Some news from the border Thai - Laos ?

Feb 8, 2009
Today a Lao friend call me. When you ride in the future by a group with more than 4 bikes in Laos you need a guide and a POLICEMAN. A guide was clear but a POLICEMAN thats crazy. Someone knows more ?

Jan 4, 2014
angkor1;301053 wrote: Today a Lao friend call me. When you ride in the future by a group with more than 4 bikes in Laos you need a guide and a POLICEMAN. A guide was clear but a POLICEMAN thats crazy. Someone knows more ?
Maybe someone official to carry the group's crates of Beerlao?

But seriously, what constitutes a group of four bikes? Are we talking about organised tours or four guys turning up on four bikes? "Us a group? Surely not Mr. Official, we just met whilst waiting in the queue for our visas"

Mar 30, 2010
When we crossed over at Chiang Khong back in February.

The Thai side said to wait and go over in three groups of not more than four, so we didn't have any hassle on the Lao side.

We waited about 30 to 40 minutes after each group of bikes went over before the next lot proceeded.

1932248_732058443484757_1965530807_n.jpg

A couple of months later when crossing at Tha Li.. No drama what so ever.

The other guys had ridden up from Loei. I rode really early in the morning from CNX.

When crossing over at the Lao side the fellas were finishing off their paper work.

The Lao side was very relaxed and very quiet.. Didn't care about how many bikes and no questions or looks or concerns on either side of the border.

Cheers
Brian

Feb 8, 2009
Hello Brian, with how many bikes ?

This message comes today from Laos.

I ask my friends in Vientiane who run the trip and also I be the tour guide for him many time . He say to me what we have to do :

1 Tour itinerary ( example Hueixai to LuangNatha ......where to stay , what name of the Hotel and guesthouse. )
2 Tour permit
3 caravan permit
4 police tourism come with the group ( you have to pay for him everything : fly ticket to Huei Xai and back to Vientiane , accommodation and food )
5 tour guide
( When make tour permit and caravan permit done can not change itinerary )

Mar 30, 2010
angkor1;301067 wrote: Hello Brian, with how many bikes ?

This message comes today from Laos.

I ask my friends in Vientiane who run the trip and also I be the tour guide for him many time . He say to me what we have to do :

1 Tour itinerary ( example Hueixai to LuangNatha ......where to stay , what name of the Hotel and guesthouse. )
2 Tour permit
3 caravan permit
4 police tourism come with the group ( you have to pay for him everything : fly ticket to Huei Xai and back to Vientiane , accommodation and food )
5 tour guide
( When make tour permit and caravan permit done can not change itinerary )
Hi Angkor1,

I don't doubt and agree with what you have been told.

Just detailing what we were asked to do to avoid the problem on the Lao side.
We staggered the bikes going over in to 3 groups of not more than four.

At the Tha Li crossing they didn't care.

Cheers
Brian

Jan 9, 2011
Oh, that's not a good news.
Entered Laos sometimes, with large group of bikers, met police checlpoint along the way, but they did not do anything to us.
My latest time riding in Laos was May2014, three bikes, no issue so far.
Hopefully this is just a hoax.