Sangkhla Buri To Umphang, 2 Day Ride Through The Jungle...

Sep 16, 2009
BignTall wrote: Mike,

I did a couple rides with Dirty when he was here. This was after his leg fracture and knee problems.

Sorry to see him head back to the states. He would of loved this ride I'm sure!!!

Glad to see the good luck show itself for you on this ride. I'll be back over in April and around for awhile if you'd like to hook up and explore.

Once again a fantastic ride report :D !![/img]
Hey BignTall, Dirty will be back this summer I think. He's just gone back to get educated.... Thailand is under his skin now, he can't stay away too long. He wants to try this ride in June, but I think it might be too wet by then...

April, on the other hand, is a good month for me. Long weekend around April 6, Chakri Day, and might be able get 10 days at Songkran, although that is not the best time to ride.

I am still working for a living, here in Bangkok.... Alas.

Thanks for your kind words! This trip was pretty damn good....

Mike

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Hot from the press is this superbly illustrated tome which attests to Mike & Robert's achievement.

you can view Mike's work online and those who are feeling a little flush can order a copy as well

http://www.blurb.com/books/1601197

I notice the approving comments of the GTR FL are quoted on the back cover.
:clap:

Again well done Mike for putting this together, a worthy testament to a great trip.
Also, to Mike's skills with his trusty PowerShot S90 and Lightroom.
Note, Robert has contributed a number of great images to this work as well.

Jack who rode with Mike & Robert tells me the track should be rideable sometime in November.
You contact him on the number & email posted earlier.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Rhodie wrote: Hot from the press is this superbly illustrated tome which attests to Mike & Robert's achievement.

image.php

you can view Mike's work online and those who are feeling a little flush can order a copy as well

http://www.blurb.com/books/1601197

I notice the approving comments of the GTR FL are quoted on the back cover.
:clap:

image.php

Again well done Mike for putting this together, a worthy testament to a great trip.
Also, to Mike's skills with his trusty PowerShot S90 and Lightroom.
Note, Robert has contributed a number of great images to this work as well.

Looks like a good buy. I'll be getting one.
Thanks for the tip-off Rhodie. :thumbup:

Oct 1, 2005
The shot captioned "On the road from Umphang to Mae Sot. A village nestled in a valley. This road is truly one of the world's most majectic highways." is truly superb.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Wouah! Great stuff, great adventure and wonderful pictures. I can not believe that such trails exist so near to home. There are still jungle paths around here, in addition to our splendid mountain "highway" escapes.

Dec 8, 2009
this was indeed a great story, we all have a duty to support the areas used for our own enjoyment by supporting the locals

The real story of Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary and Huay Kha khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary is plight of the Klity Lang villagers.

Local mining company Lead Concentrate Co buried the ore tailings from its mining venture, which closed in 1999. Tests of the water supply showed the ore contaminated Klity Creek, causing many residents to fall ill.The company buried the tailings at sites about 10 metres away from the creek, the main water source of the village's residents. Many villagers developed symptoms of lead poisoning.
What might be of greater concern to a many Thai people and Kanchanaburi Tourists is the water running through the Klity creek feeds the Sii Nakharin Reservoir.

The tragedy was first made public 13 years ago after a large number of these ethnic-Karen villagers fell sick and died from a mysterious illness and an unusually high percentage of newborns were found to be physically or mentally handicapped. The culprit was thought to be a nearby lead mine whose owner was accused of releasing untreated toxic waste directly into Klity creek, the village's main source of water. The stream was found to contain a layer of dangerously contaminated sediment which the relevant authorities have refused to remove, reasoning that to disturb it would only spread the poison more widely. While villagers have received treatment for superficial symptoms of ill-health, officials have refused to link the rash of cases to lead poisoning.
Claiming that their plight has been deliberately ignored because of racial prejudice, the Klity villagers sought redress from the courts, enlisting the help of several human rights groups.( www. Karenhilltribes.org.uk ) They recently won the first leg of their legal action, but it will take years, perhaps even decades, for their case to reach the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, they have to continue living in a highly toxic environment.
The Department of Water Resources has been in charge of constructing the two check dams with a budget of 5.5 million baht to collect sediment. The project is expected to complete by the end of the dry season.

Surapol Kongchanthuek, director of the Karen Studies and Development Centre who was also a member of the department's committee to solve pollution problems in the creek, said he was disappointed by the delay in rehabilitation projects.

Surachai "Nga" Chantimatorn ( Nga Caravan )gave a series of three "Heart to Heart" concerts at Bangkok Arts and Culture Centre to raise money for victims of lead poisoning in Klity Lang village.

Through our adventure tours, bringing visitors to Kanchanaburi Province we want to support these people and show their plight is not being ignored.

Jul 25, 2012
Awesome! Well done, and even if it was a while ago now, it's still fresh for someone who's not come across the thread before.
Great pics, great fun I'm sure. Itchaa mak mak! :D

Mar 30, 2010
Nice bump David..

Mike and Robert certainly started something with this ride.

Jack must have a waiting list now 555

Cheers
Brian