Safety for Women in Laos

Oct 18, 2005
Hi there,
My sister and I are in our early twenties and are planning to cycle from Vientiane to Luang Prabang in Feb 06. Has anyone done this before and how safe is it for two girls to go by themselves?
Thanks!

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Are you talking pedal bike or motorcycle?

By motorcycle, it is a 1 day trip, and many of us have done it multiple times, with no problems.

For pedal bike, Lonely Planet publishes a cycling guide that profiles the route. Most people do the rout North to South.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Oct 18, 2005
We're using pedal bikes (I don't think I could be trusted on a motorcycle!!).

I'm pleased to hear you've had no problems.

Thanks for your reply.

Aug 31, 2005
Alexi,

I'm sure you've checked all this already in your trip planning but its a good idea to read your country's travel advice for Laos (usually on their state dept. or MFA websites). There are next to no decent medical services in Laos (take a look at the Vang Vieng hospital when you get there). Take a first aid kit and know how to use it. And be careful riding around Vientiane, bag snatching by motorscooter riding thieves is quite common and they're known to be violent on occasion (women are the targets). Oh and be ready for that oncoming 4WD or bus on the wrong side of the road coming around a blind corner.

If you're in the habit of checking in regularly with family and friends via email during your trips you should let them know if you think you're going to head into an area without internet cafes and check in again once you reach your destination. Families tend to worry when the regular contact stops.

Have fun.
Mike

Mike

Jul 7, 2005
Please post a report after you complete your mission,I got to hear about this one.
Good luck and enjoy the views!