Saxonator's Sick Enduro Video Diary

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
and another fantastic ride on yet another new track discovered by out 62 year old friend from Austria. Today Oskar came along and he did great. I lost at some point my phone in the middle of the Jungle. Later on I faced some issues with the starter motor and was forced to turn around, should have left the kick starter on the bike.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
and another fantastic ride on yet another new track discovered by out 62 year old friend from Austria. Today Oskar came along and he did great. I lost at some point my phone in the middle of the Jungle. Later on I faced some issues with the starter motor and was forced to turn around, should have left the kick starter on the bike.

That bit @ 17.37 + is nuts.
Did you see any mushrooms?

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
no mushrooms, I think they need rain too after the burning, yes agree after 17 plus minutes it got pretty nuts

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Finally back on the bike, after my XR250 smoked like a 2T, I had to do a quick rebuild, fortunately a friend of mine still had a 77mm Wiseco Piston, that was still good, so I used that one and could do it the cheap way.
The bike runs great. Today we hit out behind Ang Keb Naahm Mae Jo and Mae Khuang Dam, there is still so much unexplored terrain, so it is always fun to connect the little trails to get a nice map. There's some insanely steep hill climbs, that are pretty hard to do, but no problem today. After 2 hours ride had a break for a swim and then continued our mission further more into the deep jungle. Good fun, hope you enjoy. Cheers

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Cheers David, just trying out something, my equipment gets pretty old, same like me I guess. Sometimes it is very hard to create stuff and keep up with all that new technology. Hope you still enjoy somehow.

Reactions: DavidFL

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
What a great Sunday, my buddy and me knew already we probably gonna bump into some group of Thai riders, as Sunday's it is always very busy behind Ang Keb Nahm Mae Jo.
Just shortly after entering the "Lost Phone" Trail we met the first bunch, we rode with them for a while until they split off to repair a Tyre. Erich and me tried an insanely steep hill climb,
I didn't get the required grip with my worn off Tyre. I was forced to turn around when myself encountered a flat Tyre. Luckily there's a repair shop not to far down the road that is open on
Sunday''s and can fix a flat. Out of a sudden Khun Bank from Mae Rim showed up with a bunch of riders and he asked me if I knew some new tracks around here. I took them along a nice
hill climb and then we re-joined with Erich on Top.

Some of those bikes must have been 40 years of age and assembled in some hidden backyards...some were in such desperate condition, that I didn't expect they could make it very far into the
Jungle. Good attitude from those guys. I cannot believe we managed to bring home every bike undamaged. A wonder. After a very steep down-hill section we were ready for some cooling at the lake
. By now it was 5 pm, everyone was super tired and I just jumped into the lake with my complete Enduro gear...haha. Bank took the bike into the lake and gave the rear wheel a fast spin so
we could take a nice shower. So much fun riding with different groups and ending the day like this was for sure a highlight.

Snapshot 2021-06-21 09.31.37.png Snapshot 2021-06-21 09.32.50.png

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003

and yet another day in our second home the Jungle around Mae Jo/Mae Faek. Erich told me already about this new insane hill-climb, that would bring tears of joy to my eyes :p. He didn't disappoint me as usual and it was for sure
an insane climb. The trail was named after a trail in Romania, the local rider's referred to as "Christopher Weg" or in English Christoper Trail. Last time riding I ran out of juice and didn't have no power in this crazy heat. Today the riding temperature was near to perfect . Before getting to that climb we had to cover a couple of kilometers of tarmac and some fast gravel roads, before we landed on the small single trails that brought us to the hill of no return.

Happy, as I just fitted a new Quick rear tire to my XR the day before, I was ready for this adventure. But you cannot be to sure about the overall condition of the track, because of the ever-changing weather here in the North. Today the grip was better then expected, but the loose rocks were still a bit of a hurdle to take. Slowly those old 4-stroke vintage machines carved their traces into the mountain moving slowly forward without regret. The Honda XR's are like tractors, they just keep going forever with little maintenance. We carried on for quiet a bit over the top of the hills until we reached a very long down-hill section. We had stunning views over the surrounding neighborhood, almost a 360 degree view. As we reached a very nice rock formation it was time for a crazy descent, at one point we had to push our bikes, because the surface was too loose to get grip and we didn't want to risk falling down there. In the video it doesn't look steep as usual and one can only wonder if there;s ever gonna be a solution for this. How can it be, that having a slop between 45 and 60 degree and still everything looks flat like a mattress.

After leaving all those climbs and down-hills it was time to hit back towards Mae Jo over yet another single trail, but to our surprise the track was so insanely overgrown, that we just couldn't make out the trail. Nevertheless I insisted of pushing through this. It's always a bit of a risk when doing this, because you cannot make out the underground and many times we got stuck in swamp like conditions, that costed us valuable time. But not today we just tracker-ed thru all that mess without regret. After 20 minutes plus in that condition we finally found the entry of the single trail. Happy Days! Ah not just yet...Damn! The Bamboo had overgrown the track in most places and we had adjust our speed accordingly. After fighting with, small gravel, little stones, hard rocks and big boulders and spiky Bamboo we had enough of all this for today and we had some Kao Soi on our way back home.

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Today a little bit of a change. Not motorcycle related, just a little fun video I made. I had this 70's Disco Beat in my head with a bit of a Jazz Funk vibe. Instead of doing solos, I decided to record some clips from my conversation on "Line" with my Thai GF, this was fun, put it in the sampler of my DAW and launched it over the music I did. After that I took all kind of phone apps to create the video material and later the cartoon like elements. The music will be in the next upcomming riding video. Have fun and be safe

Reactions: Oddvar

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Today a little bit of a change. Not motorcycle related, just a little fun video I made. I had this 70's Disco Beat in my head with a bit of a Jazz Funk vibe. Instead of doing solos, I decided to record some clips from my conversation on "Line" with my Thai GF, this was fun, put it in the sampler of my DAW and launched it over the music I did. After that I took all kind of phone apps to create the video material and later the cartoon like elements. The music will be in the next upcomming riding video. Have fun and be safe

You've never looked so handsome Rudi. I'm impressed.

• Love
Reactions: saxonator

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
It started of as splendid day with my Son’s new Kawasaki KLX 150 and me on the good ol’ Honda XR 250. My son is a pretty good rider for his 15 years of age and his fitness is beyond what I could ever ask for.

At least I got a little more juice in my engine and I tried to give my old Iron Horse the spores. Which went well until my stamina dropped down to frightening lows. So we carved our way thru the mountains of the surrounding Area behind Mae Jo and we jumped for a bit on the well known Mae Jo Loop, but not too long before we entered what we have called “Rock Garden Hell”.

This is the section where my son on his old KLX 125 took a dive from a cliff boring a hole into the crank case. From that time on I called it “Rock Garden Hell”.

We were now about half way into the naughty dried river bed section, it was narrow but immense fun, only the Bamboo reminded us of riding a bit slower, it is a bit like being tortured with a wire brush, if you ride too fast here.

This time of the year the jungle grows like crazy and everything was completely overgrown and it was sometimes hard to make out the trail. The nice boulders had collected a lot of green moss and the traction was not the greatest over those rocks. My son’s bike didn’t start anymore and it was quiet some task to push it through those gnarly sections. It took a lot of stamina to do this. Turning around was not an option, as it was all downhill so far and pulling the bike up, would have been insane.

So we kept going. But little did we know, what expected us a Kilometer further more down. At the spot where Oskar went down the cliff before, there was a snake inside the tree, probably a Malayan Pitviper, but not 100% sure. Tried to make a video, but the footage was not usable, you don’t see anything in it, we were not close enough.

I was trying to start the KLX 150 on the downhill section, but the underground was too soft and even in 4th gear it wouldn’t start. So I decided to get a rope in the next village and went off and kept Oskar waiting for me. After about 20 minutes it was pretty clear, I would not be able to get out of the Jungle before dark. So I decided to turn around and get my son. Now my bike started to make crazy things and it would die every 5m for no obvious reason. I decided to leave the bike now and walk back to my son. It was still about 2 km, but not too bad at all. When I was close enough I shouted after Oskar to get his things and come towards me. After the third attempt he finally understood and came towards me a couple of minutes later.

Now it was already after 18hrs00 and I knew if we cannot get out soon of this situation we may face serious consequences. No water, no food, no power…do I need to say more? I spare you the rest.

The Honda kept going for maybe another Kilometer with both of us before it war retired in a wild overgrown corner of the Jungle. Luckily both of our phones were still on over 80%, so we still had torches for a while. Still no reception on the phone and now it total darkness and very narrow
bamboo grove.

We both were very thirsty and hungry. Both 3l bladders were empty and we didn’t have any more supply from our camel bags . We had to leave most of the gear behind because it was too heavy and I was pretty sure we had to walk at least 10 to 15kms to reach civilization. We had a few naps of 10 minutes and then kept going. I still was not 100% sure if I was on the right trail or not. I must have had great luck about 21:30 we found ourself on a wide gravel road, that I was able to recognize. Yes we were on the right trail and we are getting closer, but still no reception on the phone.

After walking for another half hour we finally got reception and my GF was on the phone. I tried to tell here the whereabouts, but very hard to explain if you never have been in that area. My daughter still remembered the track and so they organized a car in no time and we got picked up at about 22:30.

We had some quick water and then jumped on the back of the pick-up before going straight to a Seven 11, to fill our stomaches with all kind of food.
At 23hrs00 we were finally back home, a quick shower and then every one fell into a very deep sleep.

Day 2: The RESCUE

As I don’t have a car anymore we had to borrow the pick-up truck from some friends. We started off 10 am and arrived at the Jungle site, shortly after. Now it would be a lot of cutting, sawing and clearing the path to the bikes out. The Honda was only 2kms away, but the Kawasaki was much deeper in the jungle and it would be a long walk.

After half an hour we got the Honda, there we left the grass trimmer behind as it was of little use. The Machetes did a much better job. My wife was collecting bamboo on the way to keep here spirit up. The fresh bamboo out of the jungle is the best. The bag got heavier and heavier and we had to leave behind us and would be collecting it later on, on our return. The bush got tighter and tighter and the saw and the machete were constantly at work. We took another break in a shady Bamboo grove for a couple of minutes before continuing the uphill section. And more bamboo shoot, this time even bigger. There was not stopping my wife now. She was totally into this and I didn’t want to stop her either because I know how good here bamboo curries are. While digging out a fresh shoot, she got attacked by some nasty Jungle Wasps. Extremely painful and the swelling started immediately.

She must have sat there for about 10 minutes, the pain was so strong she could barely move. After that the pain disappeared and the swelling got better again.

Never seen anything like this. Really Crazy. Now we had the little Kawa going up and down the path over roots and rocks and old tree stumps. Su pulled the rope like a dehydrated camel on chilies. Once we left the forest section we got into the high grass and reed section. My wife pushed, Oskar pushed and Su pulled like a tractor. What an unbelievable pace over this uneven terrain. A few hundred more meters and we would enter another bamboo grove. We had to clear some more to get the bikes through. Shortly after that we arrived at the Honda. I geared up and tried to start it again. To my very surprise it ran, but would go out whenever I would turn the steering to the left, so I tried to avoid going left, which was almost impossible, but at least the bike was up and running and tried everything not to kill the engine. 15 minutes later I arrived at the car and shortly the rest of the gang arrived in good spirits but totally knackered. Uploaded the Kawa and rode the Honda back home.

I am totally grateful to have a family like that, everyone was such a force today. Time for a well deserved shower and hopefully a great Gaeng Nomai (Bamboo Curry)

This is my son's video from our mission

Reactions: Oddvar

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
It started of as splendid day with my Son’s new Kawasaki KLX 150 and me on the good ol’ Honda XR 250. My son is a pretty good rider for his 15 years of age and his fitness is beyond what I could ever ask for.

At least I got a little more juice in my engine and I tried to give my old Iron Horse the spores. Which went well until my stamina dropped down to frightening lows. So we carved our way thru the mountains of the surrounding Area behind Mae Jo and we jumped for a bit on the well known Mae Jo Loop, but not too long before we entered what we have called “Rock Garden Hell”.

This is the section where my son on his old KLX 125 took a dive from a cliff boring a hole into the crank case. From that time on I called it “Rock Garden Hell”.

We were now about half way into the naughty dried river bed section, it was narrow but immense fun, only the Bamboo reminded us of riding a bit slower, it is a bit like being tortured with a wire brush, if you ride too fast here.

This time of the year the jungle grows like crazy and everything was completely overgrown and it was sometimes hard to make out the trail. The nice boulders had collected a lot of green moss and the traction was not the greatest over those rocks. My son’s bike didn’t start anymore and it was quiet some task to push it through those gnarly sections. It took a lot of stamina to do this. Turning around was not an option, as it was all downhill so far and pulling the bike up, would have been insane.

So we kept going. But little did we know, what expected us a Kilometer further more down. At the spot where Oskar went down the cliff before, there was a snake inside the tree, probably a Malayan Pitviper, but not 100% sure. Tried to make a video, but the footage was not usable, you don’t see anything in it, we were not close enough.

I was trying to start the KLX 150 on the downhill section, but the underground was too soft and even in 4th gear it wouldn’t start. So I decided to get a rope in the next village and went off and kept Oskar waiting for me. After about 20 minutes it was pretty clear, I would not be able to get out of the Jungle before dark. So I decided to turn around and get my son. Now my bike started to make crazy things and it would die every 5m for no obvious reason. I decided to leave the bike now and walk back to my son. It was still about 2 km, but not too bad at all. When I was close enough I shouted after Oskar to get his things and come towards me. After the third attempt he finally understood and came towards me a couple of minutes later.

Now it was already after 18hrs00 and I knew if we cannot get out soon of this situation we may face serious consequences. No water, no food, no power…do I need to say more? I spare you the rest.

The Honda kept going for maybe another Kilometer with both of us before it war retired in a wild overgrown corner of the Jungle. Luckily both of our phones were still on over 80%, so we still had torches for a while. Still no reception on the phone and now it total darkness and very narrow
bamboo grove.

We both were very thirsty and hungry. Both 3l bladders were empty and we didn’t have any more supply from our camel bags . We had to leave most of the gear behind because it was too heavy and I was pretty sure we had to walk at least 10 to 15kms to reach civilization. We had a few naps of 10 minutes and then kept going. I still was not 100% sure if I was on the right trail or not. I must have had great luck about 21:30 we found ourself on a wide gravel road, that I was able to recognize. Yes we were on the right trail and we are getting closer, but still no reception on the phone.

After walking for another half hour we finally got reception and my GF was on the phone. I tried to tell here the whereabouts, but very hard to explain if you never have been in that area. My daughter still remembered the track and so they organized a car in no time and we got picked up at about 22:30.

We had some quick water and then jumped on the back of the pick-up before going straight to a Seven 11, to fill our stomaches with all kind of food.
At 23hrs00 we were finally back home, a quick shower and then every one fell into a very deep sleep.

Day 2: The RESCUE

As I don’t have a car anymore we had to borrow the pick-up truck from some friends. We started off 10 am and arrived at the Jungle site, shortly after. Now it would be a lot of cutting, sawing and clearing the path to the bikes out. The Honda was only 2kms away, but the Kawasaki was much deeper in the jungle and it would be a long walk.

After half an hour we got the Honda, there we left the grass trimmer behind as it was of little use. The Machetes did a much better job. My wife was collecting bamboo on the way to keep here spirit up. The fresh bamboo out of the jungle is the best. The bag got heavier and heavier and we had to leave behind us and would be collecting it later on, on our return. The bush got tighter and tighter and the saw and the machete were constantly at work. We took another break in a shady Bamboo grove for a couple of minutes before continuing the uphill section. And more bamboo shoot, this time even bigger. There was not stopping my wife now. She was totally into this and I didn’t want to stop her either because I know how good here bamboo curries are. While digging out a fresh shoot, she got attacked by some nasty Jungle Wasps. Extremely painful and the swelling started immediately.

She must have sat there for about 10 minutes, the pain was so strong she could barely move. After that the pain disappeared and the swelling got better again.

Never seen anything like this. Really Crazy. Now we had the little Kawa going up and down the path over roots and rocks and old tree stumps. Su pulled the rope like a dehydrated camel on chilies. Once we left the forest section we got into the high grass and reed section. My wife pushed, Oskar pushed and Su pulled like a tractor. What an unbelievable pace over this uneven terrain. A few hundred more meters and we would enter another bamboo grove. We had to clear some more to get the bikes through. Shortly after that we arrived at the Honda. I geared up and tried to start it again. To my very surprise it ran, but would go out whenever I would turn the steering to the left, so I tried to avoid going left, which was almost impossible, but at least the bike was up and running and tried everything not to kill the engine. 15 minutes later I arrived at the car and shortly the rest of the gang arrived in good spirits but totally knackered. Uploaded the Kawa and rode the Honda back home.

I am totally grateful to have a family like that, everyone was such a force today. Time for a well deserved shower and hopefully a great Gaeng Nomai (Bamboo Curry)

This is my son's video from our mission

Oh man that is insane Rudi. Nuts!
I bet you're both happy to be out there in one piece & alive.
An epic adventure if it ever was, some great survival bonding with Oskar, & one never to be forgotten.
Why do "we" do stuff like that? Because we can, it is Thailand. And what a wonderful recovery team you had, everyone just joined in and "went along for the ride." Imagine those cost of that recovery in the West.
Aint it great to be alive & living here, doing what we do.
What's the next adventure?

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Yes indeed I am grateful every day for living here and enjoying the nature, the food and the lovely people that surround my life. Also my son has proofed himself to be a real fighter and not giving up easily in a situation like this I think very important to stand your man no matter what. Me I was reminded that, I am now 53 and no more as fit as I used to be and I felt every meter on the way back. But it is all in good spirits because exercise is never a bad thing.
I will not ride Enduro for at least 5 days:p

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
After a month in the Roi Et area of the Isarn, I was happy to get back to my beloved mountains. The Isarn experience was fantastic but I missed my mountains a lot. Took my son along on his Kawasaki KLX 150 and my mate with his
Chinese made KTN...KTM copy. All bikes performed very well and I was surprised how good the Chinese copy was. The tracks here are so insanely cool and after not having had the opportunity to ride any Enduro in the Isarn, I was more than happy. We planed a little ride, but as usual it turned into a massive Enduro ride. We still had lot of fun. The riding conditions are perfect right now, the only thing you have to watch out is those sharp bamboo spears that stick out. The mushroom pickers always cut back the bamboo which is great, but sometimes the way they slice it makes a very sharp spear out of it. One gotta be really careful about that. What a blast and everyone did well. Let's enjoy the video now. Have a good one :cool:

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003

Many of you here know I am a very heavy guy. Some already told me to retire from dirt bikes and get a Harley Davidson or any other sofa, that complies with my standards...555. The last ride with the XR I fried my piston and it was time for yet another rebuild. So what can one do, if he doesn't want to rent a bike. And to add to my protection, nobody that knows me will rent out a bike to me anyway...So here we go sitting 2 weeks at home, bicycle riding is not what I really want. So I asked my son, if he would lend me his bike. ( it\s my bike anyway...555) no problem from his site. The next morning I collected my mate at 9:30 and off we went. Man that little Kawa has some nice punch to it, but once it get steep, it is hard work with my weight. The sitting position is not my favorite and standing on that bike is not an option at least for my size. So I tried my best to make the bike work and it did better than I expected. Not a very long ride only a couple of hours. But so grateful to be out in the jungle again.

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Great to be back on a normal sized bike. The Honda XR250 got a CRF sleeve inside the XR cylinder (don't ask me how they did it...555) and a fresh CRF 75.5 mm Piston, that should be roughly 266cc, so now I got less cc, but the bike performed very good on this awesome little track. Today was a long run and we were out a couple of hours thru very gnarly terrain. First the "Lost Phone" track, then "Stairways to heaven" after that a pretty long uphill section with very steep areas and last not least we connected to "Ron's LOOP". Both bikes did very well and I had a lot of fun riding even though being totally out of shape and towards the end I felt every meter on the bike. As I didn't remember the track 100% we got first a bit lost but could get back shortly on the track again. Everything pretty overgrown and it's hard to see anything in the high grass and bushes. We started 10 am and got back at 15:30, so that was 5 hours of proper workout.

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003

nice little ride with my buddies, one is already 68, but still rides like a young god. On our way to the top of the mountain we met a small Enduro group of mostly 15 years old riders with modified Honda Waves and Honda Sonics.
Surprisingly they did get up every obstacle we threw at them an even cleared a section that local refer to as "Din Dum" or Black Earth hill climb. After the rain it was quiet a challenge, but yet everyone did very well. We rode a couple of hours with those local guys before we had some food in Pong Yang. By now it was 15:30 and we took a gnarly little single track back down to Mae Rim. Great day indeed!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

nice little ride with my buddies, one is already 68, but still rides like a young god. On our way to the top of the mountain we met a small Enduro group of mostly 15 years old riders with modified Honda Waves and Honda Sonics.
Surprisingly they did get up every obstacle we threw at them an even cleared a section that local refer to as "Din Dum" or Black Earth hill climb. After the rain it was quiet a challenge, but yet everyone did very well. We rode a couple of hours with those local guys before we had some food in Pong Yang. By now it was 15:30 and we took a gnarly little single track back down to Mae Rim. Great day indeed!

Awesome Rudi. Isn't great having all this fun right on your doorstep. So easy to take off & go for a brilliant ride. Imagine how far you'd have to go back home to do something like that & ride around freely. Well done again. Nice VDO.

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003

so they said there's this mountain in Pai that nobody yet had conquered. Now this is just too much for me and I had to check it out myself. My two 68 and 62 year old buddies were the first to get up there just about a week ago.
don't know if true or not, but the guys from Pai Enduro assured us it was. So here we go after a long ride from Mae Rim to Pai, about 180 km of dirt and tarmac we finally arrived in our guest house. The next day it was time to conquer Mt. Doom...maybe there a Thai name for it too...haven't found any info on that yet. As it is still very cold in Pai this time of the year, we had to wait until 10 am before we could left. Shortly after filling up fuel we were sweating already on the winding little trails up the mountain. Later on we had to leave on of our mates behind due to an issue with the fan on the CRF. So it was safer to turn around for him.
The rest of the day demanded from us full concentration during the ride. Many steep sections up-hill and down-hill, lots of giant rocks and a lot of obstacle to be tackled. At around 3:30 we got out near by Huay Nam Dang camp site....as we were all exhausted we took the asphalt road back home. A great day

saxonator

Subscribed
Jun 1, 2003
Awesome Rudi. Isn't great having all this fun right on your doorstep. So easy to take off & go for a brilliant ride. Imagine how far you'd have to go back home to do something like that & ride around freely. Well done again. Nice VDO.
yes how true, how easy one forgets after all those years, what a hassle it was riding a dirt bike back home