little.

In Nong Khai: Sala Kheow Ku - the sculpture park - I think I saw you visited the sculpture park on the Lao side, this is made by the same man only at a later stage in life when he moved to the opposite side of Mekong. His body is on display on the third floor btw.

Nong Khai aquarium - not the most impressing aquarium, but still worth an hour of visit. There are many huge «pla beuks» there.

Nakhon Phanom - a plaesant Mekong provincial capital. Visit Ho Chi Minh old house and Indochina market.

That Phanom - is where one of the most important buddist shrines in Thailand are placed - Wat That Phanom.

In southern Isaan:

Old Khmer style temples are plentiful there. The best preserved is Ka Phanom Rung in Buriram province, a bit west of the town of Prakhon Chai along R24.

Another good one is situated in Phimai a bit north of Korat along R206. The temple ruins are situated just in the city center.

Khao Preah Viharn - actually in Cambodia but easiest acsess is from Thailand in Si Sakhet province. I dont know if its open for the moment, better check it out before a planned visit.

Just a few places that I know about and have visited. There are many more for sure...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ZCM

ZCM Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Thank you so much!

Gives me some things to consider.

Khao Preah Viharn sounds familiar. That's the temple there was dispute and fighting over some years back, right?
    I need to look up the story again.

Erawan has been on the bucket list for a while, so that would likely be a good one to visit.

Appreciate all the tips.

Brilliant.. Thank you!

4. Kiwi Cruiser

Kiwi Cruiser Ben Kemp
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    If you are going that way via Dan Sai (you should) here's a nice quiet route that I did last week.
    - 1246 / 1143 / 2013 - Nakhon Thai to Dan Sai
    - Dan Sai to Na Haeo and Chiang Khan on 2113 / 2195
    - then ride the Mekong River to Nong Khai on 211

Dan-Sai-to-Chiang-Khan.

5. DavidFL

DavidFL Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +937 / 0 / -0
  6. canthai

canthai Ol'Timer

Ratings: