"must-sees", Best Routes.. Etc... (info Please ! ^.^)

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Hi all. Looking for tips..
In this area, what would you consider to be some top "must-sees" and some of the best routes?
Some info: I ride a 250cc and prefer tighter twisty routes than main highway, don't mind trails but not heavy off-road.
I've never ridden in this area before, so all new to me.
Thank so much!

d.jpg

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
9A5074D6-AD9A-408A-80D9-2BC018ECCC7B.png
54D92562-4630-433A-903D-7FC985A98FBA.png
Isaan is pretty flat thus its not a lot of twisties to be found there like in the north. At least when youre east of Loei, Chaiaphum and Petchabun provinces.

I crossed Isaan a few times and riding wise its not very inspiring. The only road I have enjoyed a bit is when following the Mekong south and east from Nong Khai and via Bueng Kan - Nakhon Phanom - That Phanom - Mukdahan - Amnat Charoen and keep east of the Sirinthorn lake before turning westbound again.

Like a continuation of the stretch R211 Chiang Khan - Nong Khai you can say.

Any sights along the way,

The Erawan cave along the R210 on the border between Lowi and Nong Bua Lamphu. A cave that goes completely through a carst mountain, accesibel by foot but prepare to sweat a little.

In Nong Khai: Sala Kheow Ku - the sculpture park - I think I saw you visited the sculpture park on the Lao side, this is made by the same man only at a later stage in life when he moved to the opposite side of Mekong. His body is on display on the third floor btw.

Nong Khai aquarium - not the most impressing aquarium, but still worth an hour of visit. There are many huge «pla beuks» there.

Nakhon Phanom - a plaesant Mekong provincial capital. Visit Ho Chi Minh old house and Indochina market.

That Phanom - is where one of the most important buddist shrines in Thailand are placed - Wat That Phanom.

In southern Isaan:

Old Khmer style temples are plentiful there. The best preserved is Ka Phanom Rung in Buriram province, a bit west of the town of Prakhon Chai along R24.

Another good one is situated in Phimai a bit north of Korat along R206. The temple ruins are situated just in the city center.

Khao Preah Viharn - actually in Cambodia but easiest acsess is from Thailand in Si Sakhet province. I dont know if its open for the moment, better check it out before a planned visit.

Just a few places that I know about and have visited. There are many more for sure...

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Thank you so much!

Gives me some things to consider.

Khao Preah Viharn sounds familiar. That's the temple there was dispute and fighting over some years back, right?
I need to look up the story again.

Erawan has been on the bucket list for a while, so that would likely be a good one to visit.

Appreciate all the tips.

Brilliant.. Thank you!

Kiwi Cruiser

Ben Kemp
Staff member
May 26, 2007
Thailand
If you are going that way via Dan Sai (you should) here's a nice quiet route that I did last week.
- 1246 / 1143 / 2013 - Nakhon Thai to Dan Sai
- Dan Sai to Na Haeo and Chiang Khan on 2113 / 2195
- then ride the Mekong River to Nong Khai on 211

Dan-Sai-to-Chiang-Khan.jpg