R I P John Schottenheimer

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
DSC_1892.JPG

Good long time mate & riding buddy John Schottenheimer passed away in the USA on 8 April 2018 after a battle with cancer.

John was a fabulous guy & always fun to be around with.
30515586_10156541249588755_2690092110502523249_n.jpg

When I first met him 25+ years ago, he was based in Singapore flying 747 for Singapore airlines. But I didn't meet him in Singapore, he used to ride up from Singapore for a couple of days on his days off, say hello & then ride back to Singapore!! Such was his spirit & love of riding big fast bikes. He did it numerous times. Through John I met David Lek & Hubert, who started off the first BMW Motorcycle Club in Thailand. And today we are all still good mates - because of John!

John came on the GTR Memorial ride to MHS in 2015
IMG_5434.JPG

A true gentleman, honest & extremely generous he was loved & respected by all who knew him.
He enjoyed life & lived it to the full.

On his last visit he came 24 hours after his final chemo treatment in the USA.
Got on the first plane he could & flew over for a couple of days to say hello.
He never indicated that his time might be up soon, but just carried on as normal like the good ol mates we were.
Sadly he didn't last a great deal longer & it was a shock that the news filtered through from the USA.
DSC_0082.JPG

RIP John, you were always a joy to be around & go for a ride with.
Cheers mate.

Note this post is a bit slow coming, because it has taken time to find some photos of John.

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
RIP John.
Saddened by the news of his passing. One of the good guys.

Moto-Rex

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Singapore 95.JPG
John GS1100 Nan.JPG
Giving Godi a lift.JPG
River drink stop 1.JPG
Making friends.JPG
Elephants at the jucntion.JPG
John David Singapore 95.JPG

Drink stop in Nan somewhere.JPG

Phrao Wieng Pa Pao dirt ride.JPG

Since bein in Oz I had little contact with John for various reasons, unlike the years in Cnx when he would rock up out of the blue at times, or call and say meet me in Phuket or Had Yai tomorrow for some riding. Such a great guy to ride with and would always help out when things got problematic!
I only ever took a few picture when we were out riding since photo stops were not at all high on the priority list. Getting from where ever point A was, to where ever point B might be was far more fun/important than snapshots lol
One of the most memorable rides was heading down to Singapore with John and Suhani on the Honda Blackbird. I was on my Ducati 851 and within 10 minutes of having crossed into Malaysia and getting past the 110 kph sign it was full on.... Hard to forget being r edlined in top gear (indicated 245 kph) on the Ducati and John cruising past me with a grin on his face,two up on the Blackbird with ease !
Needless to say it was a very quick trip :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
So great to go on the memorial ride again after having missed so many of them while living out of the country. It was a brilliant ride and a great group of people that attended. Everything was well organised with one minor slip up.... No mention of the new plaque added this year for John Schottenheimer who had many mis-adventures and rode thousands of kilometres frequently to come riding up here. The Mae Hong Son long was one of his favourites and he'll be sadly missed by many.
On the bright side though, I had the pleasure of having a fantastic pillion with me for the ride who endured the whole trip perched on the back of the Ducati and never complained at all!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I think some of the others enjoyed Your Pillion more than You David, Specially when following Ha Ha!
Yes We should of said something about John but time wasn't really on Our Side but maybe next year? Cut down on to much Formal stuff and have the Ceremony at the Chedi and have a little said about each Person who's name is on it? That would be nice!

Reactions: scotty007

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
So great to go on the memorial ride again after having missed so many of them while living out of the country. It was a brilliant ride and a great group of people that attended. Everything was well organised with one minor slip up.... No mention of the new plaque added this year for John Schottenheimer who had many mis-adventures and rode thousands of kilometres frequently to come riding up here. The Mae Hong Son long was one of his favourites and he'll be sadly missed by many.
On the bright side though, I had the pleasure of having a fantastic pillion with me for the ride who endured the whole trip perched on the back of the Ducati and never complained at all!

Yes sincere apologies for that slip up re John. It certainly wasn't intended, but somehow in the rush to get things moving along I neglected to speak on the Chedi members & mention the addition of John's plaque. But rest assured it will be corrected next year. He certainly was a good dear long term friend & it would be great for you to speak about him next year, as you were much closer to him.