South Laos - 3 Central Laos

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Excerpt: I closed my south Laos loop with a stop-over in Savannakhet and Na Hin (visiting Tong Lo caves). The journey, back to Chiangmai through Loei, under permanent showers, was a less fun ending for this, otherwise pleasant, tour.

South Laos Trip

Part 3 - Central Laos

See also:

First part - Ferry Tales (Champasak province): South Laos - 1 Ferry Tales

Second part - Around the Bolaven : South Laos - 2 Around the Bolevan

My other posts about North Laos (1)

Sawan and Tha Khek

Even after a lazy day, I was unable to escape from another Pakse breakfast. When I left the hotel, with a contented stomach, it was already seven o’clock. My plan for the trip was still loose and I headed north, on “route 13”. “Sunny side up”, mist veiled the morning, before evaporating to a blue sky.

DSC_8356.jpg

An ubiquitous French legacy, are the red caped "tomb stone" kilometer markers. Passing "Lak 94", I remembered the peculiar way some villages are named in Laos. The word "lak" refers to a stick, marking a length, a kilometer for that purpose. It is followed by a distance, written in letters or numbers and, sometimes, becomes the name of a place. A hamlet called "Lak 94" is thus located at that distance from an important city. The systems sacrifices poetry for the sake of efficiency, and several places, around the country, have identical names.

DSC_8361.jpg

DSC_8357.jpg

DSC_8366.jpg

The long 230 kilometers, from Paxe to Savannakhet, run on a straight line, up to the horizon. Few curves, a couple of villages, low traffic, beside cattle and erratic dogs, are moderately entertaining.

In Savannakhet I checked in to "Nong Soda Guesthouse". Nothing really fancy, apart of the localization, on a promenade, near to the Mekong. Huge VIP rooms are at 80'000 kip.

DSC_8373.jpg

DSC_8367.jpg

It was still early, and I jumped on my bike again, for a visit of the neighborhood. The majestic second "Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge" connects Savannakhet to Mukdahan. It is a possible way back from Laos, but again, closed to Thai registered bikes in the opposite direction.

A new "route 9", leading traffic toward the east border and Vietnam, also serves as a ring-road for the city.

DSC_8370.jpg

DSC_8377.jpg

Another interesting site is "That Ing Stupa", a sacred temple. According to a legend, Lord Buddha has visited this place during his journey to this region.

DSC_8379.jpg

DSC_8382.jpg

DSC_8384.jpg

DSC_8390.jpg

DSC_8391.jpg

Decrepit buildings testify about the importance of Savannakhet as a colonial trading center and "Talat Yen Plaza", surrounded by many old houses, in front of the Catholic church, is an interesting spot to ramble downtown.

DSC_8410.jpg

DSC_8414.jpg

DSC_8417.jpg

As I rested on a river boat restaurant, heavy downpour curtained the landscape. The short shower, however, quickly traveled over the Mekong and I was gratified with an extraordinary spectacle; large rain clouds played against the colored light of the dusk, skillfully mixing shades of blue and red.

DSC_8433.jpg

DSC_8449.jpg

DSC_8473.jpg

DSC_8475.jpg

DSC_8479.jpg

After dinner at Anakoit, a Japanese restaurant with a wifi connection, I stumbled upon Jérôme, a French AT biker and a mine of local information.

"Nong Soda Guesthouse" has no restaurant and I started my journey, at six o'clock, with an empty stomach. In Sawan, early mornings are busy with joggers, cyclists and lines of monks walking for alms, but I did not spot any open restaurant.

The departure on "route 9" is smooth. After a couple of kilometers it crosses "route 13", and I headed north again, on a pastoral link, passing a couple of villages with cheering kids, happily on their way to school. It is difficult to conceive that this is the main highway, the traffic spine across whole Laos.

DSC_8485.jpg

DSC_8486.jpg

DSC_8493.jpg

DSC_8496.jpg

DSC_8500.jpg

In Thakhek, my stomach noticed a "wifi" sign, an usual marker for coffee and European food. Actually, I had just stopped in front of Inthira, a lovely boutique hotel located in a colonial building. Breaking my journey in that attractive city was tempting, but, after just 130 kilometers, and at eight o'clock in the morning, it was really early.

DSC_8517.jpg

DSC_8518.jpg

DSC_8524.jpg

After the meal and a quick visit of the neighborhood, I departed again. My mind was made up, I would drive to Ban Khoun Kham, on a road to Vietnam, near Kong Lo caves.

Thakhek is linked to Nakhon Phanom through a ferry, offering another opportunity to cross back to Thailand. Soon, however, the completion of the third "Lao-Thai Bridge" will replace it; half a blessing for bikers, if Laos keeps its border crossing policy.

Passing bridges over Mae Nam Pakan and Mae Nam Hinboun, I reached Vieng Kham intersection, were the itinerary bifurcates east, toward the Andaman mountains.

DSC_8528.jpg

DSC_8533.jpg

DSC_8539.jpg

DSC_8543.jpg

DSC_8551.jpg

DSC_8552.jpg

DSC_8557.jpg

"Route 8" and Kong Lo caves

As I left old friend "route 13", I discovered an amazingly smooth trail: "route 8" ("Asian highway 15") leading to Lak Sao and to the Vietnamese border. It crosses Khammouane province, nicely winding and climbing the mountain, often shaded by large canopies and punctuated with rugged limestone cliffs. Children were just heading home from school, giggling and gesticulating toward a weird foreigner traveling outside of a tourist bus.

DSC_8560.jpg

DSC_8563.jpg

DSC_8565.jpg

DSC_8566.jpg

DSC_8568.jpg

DSC_8572.jpg

DSC_8579.jpg

DSC_8586.jpg

DSC_8588.jpg

At kilometer 36, a well marked "sala viewpoint" offers a glimpse toward Khammouane limestone forest. Karst peaks are displayed against a green background of mountains, covered with pristine forests.

Thai tourists, traveling by bus, were assiduous taking each others portraiture against this scenic backdrop. They stopped on their way back from Halong Bay, another limestone marvel.

DSC_8590-Edit-Edit.jpg

DSC_8591-Edit.jpg

DSC_8593.jpg

DSC_8603.jpg

In Na Hin (Ban Khoun Kham) I choose "Mi Thuna Guesthouse". Located at the entrance of the hamlet, it is an appropriate familial shack (rooms are at 80'000 kips).

DSC_8677.jpg

DSC_8609.jpg

"Route 8" runs for another hundred kilometers, straight to the Anamite Range, toward the Vietnamese border. It passes the village of Lak Sao (twenty kilometers to nowhere) and leaves Laos at Na Phao, continuing to Vinh.

DSC_8612.jpg

DSC_8613.jpg

DSC_8614.jpg

DSC_8625.jpg

DSC_8633.jpg

DSC_8640.jpg

DSC_8647-Edit.jpg

DSC_8660-Edit.jpg

DSC_8662.jpg

DSC_8668.jpg

"The infamous dog road", could be the nickname of "route 8"! Almost every day, a truck loaded with one thousand puppies, collected from nearby Thai provinces, drives his "palatable" cargaison to Vietnamese delicacy restaurants. Luckily, I was spared the sight of such a convoy, as these transportation conditions are depressing (2).

Another curiosity of Na Hin are the numerous karaoke bars. They cater for more than singing lust, serving Vietnamese travelers and the large community of foreign workers from the hydraulic plants.

DSC_8675.jpg

Distance of this day's trip: 270 kilometers

Heavy rain, drumming on my roof, and loud thunder, echoing through the mountains were wake up calls, announcing bleak weather perspectives. My plan to visit the Kong Lo caves, before driving further to Pakxan, were flooded, just leaving some hope for an acalmy. After a comfortable breakfast, I jumped on my bike, at ten o'clock, keeping the room at Mi Thuna for another night.

A new 50 kilometers paved road links Ban Khoun Kham to the Kong Lo caves, providing an easy access to that tourist attraction. Huge electricity pylons line up along the straight beginning of the journey, a reminder of the region's importance as a power supplier.

After passing a couple of hamlets, like Na Sangkham and Ban Muang, the trail ends at Ban Gnang, in the middle of a forest, at the rim of Nam Hinboun.

DSC_8691.jpg

DSC_8692.jpg

DSC_8693.jpg

DSC_8698.jpg

DSC_8699.jpg

Under menacing karst boulders, the river serenely flows out of a large cave. A motorized pirogue and two pilots are needed to navigate the subterranean waters (fix price at 105'000 kip). If completed, the seven kilometers journey would takes about one hour, in each direction. The cave is large, but furious rapids often shake the frail canoes and, in total darkness, there are few thinks to see.

DSC_8700.jpg

DSC_8703.jpg

DSC_8705.jpg

Somewhere in the middle of the cruise, a dry branchout resembles a temple compound, with natural stalagmite stupas. After visiting that place, I had seen enough darkness and returned to brighter perspectives.

DSC_8707.jpg

DSC_8714.jpg

DSC_8718.jpg

DSC_8724.jpg

DSC_8726.jpg

DSC_8730.jpg

DSC_8732.jpg

DSC_8738.jpg

DSC_8753.jpg

Reaching the end of the tunnel was a relief; without being particularly claustrophobic, I prefer the vibrancy of life illuminated by daylight.

DSC_8757.jpg

DSC_8759.jpg

DSC_8763.jpg

DSC_8767-Edit.jpg

DSC_8769.jpg

DSC_8771.jpg

Back on the same route, I took time to enjoy the sights at Ban Gnang, a couple of guest houses and the bucolic landscape along the road. As the sky darkened, drizzle moistened the pavement, eventually turning into rain. I took my last shots and sealed my camera in a waterproof bag; she would remain there for most of the next days.

DSC_8782.jpg

DSC_8783.jpg

DSC_8785.jpg

DSC_8790.jpg

DSC_8797.jpg

DSC_8803.jpg

DSC_8807.jpg

SL%252520nahin.jpg

Back to Thailand

The next morning, I started a long and wet strory back; just one cloud, all way long. Despite the rain, "route 8", with his "rolling stones" landscape was still amazing. "Route 13", to Pakxan, is again flat and straight, sometimes following the rim of mountains and crossing pristine rivers, like the Nam Kading.

The south access to the "Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge" is a newly cut cemented road, still closed to the traffic at that time. With some acrobatic maneuvers, it was feasible on a bike, and I passed Thai immigration rapidly, too rapidly, as I would discover a couple of month later.

From Nong Khai, I rushed to Loei and, after 478 boring kilometers, merrily checked in to "Thuang Sap Guesthouse". It is at a walking distance from "Baan Yai", my beloved Isan restaurant. Indulging in some of my favorite dishes was a happy ending for this Laos loop. I ordered bamboo caterpillars, mushrooms and grilled pork neck, everything sticked together with glutinous rice and washed down with "Bia Singh".

DSC_8815.jpg

DSC_8819.jpg

DSC_8818.jpg

Six o'clock, Sunday morning; only rain, mist and monks walking under their umbrellas, were on "route 203" up to Phu Rua. Near the summit, an impressive landslide cut two of the 3 road lanes. In addition to the downpour, I was greeted with wind and fog, only missing snow, still a rarity, even in Loei province.

Longing for my usual coffee stop, I wondered if it would be open. To my surprise, a convenient "Amazon" had be build at the summit's petrol station, providing a warming up americano.

While gliding down the mountain, toward Dansai, the sky opened and the road became dry. The ride, on the way to Nakhon Thai, Chatrakan and Uttradit was again enjoyable but, abruptly, the shower came back, hanging around till destination.

Driving the last kilometers to Maerim, and after two week in Laos, I was amazed, that so many vehicles can be together on a road, "fast and furious".

For this trip, my odometer accumulated 3048 km. Starting in Chiangmai, without "mailing" the bike to Ubon, would add another 1000 km to this itinerary. October is still wet and the last two days, from Khoun Kham to Loei (478 kilometers) and Loei to Maerim/Chiangmai (490 kilometers), were under water. The first sector, from Ubon to Pakse was also extremely rainy. During the rest of the trip, large cumulus usually punctuated the sky, but the trails remained often dry.

The complete photo story can be found at : Album Archive

(1) References to my other Laos trip reports. All suitable for road bikes and "solo" driving:

North-Central Laos:

An Easy Road to Laos - 4. Back to Nong Khai

South Laos:

North-West Laos:

(2) Reference to Dog trucks : http://www.austinbushphotography.com/2010/04/dog-trucks.html

If you appreciate GT-Rider website, "like" the page on Facebook:
GTRider

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapters of the complete trip report:

1 Ferry tales

11 Crossing at Chong Mek
12 Champasak – Wat Phu
13 Kong Island

2. Around the Bolevan

21 The waterfalls
22 A Bolevan shortcut
23 Pakse

3. Central Laos

31 Savan and Tha Khek
32 Route 8 and Tong Lo
33 Back to Thailand

Last edited by a moderator:

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you friends for appreciation. As a «Nikonian», my boxes and glases are from that brand (with some exceptions, like Fuji X100). GT-Rider friends, however, take stunning pictures with Canon G12. It all depends how much stuff one likes to hang around the neck for driving. Cheers

Apr 22, 2011
Thank you Jurgen. I really enjoyed in your amazing photos, all the time. Please let me know when you are replacing your Nikon so I can take over. LOL

Nov 13, 2011
Nice photos and report - its an area I havent been to yet but will try and go over this dry season.

Thanks again for posting.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
An update with some info on Tha Khek

Khammouan province has been certified 71 French buildings and houses as historical conservatories to preserve as a historical learning center for the next generation and become another important province for attracting domestic and international tourists.
Mr. Sihnguan Inthalard, Deputy Mayor of Thakek, interviewed through the town of the Lao National Radio on May 12, 2023 that: According to the Provincial General Assembly, the General Assembly of the City is set to make Thakek a municipal city in 2024 and to be the center of investment, trade and tourism of the province because it is the city with many outstanding tourism sources, including buildings France, it has appointed a committee responsible for the survey of the old French colonial buildings and registered them as a national heritage with special rules, which consisted of four houses: Thakhaeknue, Thakhaekkang, Lao Phoxay and Somsanouk villas with a total of 71 buildings, of which 28 public buildings and 43 people manors. After.
Deputy Mayor of Thakek: Khammuan governor has agreed on the article 225, dated February 28, 2023 that the buildings and houses have been certified as historical monuments, with the aim to preserve the future generation to know that Thakek is one of the cities in Laos ruled by French colonizers, is to continue protecting Thakek city on 21st Educate the minds of the children and be a historical study. It will also become one of the major tourist attractions of the province in attracting both domestic and international tourists.

Source: Lao Youth Radio