Pai to Wiang Haeng Shortcut

Gary

Jan 4, 2004
Does anyone know of a route that would take me from either Pang Mapha or Pai through to Wiang Haeng area without having to go all the way to Mae Taeng then up to Chiang Dao?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gary
The Pai - Wiang Haeng track is on my Mae Hong Son loop guide map & its one of the rougher ones in North Thailand.
Something I would not normally recommend especially on your Transalp 400?) unless you were an experienced dirt rider.
Its a few years since I have been down there, but most reports indicate that it's still a "toughie."
But having said that, give it a go & let us know how it is, it might not be so bad.
AND PLEASE dont forget to look me up, when & if you are in Cnx.
I'm doing the MHS loop starting tomorrow, so if you see an Africa Twin on the loop Tues - Wed (- Thurs?) that's me.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

robbie

Jan 26, 2017
Phuket
Hi,

I'm in wiang haeng now and thinking of trying the shortcut to pai tomorrow A local tells me that it's a decent road.. Whatever that means . Has anyone done this recently? I'm on an Africa twin crf 1000 on stock tires so can't really afford hardcore off-road.. Thanks

Guzzibs

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Jul 20, 2018
I did it start of the wet this year on a CB500X with decent tyres and suspension(Rally Raid). The bike was well up to the job with some Mitas 50/50 tyres. I am by no means a great rider more a competent plodder being the wrong side of 50 now. I would encourage you to have a go as most of the really steep sections have been concreted in the last couple of years. Is a great ride one I really enjoyed.

Reactions: robbie

robbie

Jan 26, 2017
Phuket
I did it start of the wet this year on a CB500X with decent tyres and suspension(Rally Raid). The bike was well up to the job with some Mitas 50/50 tyres. I am by no means a great rider more a competent plodder being the wrong side of 50 now. I would encourage you to have a go as most of the really steep sections have been concreted in the last couple of years. Is a great ride one I really enjoyed.
Thanks.

robbie

Jan 26, 2017
Phuket
Thanks David!

BTW I did the route this morning and was awesome. There's only one section heading down with tricky ruts full of stones and pebble and it's in a steep section so as long as long you keep the line and don't end in those ruts it's all fine, even for my heavy bike with pretty much street tires

Reactions: Oddvar